4/26 7:40 Tigers @ Twins

Tigeraholic1

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Tough night for Haase, both at the plate and screw up at the end. You figure last yrs pixie dust was going to fall away at some point...

Heartwarming story, occasional power, but I don't think he gets 400 PA's on a good team.  Heck, he might not even be on a good team.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I can't even understand what Haase thought he was looking at when he threw the ball, there wasn't even an out to be made at 3rd at that point.

There was literally no reason/play at 3rd base, it should have been an easy play for any MLB player that didnt go full baseball rtard...and yes, Haase went full baseball rtard; like shouls get demoted to AA from that play alone baseball rtard.

Just now, UCFKNIGHT said:

Why are Avila and Hinch allowing this junk mediocrity to continue? Make some damn changes to this current roster. There is just no sense of urgency with this team.

Bring up Kriedler and Celemens for 2nd and 3rd base...demote Candy to Toledo, Schoop can ride the pine while whichever of the Kried/Clem get's some games under their belt at 2nd.  Not sure what to do about catcher, guess it'll have to be a Barnhart/Garnaeu rotation for a bit.  This team def needa a shake up, and only a few weeks in...gj AL.

Jake Rogers was ready last year to become our long term catcher. Then he gets Tommy John.

Now we have Haase(inferior defender) pinch hitting for Barnhart late in games and have to suffer the consequences. And Haase isn’t even delivering the isolated power he showed last year(SSS).

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

Jake Rogers was ready last year to become our long term catcher. Then he gets Tommy John.

Now we have Haase(inferior defender) pinch hitting for Barnhart late in games and have to suffer the consequences. And Haase isn’t even delivering the isolated power he showed last year(SSS).

and Dingler still at Erie and not doing a whole lot with the bat.

6 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Not right away, Hinch would lose the players if a mistake like that has immediate punitive consequences.  And Barnhart and Garneau will have plenty of opportunities to stink.

Obviously, more talking about who the fanbase wants to axe.

If Haase were hitting, he's shown enough in the outfield where I'd be ok with him out there, but it comes down to the bat with him. 

Edited by mtutiger

19 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

if Hinch wants to carry Garneau, the time to play him would have been after Hasse PH for Barnhart.

Can't violate the 1st commandment in the manager's handbook. "If thee shall carry 3 catchers, ye shall not end a game but one shall still be sitting upon thy bench.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Can't violate the 1st commandment in the manager's handbook. "If thee shall carry 3 catchers, ye shall not end a game but one shall still be sitting upon thy bench.

I know, this 3rd catcher is an anvil to drag around when trying to substitute late in the game.  It's really dumb roster construction when all 3 catchers kind of suck.  Really dumb. Keep Haase, he can play some other spots in a pinch (probably better than catcher), but his role is platoon catcher, not the myth of this versatile guy.

If they are so fixated on keeping Willi on or around the team, and I don't blame them for trying to rediscover that .900 OPS bat from that short season a couple of years ago, then teach him to put on the tools and be the emergency catcher.  It's really stupid to carry 3 actual catchers.  Or do it with Harold, I don't care.  But 3 catchers who can't hit, that is failing some sort of sanity test.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

if Hinch wants to carry Garneau, the time to play him would have been after Hasse PH for Barnhart.

This is a good point but G2's point rings true. Can a manager in that situation place Hasse in for Miggy at DH and Garneau at catcher ? Is that within the rules ? That way if Garneau gets hurt Hasse can catch and we lose the DH. 

I hope they stick with Hasse. It is still very early. Tough to come in the ice bowl after warming on the bench for 8 innings. It freezes the brain. True. We saw it tonight.

So in the morning we wake up in the cellar but only two games out in the loss column with 146 games to go. We're going to  be fine. We have the depth. Baez looks like a star, Meadows a solid contributer and Torkelson  the real deal. Again just need to tighten the defense and get to warm weather. I bet they break out in LA of all places. Patience grasshoppers.

We should all be upset withA.J. Hinch and his cookie cutter approach with the Tigers bullpen. Michael Fulmer was already in the game and pitching well, and I believe managers should not name a designated closer for all 9th inning save situations. I’m beginning to realize Hinch doesn’t care about game situations and strategy. Also, Al Avila is too comfortable in his job and with the Tigers overall play.

• Sad 1

Am I reading the box score right that Fulmer threw only 5 strikes out of 13 pitches?  And, if true, there is a "thought" to keeping him in the game?

Haase's throwing error is glaring.  1 1/3 IP of only 9 strikes in 29 pitches is inexcusable.

And let's be honest, outside of two shots off of Baez' bat, are the Tigers even pitching in the bottom of the 9th?

Look, its easy to pinpoint one play, but it ain't like there isn't plenty of blame to throw around to numerous players for numerous reasons.

6 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I know, this 3rd catcher is an anvil to drag around when trying to substitute late in the game.  It's really dumb roster construction when all 3 catchers kind of suck.  Really dumb. Keep Haase, he can play some other spots in a pinch (probably better than catcher), but his role is platoon catcher, not the myth of this versatile guy.

3 Cs, extra Ps (because the pitching staff is in shambles and the BP is full of single inning only types), and a DH only.  There's not much maneuverability around the diamond, and so there aren't options to sit a struggling bat an extra day or two (which, OK, all the bats are struggling, so I guess this is a bit of a silly point).

5 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

We should all be upset withA.J. Hinch and his cookie cutter approach with the Tigers bullpen. Michael Fulmer was already in the game and pitching well, and I believe managers should not name a designated closer for all 9th inning save situations. I’m beginning to realize Hinch doesn’t care about game situations and strategy. Also, Al Avila is too comfortable in his job and with the Tigers overall play.

Fulmer was not pitching well at all... he was lucky to get out of that inning unscathed