2024 NFL Draft

2 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

This is the pick of a guy who DNGAF. He is very secure in his status with the front office, he is very secure in his relationship with the coaching staff, and he is very secure in the roster he has constructed. All of these allow him to take a player at a position they don’t “need” but who fits their player profile perfectly. 

Totally agree. Now, that's not to say he's right. That's not to say that this guy will end up being a great player. Holmes can certainly be wrong. But this is definitely his style and his thinking.

I disagree that it wasn't a position of need. It was a position of need when they had Sutton and Davis. They lose Sutton and it became a bigger position of need. The Lions also have no depth at safety after Joseph and Melifonwu. Now they can move Branch to safety. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I disagree that it wasn't a position of need. It was a position of need when they had Sutton and Davis. They lose Sutton and it became a bigger position of need. The Lions also have no depth at safety after Joseph and Melifonwu. Now they can move Branch to safety. 

That's why I put need in "". The point was that it would be easy for the media or fans to complain that the team doesn't "need" (in "") a CB because they just drafted one, traded for another, and re-signed Moseley. But Brad is so secure that he doesn't give that stuff a second thought. And yes, I agree that when you are rolling out five or six DBs, and you factor in injuries, there is almost always a need here. 

At first I was like, "Another CB?" but it makes a lot of sense when you consider that Davis only has 1 year left plus Rakestraw was likely BPA at 61 and Holmes just takes guys who are good football players regardless of need. I think this signals that Davis is a 1 year rental, would be hard for the Lions to afford him anyway. Not a big fan of giving up a 3rd for a rental but, in a pass happy league, their secondary is loaded now and has a very bright future so hard to complain about that.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Yes.  Won’t be shocked if we go and sign a WR in free agency.  Isn’t Tyler Boyd still unsigned?

It's their only real need left. It's St. Brown and a lot of question marks. Jamo could be good but he's proven very little, DPJ was non-existent in his stint here but does have a history of production, Raymond injured. They could really use another guy.

4 minutes ago, NYLion said:

At first I was like, "Another CB?" but it makes a lot of sense when you consider that Davis only has 1 year left plus Rakestraw was likely BPA at 61 and Holmes just takes guys who are good football players regardless of need. I think this signals that Davis is a 1 year rental, would be hard for the Lions to afford him anyway. Not a big fan of giving up a 3rd for a rental but, in a pass happy league, their secondary is loaded now and has a very bright future so hard to complain about that.

See, this is where I have a little consternation with what Holmes did. I would have saved the pick and signed Kendall Fuller. Miami only had to give him a 2 deal worth $16.5 million and I would have done that deal for a better corner and not had needed to surrender that pick. I'm not upset at all and am I'm very happy with what Holmes has done in this draft and off season overall. I would have done this differently though. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

See, this is where I have a little consternation with what Holmes did. I would have saved the pick and signed Kendall Fuller. Miami only had to give him a 2 deal worth $16.5 million and I would have done that deal for a better corner and not had needed to surrender that pick. I'm not upset at all and am I'm very happy with what Holmes has done in this draft and off season overall. I would have done this differently though. 

I think Davis is a bit better than Fuller but I too would have rather just signed Fuller instead of giving up the 3rd but maybe Fuller didn't want to sign with the Lions or maybe Holmes was just a much bigger fan of Davis. I think it's just a "Trust Brad" situation, he's earned that. The team is looking real strong going into next season either way, I'd feel even better if they added a receiver.