2024 NFL Draft

To me in this day and age where we have other technology things like 40 times should at best be used as a confirmation to what you see on tape or in other avenues.  

For instance you just don't know if that guy wasn't a 100% when he ran, had a bad day or something else that contributed to a sub par time.

Likewise if a guy runs a time faster than he appeared on film it could just be a one off thing. Guys know how important their combine times are so they hire the best trainers, coaches, dieticians etc. leading up to it to maximize their times. I've seen videos where coaches have shown guys the best running technique specifically for the 40.  After the combine they may or may not go back to what their "regular" speed is. 

Posted (edited)

"Trust in Holmes"...

But, just asking:

Any disappointments with anyone from this draft?

I have a couple of odd ones... But first... I am NOT bothered by giving up a 3rd next year for Manu... not if he turns into a "Blots out the sun" type of LT. I like all the guys they drafted, bar none. None of the costs to trade up and get the guys they wanted bother me... it's the cost of "getting their guys" and, so far, the guys that Holmes is going up and getting are fantastic...

I'm not even bothered by the lack of an "X" receiver drafted because there are always ways to find a WR, even if he's a 1-year band aid guy, if a GM knows where to look. 

My two disappointments (involving "I wish we had two more 6th rounders in order to select..."):

1) Yeah, I know Badgley kicked that 54-yarder last year. He just doesn't do it for me. And (3) Kickers who have huge accuracy, all the way out to 50+ yarders were selected between 203 and 212: Josh Karty, Cam Little, and Will Reichard. I wanted one of those 3. Any one would have done it for me...

2) The last 6'5" athletic Center who could also play Guard and has a mean streak and can block to the 2nd level... (and also threw up 39 reps on the 225-bench press), etc. was selected at 217 was Beaux Limmer. I wanted this dude.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Edited by 1984Echoes

31 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Gabriel and Grayson Murphy (EDGE), Drake Nugent (C), Cornelius Johnson (WR), Marcus Rosemy (WR), and Jalen Coker (WR) would be my UDFA targets as of now.

I'll go Michigan guys at WR - Cornelius Johnson, and Edge - Jaylen Harrell and Braiden McGregor, but I'll take the LSU Center - Charles Turner. 

Oops, too late, the Titans just nabbed Jaylen Harrell.

Yes, I have a few different disappointments, though not major ones, from this offseason as a whole. First is from free agency and not the draft itself. I still would like someone to ask Brad Holmes, Dan Campbell, and/or Aaron Glenn why they targeted Carlton Davis and traded a draft pick to acquire him versus going after Kendall Fuller. From scouting reports and stats I've read, and the poor man's eye test of watching football, Fuller is the better of the two players and is better in man coverage. As well, Fuller isn't any more expensive than Davis was. In-fact, when you account for the value of draft capital, he's actually a better value. I would have rather had Fuller + 3rd round pick than Davis.

Regarding the draft, my disappointments, though minor, were around not addressing the interior of the offensive line by picking a future starter, not drafting any WR at all, and not drafting a kicker. They have two interior guards over 30 years old. One of whom is 34 and on a one year deal in Zeitler. The other is 31. They also have a center, who while not old, has been playing banged up and bruised this past season. I really would have liked to have come out of this draft with a Zach Frazier, Cooper Bebe, Jackson Powers-Johnson, Zak Zinter type of IOL. Someone who can sit behind Zeitler or Ragnow for a year and then take over for one of them next year. I guess I am more surprised than mad that they didn't take an IOL who projects to be a future starter.

I would have loved to have seen them take a big-bodied, X WR in this draft. Even if that guy projects to be a late round project, I would have liked to have gotten a deep threat, contested catch type of player. I still feel X receiver is a need for this offense, though not a glaring one if Jamo steps up. A couple of guys I would have considered in the 3rd or 4th rounds would have been Troy Franklin and Jalen McMillen.

Last is the lack of taking a kicker in the 7th round. Some competition at camp for Michael Badgley would have been nice. I don't dislike Badgley and don't think he's a terrible kicker, but bringing someone else in would have been nice.

All and all, I am very happy with what Brad Holmes and co. did this offseason. Even the disagreements or disappointments I have are very minor compared to drafts and ghosts of GMs past. Once again, there were no Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Jordan Dizon, Eric Ebron, Jahlani Tavai type of terrible picks that makes me angry or walking away hating the draft. Nor were there any free agent moves or trades that left me upset or full of despair. This was a very good draft for the first two rounds and a very good offseason as a whole by Holmes and the Lions.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Detroit Lions Undrafted Free Agents

• WR – Isaiah Williams, Illinois
  • WR – Jalon Calhoun, Duke
  • C – Bryan Hudson, Louisville
  • C – Duke Clemens, UCLA
  • DE – Isaac Ukwu, Ole Miss
  • LB – DaRon Gilbert, Northern Illinois
  • LB – Steele Chambers, Ohio State