TV Series

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Ugh I was thinking about trying it out.

And I really wanted to like it, too.

I'm all for including queer themes in the story mix, because queerness certainly existed in the actual league back then. After all, the reason the real players back then got charm school training, frankly, was to teach them how to not act like dykes in public while they were representing the league. It was considered crucial to the success of the league that they crush any hint of out lesbianism among the players. So directly tackling queerness as a challenge of the time in some detail would have definitely passed the smell test.

What doesn't pass the smell test is all the anachronistic language, present-day speech patterns, and use of famous rock songs (e.g., "Piece of My Heart") as featured pieces. All of it yanks you right out of the era, forcing you to wonder why they make such choices instead of just being able to immerse yourself in the story. (Answer: because they're talking to a 2022 woke audience, not a 1943 wartime audience. Even if I understand that, it's still distracting as hell.)

As for the concept of queer relationships, not only is it included, it actually constitutes the A story, above the baseball itself. The baseball serves as a mere conduit for bringing the characters together so they can discuss and otherwise explore their sexuality in their off-hours. There are long stretches of no baseball in this show.

And worst of all, to me anyway, is that the baseball they do portray is just terrible quality, at least in the first couple of episodes. Outside of a couple of decent swings at the plate, and maybe one good infield throw, they're not even pretending to try to make it look realistic. Few of these actresses are decent athletes, at least in a ball-playing sense. The pitchers are especially bad, in particular the black girl they highlight. And the players and their play are so marginalized and insulted by coaches, PA announcers, and fans that I simply cannot believe it went down like that, even close to it. I guess they feel they need to lean into the victimhood to get you to care about these women while they are on the field.

Again, I have seen only two episodes, and I may try to slog through at least one more, but it won't take much more to make me completely bail on it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Anyone watch Lord of the Rings?

We caught the first two episodes.  It is the most beautiful thing on TV by far.  Somewhat on the slow side and a little disjointed but I think we will keep watching it.

Does Amazon Prime put any of their stuff out on Blu Rays...?

I don't have it and am wondering whether I should incur the cost or instead purchase The Rings of Power by season on Blu Ray, if that were an option. Actually, that would be my preferred option.

I don't shop much on Amazon, it's not zero but it's pretty damn close to zero. I don't see Prime as an attractive option unless there were some compelling reason... I don't even know how much it costs...

43 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Does Amazon Prime put any of their stuff out on Blu Rays...?

I don't have it and am wondering whether I should incur the cost or instead purchase The Rings of Power by season on Blu Ray, if that were an option. Actually, that would be my preferred option.

I don't shop much on Amazon, it's not zero but it's pretty damn close to zero. I don't see Prime as an attractive option unless there were some compelling reason... I don't even know how much it costs...

I doubt they do.  I just looked for Bosch DVD's and all you can find are out of region releases.

LotR is being released weekly.  So wait a bit until all the episodes are released if you end up going that route.  

On 9/4/2022 at 4:19 PM, Deleterious said:

Anyone watch Lord of the Rings?

We caught the first two episodes.  It is the most beautiful thing on TV by far.  Somewhat on the slow side and a little disjointed but I think we will keep watching it.

We're starting it this week some time. It's perfect timing because we just watched LOTR all the way through. At first my children were disinterested and spent the first half hour drawing on their drawing pads while looking up occasionally. After the first half hour the drawing pads were down and they were fully engaged.

I rewatched the Hobbit movies (well two and three) and had to reverse my opinion on them. I don't think i finished the second one originally or I fell asleep so I didn't bother with the third. A rewatch found me thoroughly enjoying them.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2022 at 7:15 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

On a recommendation we started Yellowstone. This first episode is just dragging. Anyone else have any encouragement to keep going?

I started Yellowstone last night, and I agree with you. I'll give it some time, but the first episode definitely dragged. I had been wanting to watch it, but don't subscribe to Paramount+ and the first season is only on Peacock. I noticed though that DirecTV has a Paramount channel. I setup a recording for all episodes and waited. Finally last weekend they had a marathon of all of the previous seasons, so I got them all. Now I have 38 more episodes to watch. LOL! I'll watch a couple more this week, and if it doesn't grab me by then, I'll just delete them. 

45 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I started Yellowstone last night, and I agree with you. I'll give it some time, but the first episode definitely dragged. 

I keep being told that it is a great show. We've watched three episodes and a lot of the acting is really bad. I think there is a lot of eye candy for people who like cowboys and I suspect that this is a huge part of the recommendation from one person who keeps saying how great it is.

7 hours ago, oblong said:

If you are a Star Wars fan then you probably are watching Andor.  If you are a casual fan.... you need to watch.

I think it's hands down the best SW TV series and the best thing they've done overall in a very long time.

Diego Luna is a great actor. He did a fantastic job playing Félix Gallardo in Narcos Mexico.