2024 NFL Draft

14 hours ago, NYLion said:

If they trade up, I bet it's for Arnold if they trade up into the mid teens (listen to that kid speak, if he doesn't embody Brad/Dan culture I don't know who does) or DeJean if they're trading 5-6 spots up.

Told you guys although I thought an Arnold trade up would be up to the mid teens and would cost the 2nd at minimum. What transpired was absolute genius work by Holmes. I was at this draft party screaming out for them to trade up for Arnold and lo and behold it happened, I'm stoked to say the least. This guy screams Detroit Lion.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So where does this leave us for the second round? Interior OL? WR?

BPA Baby

I would like to get an O-Lineman though. I'm bummed that Legette got taken but it was never realistic for him drop to 61. Still, I'm on such a high with the Arnold pick that everything else is gravy from here on out.

23 minutes ago, KnoxP said:

Is this legit?

Oh come on, this can't be real.   

Do the Lions let them have it anyway out of sportsmansip?     

If the Lions moved up 5 spots to get their guy and lose nothing then I am ready to say that the Bobby Layne curse is over

But I haven't seen this reported anywhere except BOMBER SPORTS NETWORK DOT COM 

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It's a joke based off of Taylor Decker "failing" to report lol. I fell for it last night myself for about 10 seconds when I went looking on Twitter and then the joke hit me.

I'm slower than you apparently!  HA.   Good one.

Edited by KnoxP

I think personal big board of players I'd love to get in the second round falls something like this.

• Zach Fraizer/G
  • Jackson Powers-Johnson/C-G
  • Keon Coleman/WR
  • AD Mitchell/WR
  • Cooper Dejean/DB
  • Johnny Newton/DT
  • Ja'Lynn Polk/WR
  • Marshawn Kneeland/DE
  • Cooper Beebe/G

The big blue wave begins today.  How many Michigan players will get drafted? After JJ yesterday,  they need 15 more to tie the record of Georgia in 2022.  

Also interested to see how many get taken by the Chargers. 

I think there is a decent chance they trade down if the option presents itself. A 3rd and a 4th sounds about right, both would still be before we are scheduled to pick again in the 5th.

As far as position goes, I'm thinking IOL if we stay put, maybe IOL and WR if we add a pick.

I'm not sure it could have gone any better for the Lions yesterday. Having every defensive player drop like that? I sincerely believe that Arnold was the top defensive player on their board too. That's not to say he's as high as Witherspoon was for them last year, but I think he's an instant upgrade over Amik Robertson, and probably an upgrade over Cam Sutton too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm not sure it could have gone any better for the Lions yesterday. Having every defensive player drop like that? I sincerely believe that Arnold was the top defensive player on their board too. That's not to say he's as high as Witherspoon was for them last year, but I think he's an instant upgrade over Amik Robertson, and probably an upgrade over Cam Sutton too.

Agree.  I loved the fit with Arnold but he wasn’t really on my radar.  I figured they’d need to trade up into the early teens.  I didnt think Brad would give up the mint it would’ve taken from to move there from 29.   

I've read that some teams have been concerned that the quality of depth in the later rounds is worse this year than in previous years, because of NIL incentivizing players staying in school longer when they would be drafted in that range or undrafted. I think this is also the first year where guys that we pickup in the 6th and 7th rounds won't be guaranteed a spot on the team. They'll need to beat out the in-house talent for that gig.

If Brad agrees, I would think a deal like they pulled last year for Brodric Martin, packaging later picks to jump into the 3rd or 4th round, would make a lot of sense. Why take three fringe guys if you could take one sure-fire backup who could turn into more? They also currently have nine picks next year to play with (two 4ths and two 7ths), and that's before even considering possible comp picks for Jonah Jackson or CJGJ.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I've read that some teams have been concerned that the quality of depth in the later rounds is worse this year than in previous years, because of NIL incentivizing players staying in school longer when they would be drafted in that range or undrafted. I think this is also the first year where guys that we pickup in the 6th and 7th rounds won't be guaranteed a spot on the team. They'll need to beat out the in-house talent for that gig.

If Brad agrees, I would think a deal like they pulled last year for Brodric Martin, packaging later picks to jump into the 3rd or 4th round, would make a lot of sense. Why take three fringe guys if you could take one sure-fire backup who could turn into more? They also currently have nine picks next year to play with (two 4ths and two 7ths), and that's before even considering possible comp picks for Jonah Jackson or CJGJ.

wait 6th and 7th rounders were guarenteed spots before? I think most were luckly to make the practice squad if not cut. 

And the NIL issue you propose would be nuterlized after a year. And its been in place for 3. There was a massive drop when it went in place, but has been fairly steady in the two years since. So the NIL drop should be fixed by now. 

If its a bad back end its just cause its a bad draft. 

Edited by KL2