2024 NFL Draft

210. Detroit Lions (from Philadelphia Eagles, compensatory selection): Christian Mahogany, G, Boston College, Grade: A+

This is the best pick of Round 6. Detroit selects a guard many thought would be off the board by Round 3 with the No. 210 overall selection. Mahogany's outstanding power and above-average length make him a mauler in the running game. He'll need time to develop in pass protection and needs to play with more control but this is an incredible value for the Lions.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Is he good enough to become a starter though?

Just asking for thoughts and opinions....

I was reading through his NFL scouting report and it said that Mahogany has chance to be a backup with upside early in his career. He also seems like a power run blocker. So maybe in the right system he can become a starter. Here's to hoping that's the case. 

37 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I was reading through his NFL scouting report and it said that Mahogany has chance to be a backup with upside early in his career. He also seems like a power run blocker. So maybe in the right system he can become a starter. Here's to hoping that's the case. 

I was talking about Sorsdal with that quote.

Mahogany is projected to be a starter.

I'm less certain about Sorsdal.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I guess we're rolling with Badgley unless we sign a UDFA or bring in a camp body. 

The problem in the NFC Championship game was Dan didn't even attempt what could have been winning kicks. He could have made up to 45 yard kicks. Campbell really gambles on those 4th downs, all season long. High success rate, too. Hopefully, we'll keep winning without clutch kicks.

21 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The problem in the NFC Championship game was Dan didn't even attempt what could have been winning kicks. He could have made up to 45 yard kicks. Campbell really gambles on those 4th downs, all season long. High success rate, too. Hopefully, we'll keep winning without clutch kicks.

I think there is an implicit assumption that if we had Moody or Bates or (insert a power-legged reliable kicker) that Campbell wouldn't have gone for it in those situations, and I'm not sure that's necessarily true. We attribute some degree of Campbell's aggressiveness to the fact that our kicker is in the bottom third of the league, but we don't know that he wouldn't be just as aggressive with the best kicker in the league.

I think common sense is that he would go about his decision-making differently, but I would suspect that part of the calculus in Holmes' mind about deciding the resources to devote to the kicker position is in the fact that our head coach does not value field goals as much as the average NFL head coach.

3 hours ago, holygoat said:

Detroit Lions Undrafted Free Agents

• WR – Isaiah Williams, Illinois
  • WR – Jalon Calhoun, Duke
  • C – Bryan Hudson, Louisville
  • C – Duke Clemens, UCLA
  • DE – Isaac Ukwu, Ole Miss
  • LB – DaRon Gilbert, Northern Illinois
  • LB – Steele Chambers, Ohio State

Also: 

S - Holden Magroine - Northern Colorado

DT - Wayne Kerr - Minnesota 

Edited by Hongbit

5 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I love the Mekhi Wingo pick. He was productive as all hell from the interior in the SEC, was one of the most athletic DTs in the draft, and was falling just because he’s a bit undersized.

Put him between Reader and Houston on obvious pass downs and watch Caleb Williams eat turf.

I was shocked that he dropped to the 6th, I'm guessing that teams were scared off by his size? He was arguably the 3rd best DT after Murphy and Newton, he really showed out to me when watching LSU.

Mahogany was great value too and at a real area of long term need. Lots of folks had 3rd/4th round grades on him.

Not a big fan of giving up the 2025 3rd to take Manu who I knew nothing about but reading up on him, there's a whole lot of talent to work with (good athleticism for his size and apparently he plays like a "bully"). The Lions are the perfect landing spot for a developmental tackle like him. Again, don't like giving up the 3rd but there's some real upside here, similar to Martin I suppose. The Lions can afford to take swings like this because they're deep at most positions in the short term so... why the heck not?

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Fuller is the new Chase Young. 

Or the new Connor Cook (that was Tater who was riding that Cook Bandwagon hard, right?)

Just messing with you Tater, I actually kind of agree with on Fuller.

Edited by NYLion

8 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think there is an implicit assumption that if we had Moody or Bates or (insert a power-legged reliable kicker) that Campbell wouldn't have gone for it in those situations, and I'm not sure that's necessarily true. We attribute some degree of Campbell's aggressiveness to the fact that our kicker is in the bottom third of the league, but we don't know that he wouldn't be just as aggressive with the best kicker in the league.

I think common sense is that he would go about his decision-making differently, but I would suspect that part of the calculus in Holmes' mind about deciding the resources to devote to the kicker position is in the fact that our head coach does not value field goals as much as the average NFL head coach.

And his aggressiveness, all season long, makes Campbell a fan favorite. I read somewhere that more teams should play the percentages and go for it on 4th downs. I love him doing it!

Screenshot_20231230_211349_X.thumb.jpg.96277fddd17e2ec34ad3c042538e6f56.jpg

9 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Holmes watched the tape and loved the physical traits at 6-foot-7, 351 pounds but with athletic traits that would have put him in the 90 percentile among tackles at the Combine.”

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/key-questions-how-does-holmes-feel-about-lions-depth-at-cb-following-nfl-draft

I've seen pics of this guy now. 350 pounds but probably 12% body fat. Never seen anything like it. The closest comp to his body type is the giant statues on Easter Island.

Brad is playing 4D chess here. Not only will the guy take over the left tackle position, he'll also take over left guard at the same time. 

• Haha 1

How many offensive lineman are they going to keep on the roster? You now have invested drat picks in Sorsdal, Manu, and Mahogany. They signed Skipper so that brings the total to 9 and Awosika makes 10. I'm guessing Awosika is cut. Manu is probably inactive most of the season. They really seem to be building nice depth on the offensive line. 

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

How many offensive lineman are they going to keep on the roster? You now have invested drat picks in Sorsdal, Manu, and Mahogany. They signed Skipper so that brings the total to 9 and Awosika makes 10. I'm guessing Awosika is cut. Manu is probably inactive most of the season. They really seem to be building nice depth on the offensive line. 

Good problem to have; one injury coud clear it all up; carrying Manu all season with the real possibility he never dresses once could be worth it long term, but it is a short term cost

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think this is right, though I don't think Sorsdal's spot is guaranteed over Awosika's. Neither of them were very good last year when they had to step in, and they finished with almost identical snap counts (252 for Awosika to 253 for Sorsdal), but Awosika seemed to be the preferred option late in the season and in the playoffs when Jackson went down. In fact, Sorsdal didn't see a single offensive snap during the playoff run. They both have the flexibility to play tackle or guard, which is good, but ultimately we can only keep three or maybe four backups on the active roster. The other will almost certainly get a practice squad invite if they clear waivers. It's worth mentioning that they don't usually use Skipper as a LT or RT, but rather as a jumbo TE. He would only fill in for Decker or Sewell in the case of a real all-hands-on-deck emergency. This could be the transitionary role Manu takes over this year or next as he develops.

I would think we would go with one of Awosika or Sorsdal as a backup lineman available to plug anywhere on the line, Skipper in the jumbo TE / emergency tackle role, Mahogany as a backup guard, and Manu as a 3rd string tackle who is inactive most weeks this year, unless forced in due to injury. The tough part is that our first alternative at center is probably going to be Glasgow, which means we are shifting two spots on the line with one (probably most likely) injury.

34 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Manu is safe based on his draft status.  I know they like Mahogany but he’s a 6th round pick and on good teams these guys have to beat someone to make the roster.  He’s going to have the advantage as they want to keep him but he’s going to have to play close to the level of Awosika for a spot on the roster (barring other injuries).    

Edited by Hongbit