The Idiocracy of Donald J. Trump

chasfh

I've been ruminating the past several days on Dickens's Christmas Story (this year's viewing was the one with Patrick Stewart)

Some people really do need a visit from the Ghost of Christmas to Come

edited

And possibly Joe McCarthy as the apparition of Jacob Marley

Edited by CMRivdogs

21 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I thought it was sad.  He can't even come up with any new stuff.  He is now just a parody of himself.  

Even setting aside the usual self-flaggelation, which was always present when he was a first time candidate and President, he just seems incredibly whiny and angry these days. 

Sure, he's always said nasty and mean things, but he really seems like he doesn't enjoy it anymore and just seems really dour and cranky. Seems like he's losing some speed off his fastball.

21 hours ago, romad1 said:

its amazing that they don't get why others who don't follow their weird worldview would find this divisive. 

Because we’re trying to bring the world together, it’s others who are divisive. We’re not dividing people, you are. That’s the gospel of Roy Cohn.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, oblong said:

He drew non GOP voters into the fold.  Not sure enough of them go back.  

I tend to believe there are still millions of low political information voters out there who still believe  DJT to be the highly airbrushed character they think they knew from the 'Apprentice' and that no amount of political news reporting will ever persuade them otherwise. With no other GOP candidate having anything at like that kind of Hollywood head start on creating such a perfected public persona, the rest of them have to depend on who they actually are, which in most cases probably won't get them anywhere near as far as NBC's massaging of Trump for years got him. 

So I'd like believe virtually none of them just fall in line behind a nominee like DeDantis, but of course, I could be wrong -  it's still the $64,000 question.

which goes back to something I thought back in 2016, which was that whichever candidate won the presidency that year, their party was going to suffer long term. It didn't actually seem to happen with Trump, but maybe (hopefully) it's just been a delayed reaction because his cult of personality has the glue holding  that voting coalition together. If the GOP turns against him now en masse - which seems to be the plan - at least in terms of presidential politics, the GOP's underlying weakness may be become more exposed. That said, I wouldn't underestimate the Dem's ability to screw up the chance they may get.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I tend to believe there are still millions of low political information voters out there who still believe  DJT to be the highly airbrushed character they think they knew from the 'Apprentice' and that no amount of political news reporting will ever persuade them otherwise. With no other GOP candidate having anything at like that kind of Hollywood head start on creating such a perfected public persona, the rest of them have to depend on who they actually are, which in most cases probably won't get them anywhere near as far as NBC's massaging of Trump for years got him. 

So I'd like believe virtually none of them just fall in line behind a nominee like DeDantis, but of course, I could be wrong -  it's still the $64,000 question.

I can only go by what I see on social media from other people’s threads. There is a contingent of trump supporters who think the GOP, even DeSantis, are globalists and they are not supporting them.  These are the conspiracy theorists.  

16 hours ago, oblong said:

I can only go by what I see on social media from other people’s threads. There is a contingent of trump supporters who think the GOP, even DeSantis, are globalists and they are not supporting them.  These are the conspiracy theorists.  

That makes me wonder what kind of acting out is going to ensue once it’s clear Trump is off the scene for good. I don’t think it will be any sort of coordinated attacks, but there might well be a slew of internet-connected lone wolf acts.