TV Series

On 3/15/2023 at 12:27 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Looking forward to Bob Odenkirk's new series  Lucky Hank.    Debuts on Sunday.       I trust Bob completely.   I swear I won't expect it to live up to Better Call Saul or Breaking Bad and I swear I won't be disappointed if the first couple eps are slow. 

Big fan too. Have you seen his movie Nobody? Fantastic.

I just binge watched Netflix’s Queen’s Gambit.

I loved loved loved it. The story. The acting. The clothes!! Oooh, the clothes… and, The music!! 🎶🎶🎶
Also finished Ozark-great. Last Kingdom- LOVED that, and Valhalla also.  Caught up on”You”….. I like it/don’t love it, but still wanted to watch it.

My sister has told me that, for a laugh, I need to check out Animal Control.

oh, and I watched the new Luther movie…& while I thought the series was quite good, I thought the movie was not. Disappointed.

Any other recommendations?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, smr-nj said:

I loved loved loved it. The story. The acting. The clothes!! Oooh, the clothes… and, The music!! 🎶🎶🎶
Also finished Ozark-great. Last Kingdom- LOVED that, and Valhalla also.  Caught up on”You”….. I like it/don’t love it, but still wanted to watch it.

oh, and I watched the new Luther movie…& while I thought the series was quite good, I thought the movie was not. Disappointed.

Some shows that range from pretty good to really really good, and that have good period-type costuming and music in it, would include Peaky Blinders, The Crown, Call the Midwife, Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Mad Men, 11.22.63, Mrs America, and Godless.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Some shows that range from pretty good to really really good, and that have good period-type costuming and music in it, would include Peaky Blinders, The Crown, Call the Midwife, Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Mad Men, 11.22.63, Mrs America, and Godless.

What did you think about 11.22.63?  I loved the book so much I have read it 3 times.  Obviously as is the case with these things the series wasn't as good but it was fine as is.  In fact I might read the book again.  Anyone else read books more than once?

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

What did you think about 11.22.63?  I loved the book so much I have read it 3 times.  Obviously as is the case with these things the series wasn't as good but it was fine as is.  In fact I might read the book again.  Anyone else read books more than once?

I never did read the book, but I saw the series right away because I love the concept of going back into history as your present self, or in your present state of mind. As a young adult, I once had a dream that I woke up in my 11-year-old body on the first day of sixth grade and went to school knowing what I knew as an adult then. I've become, if not exactly obsessed, then at least very intrigued with that idea ever since. I replay that dream in my head a lot. I've even noodled the idea of writing a book or screenplay based on that concept. I've never even written a treatment for it, so I'm thinking that will go nowhere.

Anyway, 11.22.63 is a similar type of thing and I was super interested in it for that reason. There are things I would definitely change in the story, specifically in the way James Franco interacts with people and things during the period. I didn't love the cautionary ending, but I suppose that was the point of it, and of the book as well. But for the most part, I liked the journey a lot.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

What did you think about 11.22.63?  

This intrigues me. I think you've dove deeper into the JFK stuff than I have but I'm pretty sure that we have the same conclusion that it was a lone nut. Without giving too much away, would Oliver Stone be disappointed in this in any way? Please say yes.

36 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

This intrigues me. I think you've dove deeper into the JFK stuff than I have but I'm pretty sure that we have the same conclusion that it was a lone nut. Without giving too much away, would Oliver Stone be disappointed in this in any way? Please say yes.

absolutely in fact King addresses that explicitly both in the book's story, in a round about way, and in an essay.  Talks about the butterfly effect and so many things had to go right with regard to a conspiracy and as you can see with his examples something as simple as a traffic light can change history.  

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I never did read the book, but I saw the series right away because I love the concept of going back into history as your present self, or in your present state of mind. As a young adult, I once had a dream that I woke up in my 11-year-old body on the first day of sixth grade and went to school knowing what I knew as an adult then. I've become, if not exactly obsessed, then at least very intrigued with that idea ever since. I replay that dream in my head a lot. I've even noodled the idea of writing a book or screenplay based on that concept. I've never even written a treatment for it, so I'm thinking that will go nowhere.

Anyway, 11.22.63 is a similar type of thing and I was super interested in it for that reason. There are things I would definitely change in the story, specifically in the way James Franco interacts with people and things during the period. I didn't love the cautionary ending, but I suppose that was the point of it, and of the book as well. But for the most part, I liked the journey a lot.

I think you'd like the book. Now that you are retired I say give it a try.  It's long.   He goes back a number of years earlier than in the series so there's a lot of things to work out, and he made more than one trip.  If you like time travel it's a no brainer.  It was the first King book I ever read.

On 3/17/2023 at 3:18 PM, oblong said:

I think you'd like the book. Now that you are retired I say give it a try.  It's long.   He goes back a number of years earlier than in the series so there's a lot of things to work out, and he made more than one trip.  If you like time travel it's a no brainer.  It was the first King book I ever read.

Not that far back, only from 1960 in the series to 1958 in the book.     The series was good but they took out some details and added the extra major character for the TV series.       They missed out on some of the details in the series about when he went back at first like how fascinated he was at how good food tasted in 1958.   Plus he makes a few practice runs in the book that I thought set the story up better.  

If you like James Franco you should watch the series because I am not so sure you're going to see James Franco in anything for a very long time, if at all.  

On 3/16/2023 at 10:53 PM, smr-nj said:

Animal Control has been good and enjoyable.  Former Washington Huskies football TE, Joel McHale clearly wanted to move back to Seattle area to do a show.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Barry was good.

I started watching The Offer on Paramout+.  It's about the making of The Godfather.  I've read pretty much everything about how that got made, so to speak, and it lines up with the history/legends.  Good cast.  The guy that plays Robert Evans is spot on.  It's a fun watch.