TV Series

It was announced today that Cobra Kai will end after next season.  They pretty much admitted straight up there will be a spinoff and possibly multiple spinoffs.  

The one big question I have for the final season (Click and drag below to view):

Will Hillary Swank make an appearance.  She is pretty much the only big name that has not shown up from the Miyagiverse.  

On 1/18/2023 at 7:50 AM, oblong said:

I struggled with Hamilton and it's my own doing I think.  I like the subtitles on.  Especially with singing I have always struggled with hearing what they say.  But for Hamilton it was distracting because after 15 minutes I found myself just reading a very brief history of things I already knew.  I was missing the "performance" of it all.  So I turned them off and it was better.

But.... I don't know.  It didn't get me like apparently everybody else in the universe.  I was "meh" about it. I'm not a musical guy at all.  I think it's because of the aforementioned problem understanding what they are saying in the song. To me it's just noise.  I can't pick out the word

I am a musical guy, and I crapped out on Hamilton maybe third song in. I will grant that it’s fresh (or it was in 2015, at least), but it simply didn’t grab me, probably for the reasons you list out here.

I can’t imagine how awful it would have been had I dropped a couple hundred bucks for a seat in the back of the theater just to hear words bouncing all over the place due to imperfect acoustics. Spam-a-lot was that for me, and Hamilton is twice or three times faster.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 10:18 AM, chasfh said:

I am a musical guy, and I crapped out on Hamilton maybe third song in. I will grant that it’s fresh (or it was in 2015, at least), but it simply didn’t grab me, probably for the reasons you list out here.

I can’t imagine how awful it would have been had I dropped a couple hundred bucks for a seat in the back of the theater just to hear words bouncing all over the place due to imperfect acoustics. Spam-a-lot was that for me, and Hamilton is twice or three times faster.

I sat through a JR High version of Newsies (my daughter did the sets) on Friday night.  The singing wasn't great but the actual performance of it was great.  There is value in live performance even if its middling quality.   I really, really enjoyed the speed and tempo of the singing in Hamilton.  The words per minute from the performers coupled with the dancing is just mesmerizing on the screen.  I can only imagine how good that would look live.  I'm not in agreement with the grumpfart view on Hamilton.

On 1/18/2023 at 12:34 PM, oblong said:

Regarding The Queen's Gambit.... I'm not a chess person at all and I loved it so don't let that stop you.  It hooked me immediately.

The Crown on Netflix is good. 

I watched one episode of the most recent year and stopped.  I really enjoyed the Clair Foy seasons.  The Olivia Coleman years have their moments but she plays her with resting bitch face so much that it really contrasts.  I don't know what to make of this year's. 

I love Jimmy Mcnulty so much that its hard to see Dominic West do anything else.  He is in Rogue Heroes as a foppish intelligence operative in Cairo -- he's in 300 as the bad guy but, man i just can't help but see him and hear him say "what the [bleep] did I do?"

Just now, romad1 said:

I watched one episode of the most recent year and stopped.  I really enjoyed the Clair Foy seasons.  The Olivia Coleman years have their moments but she plays her with resting bitch face so much that it really contrasts.  I don't know what to make of this year's. 

I love Jimmy Mcnulty so much that its hard to see Dominic West do anything else.  He is in Rogue Heroes as a foppish intelligence operative in Cairo -- he's in 300 as the bad guy but, man i just can't help but see him and hear him say "what the [bleep] did I do?"

Also, the leap from Vanessa Kirby (tall) to Helena Bonham Carter (short) is jarring.   I realize the Bonham Carter family are pretty much part of the family firm so she probably had special dispensation to appear.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

I sat through a JR High version of Newsies (my daughter did the sets) on Friday night.  The singing wasn't great but the actual performance of it was great.  There is value in live performance even if its middling quality.   I really, really enjoyed the speed and tempo of the singing in Hamilton.  The words per minute from the performers coupled with the dancing is just mesmerizing on the screen.  I can only imagine how good that would look live.  I'm not in agreement with the grumpfart view on Hamilton.

I agree about live theatre. I'm also one of those folks who saw Hamilton three times (twice in Chicago and once in Detroit) and enjoyed each performance. Each time I took away something different.

BTW if you ever get a chance to see To Kill a Mocking Bird with the touring company, do so. We saw it last Summer in DC. Richard Thomas had the Atticus Finch Finch roll. The remade Broadway play featured Jeff Daniels. The play was written by Aaron Sorkin. Much better than the 50 year old movie

59 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I agree about live theatre. I'm also one of those folks who saw Hamilton three times (twice in Chicago and once in Detroit) and enjoyed each performance. Each time I took away something different.

BTW if you ever get a chance to see To Kill a Mocking Bird with the touring company, do so. We saw it last Summer in DC. Richard Thomas had the Atticus Finch Finch roll. The remade Broadway play featured Jeff Daniels. The play was written by Aaron Sorkin. Much better than the 50 year old movie

Greg Peck was no slouch 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, romad1 said:

My critique was not grmupfarty. I love hip hop. This particular thing just didn't grab me, and I also have a technical issue with the live performance of fast singing in an imperfectly acoustic theater.

9 hours ago, romad1 said:

Also, the leap from Vanessa Kirby (tall) to Helena Bonham Carter (short) is jarring.   I realize the Bonham Carter family are pretty much part of the family firm so she probably had special dispensation to appear.

Speaking of tall, and separate from your comment about the Jimmy McNulty casting because I also can't think of anything but The Wire in anything I see him, what is the deal with casting Elizabeth Debicki as Princess Di? I know Di was pretty tall, but she wasn't 6'3" like Debicki is, who completely towers over literally everyone else in every scene she is in, and it is completely distracting.

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

Speaking of tall, and separate from your comment about the Jimmy McNulty casting because I also can't think of anything but The Wire in anything I see him, what is the deal with casting Elizabeth Debicki as Princess Di? I know Di was pretty tall, but she wasn't 6'3" like Debicki is, who completely towers over literally everyone else in every scene she is in, and it is completely distracting.

Seriously,  they should have had her act in a trench.  She's a very pretty lady but she's a skyscraper.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, romad1 said:

Greg Peck was no slouch 

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

My critique was not grmupfarty. I love hip hop. This particular thing just didn't grab me, and I also have a technical issue with the live performance of fast singing in an imperfectly acoustic theater.

I'd like to see a hip hop musical of the Guns of Navarone to see how they would do this scene

Or this

Edited by romad1

On 1/21/2023 at 11:13 AM, oblong said:

We finally got to The Last of Us.  Really liked it. Never knew of the game it’s based on so that’s not a requirement. I suspect you might appreciate some things if aware. It’s like an intelligent Walking Dead. Exceeded my expectations. 

Same. Watched both episodes last night, so now impatiently waiting for Sunday night. I don't much care for the look of the "clickers", but that's pretty nitpicky. I also didn't play the game (but was aware of its existence), so it may very well be that the design comes from the game. I've heard others say that it's pretty faithfully recreated a lot of other elements, so that's probably the case.

One thing I liked was they didn't do that stupid thing like TWD where there's silence then suddenly there's a walker in front of you growling.  Like you only hear it if you see it?

Hearing the clicking while hiding to make your move is both more realistic and more important scarier.

I don't recall what happened in which seasons, it all runs together.  We stuck with it more like a chore but outside of the Negan backstory episode nothing really stood out to me.  The last season or two were definitely the best of the run since the early days.  Once the effects of shooting under quarantine and all that wore off they could do it properly.