6/3 7:05 Tigers @ Yankees

Tigeraholic1

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

this is true.

The challenge becomes when Meadows returns if / and when Greene is brought up. 

The experiment should end at that point. It at the very least should continue in Toledo. 

Edited by mtutiger

We know the offense has been horrendous all year but it has been especially horrendous on the road. This was the 21st true road game(they played a "road game" at Copa so not including that)  and in those 21 games this is the 10th time they scored 1 run or less and the 14th time they scored 2 runs or less.  So in about half the games they would've needed to pitch a shutout to win and in 2/3rd only give up 1 run to win.  

Only 5 times have they scored more than 3 runs and one of those took extra innings(only had 2 after 9) to get. Their high water mark for runs on the road is 5. Absolutely pathetic. 

Harold, Schoop, and Tork have carried this offense for the last 3 weeks -- it's been a brutal offense, but these three have done their part with very good numbers over that stretch. 

Harold looks like a more complete hitter...elevates the ball effectively, more realistic/sustainable numbers with some pop.....23% LDs instead of 30+, with a corresponding increase in FB and HR/FB, based off of higher LA and barrels.  I feel confident that he can be a pretty good hitter on a semi-regular or even everyday basis for the rest of this season.

Cabrera has been below average but OK-ish.....Daz has been below average but not as brutal as the rest of the lineup....

.....Tucker, Haase, Candy, Baez....gads.

I think Candy will come out of it soon, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Haase do decently or even get hot as well.

Tucker and Baez are probably suffering from the NL to AL thing.  Hopefully they snap back to hit normally before the ASB.

Oh, and while I'm happy to see Willi not striking out as much, he is just not cutting it.  He's only 25, but I just can't see him being a useful piece unless he takes a huge and unexpected leap forward.

12 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Go find the Effectively Wild episode from last week where the woman behind those bogus probabilities in the bottom corner was basically pantsed.

I was eyeballing the probabilities during the game.  Didn't always make much sense (ex, on base probability would increase going from a neutral count to a pitcher friendly count), seemed to be updated right before or during the Ps windup.

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

I was eyeballing the probabilities during the game.  Didn't always make much sense (ex, on base probability would increase going from a neutral count to a pitcher friendly count), seemed to be updated right before or during the Ps windup.

The commentary was awful, made Shep and Jack sound like Ernie and Paul Carey by comparison.

12 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I have Apple TV its only $5.00 a month plus the $199 device and I like it and many shows are good (Ted , Dino's etc) but yes Apple and all tech companies have their issues. Anyway I am listening to Dan on the radio and the tv on mute. As a Father of two daughters I am not proud to say that I can not tolerate female play play announcers...and on the field commentators...and being an old school old guy don't waste your time shaming me cause I don't care. 

I just want something insightful.  The Toledo Walleye have a female broadcaster for some of its TV games, and she understands the game, can pick up on the action, and communicates it well.  If she had pink hair and a nose ring, it wouldn't affect her broadcast at all.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

I just want something insightful.  The Toledo Walleye have a female broadcaster for some of its TV games, and she understands the game, can pick up on the action, and communicates it well.  If she had pink hair and a nose ring, it wouldn't affect her broadcast at all.

Exactly, has nothing to do with the gender, they just came across generally unknowledgable about the game and of both teams (particularly the Tigers)... 

Stands in contrast to the YouTube broadcast team a couple of weeks ago, both Carlos Pena and the PBP guy were pretty decent and knew what they were talking about.

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The commentary was awful, made Shep and Jack sound like Ernie and Paul Carey by comparison.

Oh, concur.  The game itself sucked.  The broadcast sucked.  Not seeing Gerrit Cole have a toddleresque melt down sucked.  We all wasted 3 hours of our lives we will never get back.

9 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Oh, and while I'm happy to see Willi not striking out as much, he is just not cutting it.  He's only 25, but I just can't see him being a useful piece unless he takes a huge and unexpected leap forward.

There's a tendency to sort of downplay defense in its importance during the course of a game in favor of offense. And it's tempting given how bad they have been offensively, but runs prevented can be valuable, as well as not giving up runs in the outfield.

I understand that they are losing that game regardless because of how Gerrit Cole was pitching and how they looked at the plate, but he missed that ball in CF with two outs of a 2-0 game... if he puts that in his back pocket, I feel reasonably confident that game stays more in hand. It just changed the entire trajectory of the game... it changes the momentum, it likely altered how AJ used the pitching staff, etc.

All of this is to say that the experiment badly needs to end when Austin Meadows gets back and if / when Riley Greene comes up. Last night may not have been the most winnable, but you risk losing something winnable in the future having him out there

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

There's a tendency to sort of downplay defense in its importance during the course of a game in favor of offense. And it's tempting given how bad they have been offensively, but runs prevented can be valuable, as well as not giving up runs in the outfield.

I understand that they are losing that game regardless because of how Gerrit Cole was pitching and how they looked at the plate, but he missed that ball in CF with two outs of a 2-0 game... if he puts that in his back pocket, I feel reasonably confident that game stays more in hand. It just changed the entire trajectory of the game... it changes the momentum, it likely altered how AJ used the pitching staff, etc.

All of this is to say that the experiment badly needs to end when Austin Meadows gets back and if / when Riley Greene comes up. Last night may not have been the most winnable, but you risk losing something winnable in the future having him out there

At the very least, there was this result.

One of the things that I would like in terms of managing a series is to dig into the opposition's bullpen as much as possible to make the pitching decisions a little more complicated for the rest of the series.  On the flip side, the Tigers really gave an advantage to the Yankees last night.  The defense just didn't seem to be as crisp on a couple of other plays as well.

The quicker the OF alignment can get back to what was expected, the better.  It wasn't great shakes to begin with, but at least there will be actual OFs out there.

22 minutes ago, casimir said:

At the very least, there was this result.

One of the things that I would like in terms of managing a series is to dig into the opposition's bullpen as much as possible to make the pitching decisions a little more complicated for the rest of the series. 

Yep, they rope-a-doped it last night pitching wise, leaving the bullpen largely in tact going into the rest of the series... may not have played out that way if they didn't get rinsed like they did.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Austin and Riley being unavailable is why the “experiment” is happening in the first place!

I wouldn’t call it an experiment, anyway. I would call it making do with what little depth we have.

• Like 3