Cardinals at Lions

buddha

It's hard not to already be getting excited about what 2023 and beyond may bring. They're doing this rebuild the right way, and we just witnessed the fruits of player development the likes of which Detroit hasn't seen in at least my lifetime. A lot of Lions 2nd and 3rd-string players just plain outplayed one of the best teams in the NFL.

16 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Hard not to like Campbell the man. Last few weeks he has shown improvement as a coach.  Players love him. If he can make this team a winner, he will own the city. Need more players.  

I agree with this.   Ive always been a fan of the guy.  He’s got an infectious personality that people gravitate towards.  My questions were about his football acumen as a head coach.  He’s done some really nice things the past few weeks both in game plan and even more surprising as an offensive play caller.   He’s definitely learning and improving and has me rethinking my thoughts about what he could become as a head coach.  

6 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

35 has a fumbling problem.  That’s helpful in this scenario. 

Yeah, that's how many now?  I'm not sure I want to trust this guy moving forward.  With all the other RBs we've got who are doing well (when not injured of course) I don't think we should carry a guy who can't carry the ball safely.

LOL. Only the Same Old Lions would, as worst team in the NFL, beat the best team in the NFL, and blow their #1 draft pick.

Hopefully, the Jags will take Thibodeaux and leave us Hutchinson ... but WAIT ... the Jets and Texans are only a game behind us. We could end up drafting 5th and miss out on ALL the picks we really need.

23 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Yeah, that's how many now?  I'm not sure I want to trust this guy moving forward.  With all the other RBs we've got who are doing well (when not injured of course) I don't think we should carry a guy who can't carry the ball safely.

Lions backfield was funny tonight.  Cabinda played LB at penn state, all four years. He was a good college LB. he caught a TD catch today as a full back.  Igwebuike played safety at northwestern.  Reynolds was watching Netflix.  Run game showed out.

Since the bye week lions are 2-2-1 and the play calling has gotten better. Today the lions bullied the cards, both sides of the ball.  Glenn with a masterful game call. Campbell found some shots and then trusted the OL to move people, which they did.  Reynolds might be a gem.  Dude finds space. 

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

More passion in those 90 seconds than in three years of Matty P

"Hey you morans dont you know we have nothing to play for except draft position? We could of lost this game and got a better player than some of y'all are and then we could of cut a couple of you but you had to ruin our draft position by going out and playing hard and as a team. What is wrong with you you selfish ********? You're all gonna run the hill tomorrow."

10 hours ago, NYLion said:

Loved this game. I've been seeing it all season, a team that is competing their tails off every week and just has the look of a team/culture that is headed in the right direction. I don't know where it goes from here but I firmly believe that Holmes and Campbell are steering this ship in the right direction.

As far as the draft spot is concerned, I don't really care tbh. Hutch, Thibs, Hamilton. All these guys are game changers and none really stand out above the other. It's quite possible that Hutch drops to the Lions even if they end up at 2 or 3 so I'm not too concerned, I just want to see this team build confidence headed into the offseason and nothing builds confidence more than wins.

Now if the Pistons win today, the world might implode.

This was the first time the Lions and Pistons won on the same day since November of  2017. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Lions need to make sure to bring back Charles Harris next year. 

I'd much rather he go to the highest bidder and net us a solid comp pick. He's not going to be a top 3 rush end for the Lions, who will probably draft one; along with the Okwara brothers. Pick up another bum on a one year deal, and build them up.

Goff has looked better since coming back from his injury which kinda makes me think he may have been injured most of the season and just didn't tell anybody which could explain the lousy play and extreme reluctance to throw anything over 10-15yds.  

He may not be the long term answer but if he continues to play like he has the last few weeks I think he could be good enough to start the next year or possibly 2.

10 hours ago, Fox Wismic said:

LOL. Only the Same Old Lions would, as worst team in the NFL, beat the best team in the NFL, and blow their #1 draft pick.

Hopefully, the Jags will take Thibodeaux and leave us Hutchinson ... but WAIT ... the Jets and Texans are only a game behind us. We could end up drafting 5th and miss out on ALL the picks we really need.

George Karlaftis deserves to be among the top edge rushers in this draft imo. Number three right now, but with a bullet.

A few weeks ago people were bitching about the Lions losing every game and saying it doesn't matter if they pick 1st or not cause there isn't an Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence in this draft. 

And of course like clock work when the Lions win a couple games and start to look better those people mock them for screwing up their draft position that didnt matter a month ago but now suddenly they are going to miss out on some franchise altering talent in their eyes. 

• Thanks 2

Today is a HUGE eye opener.  A startling beat down of a top-tier team.

If they can run the ball like this every week they will be in almoat every game.  The 3 down weeks running the ball this year have been the 3 blowout losses....recognizing that they had very bad Lions' D = adverse situational play calling = low run production in those games.

If they can run and pass like this they will drop 30 points a game and be a winning team even with the usually crappy defense.

If they can play O even mostly like this and have just average D they will be a playoff team.  Goff wont play like this every week, but what if his O Line was fairly healthy, his recievers like St Brown, Reynolds and Hock were catching the ball, and Goff himself was just an ordinary decent QB instead of a goof?

They have taken 3 fairly ordinary RBs and have built a league average running game despite the near-total lack of a passing game and poor defense until pretty recently, a pretty mean feat. 

The coaching staff clearly know how to run the ball as a team, something I have never seen with the Lions, except maybe the Lomas/Utley/Andlosek OL in the early 90s, but they had Barry carrying.

This looks like a job for Aidan Hutchison!  Not saying that he alone can turn the D around, but a HUGE motor guy with upper tier skills and smarts can certainly give this D some personality and certainly haul it out of the basement.

Everybody knows how much I hate tanking, and I sure like to see this team win a game, but we've only got a couple of games left, and I'd sure like to see them secure one of these top flight defenders like Hutch.   I guess we'll see if they succeed, if you could call it that.

10 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

Lions backfield was funny tonight.  Cabinda played LB at penn state, all four years. He was a good college LB. he caught a TD catch today as a full back.  Igwebuike played safety at northwestern.  Reynolds was watching Netflix.  Run game showed out.

Since the bye week lions are 2-2-1 and the play calling has gotten better. Today the lions bullied the cards, both sides of the ball.  Glenn with a masterful game call. Campbell found some shots and then trusted the OL to move people, which they did.  Reynolds might be a gem.  Dude finds space. 

Remember when Denver was like a RB paradise?  No matter who they had back there seemed to just light it up every year?  I don't want to jinx anything, but it feels like our OL right now is doing that for our RBs.  Now obviously some of this is on the RBs themselves, but I think part of the success on the ground needs to be given to the OL as well.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Remember when Denver was like a RB paradise?  No matter who they had back there seemed to just light it up every year?  I don't want to jinx anything, but it feels like our OL right now is doing that for our RBs.  Now obviously some of this is on the RBs themselves, but I think part of the success on the ground needs to be given to the OL as well.

Which is pretty incredible considering our tackles are a rookie and Decker in the worst year of his career, our guards are a 2nd-year 3rd-round pick and a tackle-transplant, and our Pro Bowl center is out for the season.

Take the kneecaps of anyone who wants to interview Hank Fraley or Aaron Glenn.

12 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Actually... the Jags will draft KT so we'll still get Hutchinson.

Only without any arguments to go along with that when we had the #1 spot...

Lawrence has been getting destroyed on the regular. I wouldn't be surprised if they took Neal and the two pass rushers were still available at 2 and 3. Dropping a couple of spots isn't the worst thing in the world and it'll be nice to see this young group get a taste of winning.

• Like 1