TV Series

Last time this board (well, the last one) universally loved a show that I ignored was Breaking Bad and I regretted it immensely when I had to catch up on the entire series plus four seasons of Better Call Saul. Think I'll learn my lesson and try The Bear tomorrow.

I don't have the time nor the attention span to binge anything though so it'll probably take me a couple weeks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Last time this board (well, the last one) universally loved a show that I ignored was Breaking Bad and I regretted it immensely when I had to catch up on the entire series plus four seasons of Better Call Saul. Think I'll learn my lesson and try The Bear tomorrow.

I don't have the time nor the attention span to binge anything though so it'll probably take me a couple weeks.

Just started last night.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I like to use my wife as an indicator.  She really likes it.  If she likes something then I think others will too.  Doesn't work in reverse though.   My opinion is that it's kind of a throwback show.  It's not trying too hard.  Great music.  I could see this being on TV in the 70's.  There's a grittiness and it's also tender and funny.  Not joke funny but observant funny.  Like a Hill Street Blues.  Even after 3 episodes I am into the characters already.  I want to see what happens to them.   

And the music is great.  Don't recall reading about that from others but every episode so far has had some really good songs in there.

23 hours ago, oblong said:

I like to use my wife as an indicator.  She really likes it.  If she likes something then I think others will too.  Doesn't work in reverse though.   My opinion is that it's kind of a throwback show.  It's not trying too hard.  Great music.  I could see this being on TV in the 70's.  There's a grittiness and it's also tender and funny.  Not joke funny but observant funny.  Like a Hill Street Blues.  Even after 3 episodes I am into the characters already.  I want to see what happens to them.   

And the music is great.  Don't recall reading about that from others but every episode so far has had some really good songs in there.

The Bear's soundtrack is very good.  

I had watched the first episode of Black Mirror and after seeing the pig thing, I was out. The mention here recently (well recently for me as I've been out of the loop for almost a month) got me intrigued.

I've really liked the series. Season four kind of dragged but the finale (the museum) was good. Just started season five and have enjoyed it immensely.

5 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Are the Black Mirror seasons “stand alone”?In other words, can I just decide to watch, say, season 6, would I have needed to see the other seasons & know the characters, or is it not necessary?

Every episode is different. There is an occasional reference to a previous episode but they are easter eggs more than anything. The one common thread is technology.

22 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Every episode is different. There is an occasional reference to a previous episode but they are easter eggs more than anything. The one common thread is technology.

Yep.  Just easter eggs to portray it as it's own "universe" so to speak, like Quentin Tarantino using Red Apple Cigarettes or the same last names. 

The theme as I see it is how technology traps and exposes us.  Which the title implies and I just now "got it".

Yeah the pig episode was rough but I quickly ignored that piece of it and instead focused on the hilarity of how the staff was so casual about it, treating it like any other political scandal and how to address it.

We skipped to the newest season just to stay consistent with other friends so we can talk about it.  But we are on hold now by catching up on The Bear.  

The dating episode really got me cheesed off (well, at least as cheesed off as a tv show could make me!) because those two were obviously perfect for each other. I would imagine that that was the intention of the writer(s). Well, it worked.

The social status one is modern social media on steroids and it was really well done. I also enjoyed the Child Tracker episode because the antagonist kept leading her down so many wrong paths and the disdain I felt for him was calculable. Jodie Foster directed that episode. 

Burned thru episodes 6 and 7 of the bear season 2 tonight. I can’t say enough about how good this is. I’m not sure I have come across a movie or TV show that’s made me care about the characters more than this does.  I want to know what happens to these people.  

and the music. Damn.