2024 NFL Draft

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Questioning? I hope he uses the other four draft picks on CBs. 

Funny you should mention that...

I actually see room for ONE MORE CB.

Not even a specific name... but more of an ideal:

It would need to be an Iffy Melifonwu type: long, tall, rangy, fast...

Someone who could shift between Free Safety and CB, as needed. So it would have to be someone who has the speed and length to play CB and fight for jump balls (and win them) against taller WR's or TE's, but who also loves to hit like crazy and therefore could swing to FS. That guy would be key depth at both spots. Probably a lot of special teams work, come in occasionally against a taller receiver, or back up Davis and/or Iffy, as needed. If we can't keep Davis past this year: then maybe Iffy or "The New Guy" could be Plan B?

I prefer a CB here over a straight-up safety because (A) versatility and (B) CB's are still in the 4.5-4.6 range at this point in the draft versus the remaining safeties tend to be either smallish and 4.6-4.7+ (or worse) range or bigger and 4.7-4.8+ range (strong safety types). 

A safety in this area of the draft is not going to be able to cover as a CB (IMO); versus a CB in this range can CB or Safety (IMO). Which was my point A above.

There are several tall/rangy/hard-hitting CB's still on the board that fit this description. I don't know if Holmes/Campbell "loves" any of these guys, or are thinking along the same lines... but here are a few names to consider (all 6'2" or taller, 4.5-ish or so speed, hard-nosed and love to hit like a truck):

TJ Tampa, Cam Hart, Khyree Jackson, Decamerian Richardson...

However... I would want to obtain a higher pick for one of those guys, and STILL have at least our 5th and (1) 6th to add a Kicker (several good ones this year actually):

Because I would use the 5th on one of the remaining Centers. Ideally one who could also play guard. These guys are more project and have some growth curve to go through versus maybe a plug and play guy... But I like their size and toughness and potential versatility (in order of like best-to-least):

Mason McCormick, Tanor Bortolini, Hunter Norzad, Beaux Limmer, Sedrick Van Pran-Granger

I think one of those guys (Centers) will fall to the 5th.

But to get they guy they WANT though (assuming a Center is a high target for them, as WELL as targeting a CB/Safety if that also is any kind of priority)... a 4th would have to be obtained and I would want to use the extra picks next year (a 4th and a 7th) and later picks this year (the extra 6th and the 7th), however that needs to add up point-wise... to get that pick.

As for "X"-receiver...

Antoine Green? Has he been "coached up" to where he's an option? DPJ? Can he get back to 2022 when he caught 60 passes for 840 yards and 3 TD's? Is there still another FA available to sign? (Mentions of Tyler Boyd above...).

And there is STILL a half dozen receivers in the draft that have the size (not necessarily the speed... but SOME of them have that too) to work as an X receiver:

Troy Franklin, Brendan Rice, Javon Baker, Devontez Walker, Johnny Wilson (definitely a different look here...), Bub Means, Cornelius Johnson....

I feel like the team could wait until the 6th to see which one (or a couple) of these guys falls to them...

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Who doesn’t love a full revamp of the most suspect position on the team.    Replacing UDFA talent like Jacobs & Lucas with 1st and 2nd round players is massive.   

On paper we should be massively improved with Davis, Robertson, Arnold, Rakestraw and maybe Mosely.  If Arnold and or Rakestraw are legit from day 1 like Sauce, Woolen, Witherspoon or Christian Gonzalez pre injury then dare I say the secondary could possibly even be a strength. 

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to bringing back DJ Chark on a one-year deal as an X.

I agree with those who have said the depth at the offensive line makes me nervous. I don’t like the concept of depending on Awosika or Sorsdol in a big game.

I'm fine with Awosika or Sorsdal at guard for any game...

But if Ragnow goes down for a game or a few, or a big game... the ONLY option is to switch Glasgow over to center and put one of those guys in at guard.

Great, Plan A.

But what's Plan B?

That's why I absolutely want a center to develop... to AT LEAST have a plan B in place.

And I like those centers too...

16 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm fine with Awosika or Sorsdal at guard for any game...

But if Ragnow goes down for a game or a few, or a big game... the ONLY option is to switch Glasgow over to center and put one of those guys in at guard.

Great, Plan A.

But what's Plan B?

That's why I absolutely want a center to develop... to AT LEAST have a plan B in place.

And I like those centers too...

Ezekiel Elliot is still a free agent if the Lions need a flexible back up center. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I apologize 'cause I'm sure this has been posted before. But holy ****... 

I seriously, seriously hope this guy works out because holy cow do I want to root for him. My goodness. 

I can see him having a career in broadcasting after the NFL. He seems like a natural. 

I liked when he was interviewed right after being drafted the reporter asked him to tell Detroit what type of player they can expect to get and he said something like "They're getting a great player but an even better person." Followed that up with how he was excited to get straight to work, also liked how he had his pee wee football pic sewed into the inside of his jacket. Just came across as a great kid and somebody that will be easy to root for. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I liked when he was interviewed right after being drafted the reporter asked him to tell Detroit what type of player they can expect to get and he said something like "They're getting a great player but an even better person." Followed that up with how he was excited to get straight to work, also liked how he had his pee wee football pic sewed into the inside of his jacket. Just came across as a great kid and somebody that will be easy to root for. 

Kid *adopted* his high school janitor for crying out loud,  considers him family.        Don't see that too often.  

I heard Arnold get interviewed on SiriusXM “Moving the Chains” before the draft. Pat Kirwan tests these kids to see how far he can take them with schematic questions. Sometimes it is not far. But he pressed Arnold a long way and raved about his football knowledge. That’s when I started to hope that maybe it might happen.