The Idiocracy of Donald J. Trump

chasfh

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I honestly feel sorry for any children who might be living in the households of this guy and of the people cheering for him.

I don't know.  Based on the language he uses, he sounds like he could be reasonably intelligent and civil.  I think it's just a show. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Interesting. Most autocratic tyrants make a show of pretending to promise to uphold the rule of law while campaigning for office under the democracy they seek to destroy.

He doesn't seek to destroy democracy.  I don't think he gives a  shit among democracy one way or the other.   He seeks attention and revenge.  

I definitely think Trump wants to be president, because he is intoxicated by the almost limitless power it affords him. He may not have cared much about being president before 2017, maybe because he thought it would be too much actual work or something, but once he got in there and saw he didn't have to hardly do jack shit, and experienced all the power that came with it, he got hooked and never wanted to let it go.

I also think we give him too little credit when it comes to being stupid, ignorant, and clueless. He doesn't give a shit about working within a democracy, I agree, but I think he does give enough of a shit about the concept of democracy to know that he wants to destroy it, because it was democracy what got him kicked out of the presidency in the first place. Democracy is a huge impediment to him.

Becoming president again will give him more attention, money, and opportunity for revenge than even he will ever be able to eat. I don't think it's enough for him anymore to simply fund-raise off the idea. I think he will do anything to get back in.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I definitely think Trump wants to be president, because he is intoxicated by the almost limitless power it affords him. He may not have cared much about being president before 2017, maybe because he thought it would be too much actual work or something, but once he got in there and saw he didn't have to hardly do jack shit, and experienced all the power that came with it, he got hooked and never wanted to let it go.

I also think we give him too little credit when it comes to being stupid, ignorant, and clueless. He doesn't give a shit about working within a democracy, I agree, but I think he does give enough of a shit about the concept of democracy to know that he wants to destroy it, because it was democracy what got him kicked out of the presidency in the first place. Democracy is a huge impediment to him.

Becoming president again will give him more attention, money, and opportunity for revenge than even he will ever be able to eat. I don't think it's enough for him anymore to simply fund-raise off the idea. I think he will do anything to get back in.

I think he is having just as much fun now as he did then and probably making more money.  He loves doing the everybody is against me schtick.  

57 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think he is having just as much fun now as he did then and probably making more money.  He loves doing the everybody is against me schtick.  

I disagree. I don’t think it’s generating fun for him this go around.  I think his motivation is actually fear that one or more of these investigations will produce indictments.  I think he is also seeing the real possibility that he could actually lose civil case(s), criminal case(s), or both and have jail time be a distinct possibility (or even probability).   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I'm not sure it matters what his motivation is. The reality is that anyone who talks about "suspending the Constitution" is talking like an aspiring Dictator and shouldn't be anywhere near power.

No doubt he should not be anywhere near a position of influence and power.  

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I'm not sure it matters what his motivation is. The reality is that anyone who talks about "suspending the Constitution" is talking like an aspiring Dictator and shouldn't be anywhere near power.

Sure. But I don’t see anything in what he’s just said that’s different from what he’s been saying for 7 years now. 

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Has he been flat out talking about terminating the Constitution for a long time now? I’m not sure I’ve heard him be this direct about that, but I may have simply missed it while being sprayed with the fire hose.

Yeah, this was uniquely unhinged even for him.  Its normal in these circumstances for the anti-Trump types who are legal sophisticates to point out his pattern is to do this sort of thing when some ruling is coming down on him we don't know about.  There have been plenty of things that Jan6 committee has lately that should cause him to go full Mussolini.

Has he been flat out talking about terminating the Constitution for a long time now? I’m not sure I’ve heard him be this direct about that, but I may have simply missed it while being sprayed with the fire hose.

He probably feels as if he hasn't been getting enough attention lately, so he had to go to the next level.  He's not organized or brave enough to go through with it.  He's got people talking about what he said which is what he wanted.  

How many classified documents are lost for good because they are in the hands of someone who's not within our jurisdiction?

That's the dangerous question in all of this; and one that no one would be surprised if Trump has actually sold our National Security documents, probably to Russia or the Saudis... for money.