The Idiocracy of Donald J. Trump

chasfh

55 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't think we need to give anyone a chance to act for us to reasonably conclude that they're gonna get away with it all, and the only thing they will have learned from this is what they need to do better next time, as well as what not to do, so how are we gonna stop them next time, since there won't be any precedent set by punishing them this time? And I'm being serious here, because the killers are in the House, so ... what? They're going to censure several sitting House members, expel them, indict them, and imprison them? That's basically the only way to get the message across that you simply can't fuck with our democracy like this, but do we really think that's gonna happen?

Or is the lesson to simply beat them at the ballot box and everything will work out in the end?

How is that the fault of prosecutors or grand juries, which is what I was responding to.  The idea that someone isn’t doing something rather than circumstances and evidence once again letting people get away with something.   

this whole drama is the result of Netflix. People expect movement on stories every week.  

I don’t like what many of them did either but a member of congress objecting to electoral votes during the counting is not a crime. 

18 minutes ago, oblong said:

How is that the fault of prosecutors or grand juries, which is what I was responding to.  The idea that someone isn’t doing something rather than circumstances and evidence once again letting people get away with something.   

this whole drama is the result of Netflix. People expect movement on stories every week.  

I don’t like what many of them did either but a member of congress objecting to electoral votes during the counting is not a crime. 

You're right, it's not their fault per se. It's the system's fault, or more exactly, the fault of people who could make the decision but do not because they fear the system rolling over on top of them instead.

And I agree that a member of Congress objecting to electoral votes during counting is not a crime. That's almost certainly not what the recommendation to pursue the four named congressional reps was for. Otherwise, they would have referred 147 reps to Justice, not four.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

... And I agree that a member of Congress objecting to electoral votes during counting is not a crime. That's almost certainly not what the recommendation to pursue the four named congressional reps was for. Otherwise, they would have referred 147 reps to Justice, not four.

I don't believe the 147 are criminal...

But I DO believe that the 147 are "enemies of democracy."

They objected based on a lie. And they KNEW that it was a lie (they're not stupid, they knew TFG was just playing a game...); but went ahead and chose to take action on a lie anyways. I'm not even mentioning the Jan 6th coup attempt.

They chose BULLSHIT, o/w AKA Trump's LIE, over Democracy.

In my mind, they, and the same with the Senators who objected based on a lie, Trump and all his supporters and lawyers/ advisors that were pushing the lie, are all ENEMIES (yes, all-CAPS both in this instance and in all my previous instances...), of democracy.

Just my 2 cents.

I’d be careful though because in 2017 democrats also objected but since no senators went along with the House members then they didn’t proceed to the next step.  Were those objectors enemies of democracy?

Much like Scott Harris and the Tigers I’m going to let the work of the prosecutors and Jack Smith play out before making any judgements.  

If there's a legitimate basis for objection I raise no complaints. 

If the 2020 Republicans had a legitimate basis for objection I wouldn't have my current position. But their objections were NOT legitimate, they were based on pure fabrication, on Trump and his lawyers stream of lies, they KNEW it, and they objected anyways not caring if it falsely overturned our Democracy.

They are Benedict Arnold Enemies of Democracy (and that's not the actual words I use to name them but I'm working hard to reduce the NSFW language...).

• Like 1

I agree the objections in 2020 were in bad faith. Even if the 2016 Democratic objections were also based in bad faith, that does not excuse the 2020 republicans, and the sheer scale of the bad faith is what puts democracy on the hot seat in a way the 2016 objections did not. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, romad1 said:

My two USSS coworkers when I was working with them on a certain project would tell me that Eric Trump and Don Jr. were Don Sr's least favorite people in the World.

I've had a couple of broadcast industry owners relate they felt their smartest son was their daughter. (This was back before saying such things became politically incorrect)

One owned radio stations just outside DC and in Roanoke, Va. He'd keep shipping his sons South to keep them out of his hair.