Bears at Lions. a turkey matchup for turkey day

buddha

Those last 8 minutes are some of the worst coaching I've ever seen. I said I wasn't going to roast Campbell, but damn, that was horrifically bad clock management and really sad to see they couldn't get into the right defensive formations more than once. That's on Campbell and Glenn for sure.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Campbell definitely deserves some criticism and there is definitely no excusing that blunder late in the game but people like me that defend him aren't so much saying he is great but are just trying to point out that everything bad that happens on the field isn't the coaches fault like some of you seem to think.

Its like you put zero responsibility on an NFL player when they hold instead you blame it on the freaking coaches. Seriously? These are professional athletes, they know the rules and what is and isn't allowed, sometimes you get away with it other times you don't. Team has a false start, lets blame it on Campbell, like he is the one out there jumping the snap. Do you expect him to hold the players hand during the game or seomthing?

A player blows a tackle, yep that's on Campbell again according to you guys. Let's not blame the millionaire athlete that has been playing football his entire life for not tackling correctly, instead it's the coaches fault. This team has far and away the least amount of talent in football, it isn't even close, particularly when you factor in the QB yet instead of blaming those guys you put all the onus on the coaching. If the coaches mean so much maybe teams should just stop signing expensive players or drafting high instead just trade down and collect middle round picks that don't cost much and coach them up to be good since that is what you all think the coach is supposed to do anyway. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Campbell seems to have the strength to get a horrible team into a position to win most of the time, but unfortunately he has poor in game managing skills that costs them late in the game.  Whether the results are on him is a question, but he is going to have to win games more often than not for a few seasons before he is given the benefit of the doubt.

4 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Campbell seems to have the strength to get a horrible team into a position to win most of the time, but unfortunately he has poor in game managing skills that costs them late in the game.  Whether the results are on him is a question, but he is going to have to win games more often than not for a few seasons before he is given the benefit of the doubt.

This is basically where I come down. 

Which apparently makes one a Dan Campbell apologist lol

• Haha 1

Some people in here are getting too emotionally invested in this team. If the four game deciding field goals had gone their way and they were 4-7, would you feel better?

Less than 10 players on this 53-man are likely to be on this team in three years. If Campbell sucks when it matters, he will not remain here. For now though, put a cardboard cutout of Hue Jackson out there to coach this team for all I care.

Relax.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Some people in here are getting too emotionally invested in this team. If the four game deciding field goals had gone their way and they were 4-7, would you feel better?

Less than 10 players on this 53-man are likely to be on this team in three years. If Campbell sucks when it matters, he will not remain here. For now though, put a cardboard cutout of Hue Jackson out there to coach this team for all I care.

Relax.

No, because Campbell is making scary decisions every game.  Let’s say the FO turns this thing around do we really want a liability on the sideline?  Evaluate everyone, regardless of the situation.  The free pass was for wins and losses, not for being a moron.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Relax.

What matters most to me is player development. We have a young core of guys that is likely to be here for the next 3-4-5+ seasons and I want to see them getting better game by game. Not to be overly critical of Campbell just yet, but if he and his staff are putting them in bad spots in games or running poor practices that hinder player development, that's a problem. That means the 2-3-4 years they did spend with Campbell as their coach will have been wasted.

• Like 1

Lets face it, Campbell is going to be the HC for two more years no matter what happens and no matter how stupid his decisions are.  If he is a bad HC, this will basically hamstring them in terms of replacing him and having to go through another HC transition with all of the usual roster changes and other typical transition fallout and excuses.

We have to hope that he will learn to overcome his mistakes, or there will be serious consequences for on field performance for a number of years, even after hes gone.

Edited by sabretooth

15 minutes ago, sagnam said:

No, because Campbell is making scary decisions every game.  Let’s say the FO turns this thing around do we really want a liability on the sideline?  Evaluate everyone, regardless of the situation.  The free pass was for wins and losses, not for being a moron.

11 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What matters most to me is player development. We have a young core of guys that is likely to be here for the next 3-4-5+ seasons and I want to see them getting better game by game. Not to be overly critical of Campbell just yet, but if he and his staff are putting them in bad spots in games or running poor practices that hinder player development, that's a problem. That means the 2-3-4 years they did spend with Campbell as their coach will have been wasted.

Player development is great, but only to the degree that it helps us two or three years from now. Sewell has been lights out. Does Campbell get any credit for that? Ragnow has been injured. Hockenson hasn’t looked great, but he’s also quite literally the only downfield receiving threat. Of course we don’t want a liability on the sideline if Holmes turns it around, and as I said - I don’t expect him to still be there if he is bad in 2022 or 2023.

I’m not opposed to remembering these moments and using them against him if the mistakes continue in 2022 and/or 2023. But I’m not ready to burn him at the stake over stupid mistakes bad players made in a game we were going to lose anyway.

One thing I'd like to see from Campbell (although I doubt I will see) is a recognition that the team would be better off if Lynn is calling plays. Just put ego aside, admit that it isn't working, move on and try to fix the other aspects of being a head coach in this league.

It's not an easy job. And my honest read is that he's in over his head at the moment with what is currently on his plate.

Edited by mtutiger