TV Series

I wish there was something close to Breaking Bad & Better Call Saul.     

I have been re-watching shows lately.............I work 3 jobs, 2 of them from home, so often I am doing something work-related and not paying intense attention to whatever's on.      I hear this TV series called Detroit Red Wings is pretty good, but it's always on different nights.  

I've been a huge fan of The Crown. It's easily been one of my top five shows of all time. However, Season 5, which just started, made a critical error in hiring Dominic West to play Prince Charles. Besides the fact that West looks nothing like him, every time I see him on screen, I can't not think of The Wire. It's completely distracting. And the casting of Jonathan Pryce as Prince Philip isn't much better.

On 11/10/2022 at 8:21 AM, oblong said:

If you are a Star Wars fan then you probably are watching Andor.  If you are a casual fan.... you need to watch.

I think it's hands down the best SW TV series and the best thing they've done overall in a very long time.

COMPETE CONCUR.  This is the best Star Wars content that exists.  It is superior to most other TV that exists.   Stellan Skarsgard and Andy Serkis speaches in episode 10 were both all-time Emmy bait worthy of the stuff of Gregory Peck and David Niven in the "Guns of Navarone."  

On 11/11/2022 at 3:44 PM, chasfh said:

I've been a huge fan of The Crown. It's easily been one of my top five shows of all time. However, Season 5, which just started, made a critical error in hiring Dominic West to play Prince Charles. Besides the fact that West looks nothing like him, every time I see him on screen, I can't not think of The Wire. It's completely distracting. And the casting of Jonathan Pryce as Prince Philip isn't much better.

King Jimmy McNulty

Speaking of Dominic West.  I see that he is in the BBC series "Rogue Heroes" which is about the formation of the Special Air Service in WWII.  I watched the first episode last night.  It was good.  Historical.   I listened to the UK "We have ways of making you talk" podcast about this and appears they approve of it on the whole although the use of swearwords is definitely a nod to modernism.  The show has a cool AC/DC infused soundtrack.

Edited by romad1

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched Hey Pepsi, where's my jet (Netflix). Not bad, not great. Interesting story about the kid who tried to sue Pepsi to get a Harrier. The interaction between the kid, John Leonard, and his "mentor" Todd Hoffman is very interesting. That along with the executives from PepsiCo and their advertising agency. 

We've been watching a bunch of Masterpiece Theater & BritBox.  Finished several series, including Shetland, Miss Scarlet & the Duke, & Magpie Murders, & now we're kind of at a loss as to what to watch.  We're waiting for January when most of the things we keep up with bring their new seasons.  My wife isn't a fan of anything too blue, & loves murder mystery kind of stuff.  Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

We've been watching a bunch of Masterpiece Theater & BritBox.  Finished several series, including Shetland, Miss Scarlet & the Duke, & Magpie Murders, & now we're kind of at a loss as to what to watch.  We're waiting for January when most of the things we keep up with bring their new seasons.  My wife isn't a fan of anything too blue, & loves murder mystery kind of stuff.  Any suggestions?

Assuming you've kept up with All Things Great and Small. It's based onthe James Harriott book.

My wife really got into the series based on Michael Connelly's Bosch novels...I think they are on Prime. Basically a detective series I liked the lead character.

You also might want to check out Strike or C B Strike. Another detective series based on JK Rowlings (Robert Galbraith) novels. 

On 11/29/2022 at 11:34 AM, CMRivdogs said:

Assuming you've kept up with All Things Great and Small. It's based onthe James Harriott book.

My wife really got into the series based on Michael Connelly's Bosch novels...I think they are on Prime. Basically a detective series I liked the lead character.

You also might want to check out Strike or C B Strike. Another detective series based on JK Rowlings (Robert Galbraith) novels. 

Yes we are all caught up on All Things Great & Small - We both loved the Bosch novels, but weren't all that enamored with the series.  I don't mind flawed "heroes", but my wife just didn't like the character & I wasn't going to force her to sit thru it.  We tried Jamestown last night & were both "meh".  I'll check out Strike.

24 minutes ago, djhutch said:

Yes we are all caught up on All Things Great & Small - We both loved the Bosch novels, but weren't all that enamored with the series.  I don't mind flawed "heroes", but my wife just didn't like the character & I wasn't going to force her to sit thru it.  We tried Jamestown last night & were both "meh".  I'll check out Strike.

Corman is another "flawed" detective. The novels are very good

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I finally finished season two of White Lotus.  The hotel staff were not nearly as interesting as they were in season one, but I enjoyed the guests a lot more this season. Aubrey Plaza is just great, as usual. I think I enjoyed that storyline the most. 

yeah I think I liked season 2 better as well.  

I really hated the character Aubrey was married to. More so than the douchebag from season 1.  I liked how they kept some things for to you speculate on your own.  Did she really fool around or just want to make him think she did, with that dude's consent?  Make him jealous. 

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

yeah I think I liked season 2 better as well.  

I really hated the character Aubrey was married to. More so than the douchebag from season 1.  I liked how they kept some things for to you speculate on your own.  Did she really fool around or just want to make him think she did, with that dude's consent?  Make him jealous. 

So many open threads with that. As you said, it isn't completely clear what she did or didn't do. Also, you assume Ethan messes around with the friend's wife in retaliation, but again you don't know for sure. I agree that Ethan's character is not very sympathetic, but I thought the idea of him not being able to shake the images of what he thought his wife did was well done.

I was a little disappointed in how predictable the storyline with the hookers was. Since Lucia had told Mia that she was going to scam Albie out of a bunch of money, I was hoping for a curveball somewhere in there. It turned out though that's exactly what she did.

Tanya's (and Portia's) storyline was probably more convoluted than it needed to be, but it was still engaging. I mean, if the idea was to kill Tanya for Greg, it seems like there was ample opportunity to do that without having to entertain her for three days (or whatever it was) with parties, operas, etc. You could tell there was something off with that group from the start, and it just got more and more foreboding as it went on, which I thought was great even if it was overly elaborate.