6/3 7:05 Tigers @ Yankees

Tigeraholic1

20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Castro's biggest problem is balls hit right at him, perhaps the Yankees batted ball stats suggests they don't hit many to straight away CF so Hinch thought he may be safe out there? 

That or they KNOW he's so frickin' bad in LF that they think he can catch up to any mistakes in CF by just covering enough ground...?

I don't know, I'm just fishing.

And Willi doesn't have the glove for any position on the field, anywhere, so... He just can't be for much longer in MLB. He just can't. Stick him in Toledo where he belongs as soon as we can get back Greene and Meadows.

4 minutes ago, Nerb said:

Wait, you genuinely asking? Derek Hill can play CF pretty well. How about him?

That would be my preference.

But they're scoring close to 0 runs per game and Hill doesn't fix that.

So they're forcing a round peg (Willi) into a square hole (Runs Scored) despite the shitty glove because they're desperate (for runs) and have only bad options.

That's what I mean...

9 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

And what are his "good" choices?

Anybody? Anyone?

For centerfield?  Hill, Cameron, or the other Castro would have been options. 

And maybe don't move the third baseman to the outfield, allowing the batter to get a free bunt base hit. 

I can probably defend starting Rodriguez, given all the injuries.  Although I'm willing to bet Keuchel would have been slightly better. 

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

That would be my preference.

But they're scoring close to 0 runs per game and Hill doesn't fix that.

So they're forcing a round peg (Willi) into a square hole (Runs Scored) despite the shitty glove because they're desperate (for runs) and have only bad options.

That's what I mean...

The game was still 2-0 when he ****ed that up. Butterfly effect and all, that is still a thing.

You cannot field someone that bad in the outfield, especially in CF, if you expect to win. Just can't 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

That or they KNOW he's so frickin' bad in LF that they think he can catch up to any mistakes in CF by just covering enough ground...?

I don't know, I'm just fishing.

And Willi doesn't have the glove for any position on the field, anywhere, so... He just can't be for much longer in MLB. He just can't. Stick him in Toledo where he belongs as soon as we can get back Greene and Meadows.

CF is "easier" for a couple of reasons - you have fewer catches at the wall because of the depth, the ball tails less when it's hit up the middle, and you can see the pitch and swing better. The issue is that in most parks speed (to the ball, not always the same thing!) is more important than any of that so whoever is fastest plays CF. But Yankee Stadium is small so you put Willi in CF. I have no arg with him being in CF if you are going to put him in the OF. It's playing him in the OF at all. He's got a middle infielder's bat and a DH's glove. I get it, every once in a while he starts looking like a hitter, but it turns out to be fool's gold every time. He never sustains it. At this point I'm not going to believe it until he does it for 200 AB or so - preferable at AAA.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

CF is "easier" for a couple of reasons - you have fewer catches at the wall because of the depth, the ball tails less when it's hit up the middle, and you can see the pitch and swing better. The issue is that in most parks speed (to the ball, not always the same thing!) is more important than any of that so whoever is fastest plays CF. But Yankee Stadium is small so you put Willi in CF. I have no arg with him being in CF if you are going to put him in the OF. It's playing him in the OF at all. He's got a middle infielder's bat and a DH's glove. I get it, every once in a while he starts looking like a hitter, but it turns out to be fool's gold every time. He never sustains it. At this point I'm not going to believe it until he does it for 200 AB or so - preferable at AAA.

If the Tigers were hitting like they are supposed to be, you wouldn't even notice Willi's hot streak. If everyone was hitting and healthy, he probably wouldn't even be on the Big League roster. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I agree 100%

Just now, bobrob2004 said:

If the Tigers were hitting like they are supposed to be, you wouldn't even notice Willi's hot streak. If everyone was hitting and healthy, he probably wouldn't even be on the Big League roster. 

And that was my point.

Desperation to score a couple runs is causing desperate moves.

Like sticking Willi frickin'-no-glove Castro in CF.