6/12 1:40 Blue Jays @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

The Tigers finished the day with two base hits.

This is the sixth time the Tigers have gotten two or fewer hits in a game this season.

Out of 2,542 teams since 1901, 169 teams, or just 6.6% of total teams, had two or fewer hits at least six games in an entire season.

With just 59 games played this season so far, the 2022 Tigers are already on this list.

The 2022 Tigers are on track to finish the season with 16 or 17 games with two or fewer hits.

The major league record is 11, by four teams: the 1910 White Sox, the 1911 Browns, the 1965 Mets, and the 1968 Cubs.

At this rate, the 2022 Tigers will break this record on August 15, our 118th game.

The prop bet is: Scott Coolbaugh will still be the hitting coach when the Tigers break this record.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This press conference with AJ seems more tense today... press kinda pushing on the lack of offense

He looked like a guy who doesn’t have any answers. I don’t really blame him. But they have another 100 games to play so he has to get something out of it.

Just now, kdog said:

He looked like a guy who doesn’t have any answers. I don’t really blame him. But they have another 100 games to play so he has to get something out of it.

His answers were all correct as far as I was concerned, a lot of these guys have track records and aren't meeting them. 

Just seemed like the questioning was more pointed.... patience may be wearing thin

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

they take too many middle middle fastballs (like Cabrera just did). They are all doing it. It's crazy how many cookies this team takes.

When you see a guy do that who got to 500 homers because he *always* jumped 1st pitch FBs, you know something weird is going on.

They keep harping on 'staying in the strike zone' and that may be true for Javy, but the rest of them need to hit a good pitch when they get it.

Wasn't that the "take " on Issac Parades as well. Too selective. Now he is showing power in Tampa. Not knocking the trade but has analytics made Geeks out of hitters ?

43 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

His answers were all correct as far as I was concerned, a lot of these guys have track records and aren't meeting them. 

Just seemed like the questioning was more pointed.... patience may be wearing thin

I’m not criticizing hinch. He doesn’t have options within the organization to change half the lineup. He has to trust his process and hope things turn. 

12 minutes ago, kdog said:

I’m not criticizing hinch. He doesn’t have options within the organization to change half the lineup. He has to trust his process and hope things turn. 

He won't be here next year and he knows it...he has a bunch of other better options available after this season that dont include the two dipshits in Chris and Al and their dipshit stranglehold of dipshittery over the team he's trying to manage, and I wont blame him when he bails.

5 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

He won't be here next year and he knows it...he has a bunch of other better options available after this season that dont include the two dipshits in Chris and Al and their dipshit stranglehold of dipshittery over the team he's trying to manage, and I wont blame him when he bails.

He will be here next year.

14 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

All they will need is a couple of average MLB quality arms available tomorrow and it should be smooth sailing for them. 

I know you're trying to be sarcastic, but believe it or not, the Tigers actually have a better record over the last 10 games than the Sox.

It matters, regardless of how bad the offense has looked.

Edited by mtutiger

Yea stet day I was again hopeful and today it’s back to tears. What a roller coaster and what a fool I am for hoping. What are the odds of so many veteran players turning to toast at the same time ? Grossman Schoop Barnhart Baez Candy Meadows all giving nothing or very little at all offensively. 

2 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Yea stet day I was again hopeful and today it’s back to tears. What a roller coaster and what a fool I am for hoping. 

I think you’ve got something here SoCal. Work up a couple of good chords to put with this and you’ve got a hit on your hands. I’d either go country or retro, something like a 60’s remake sound. 

31 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Not sure why Hinch and his staff are given a free pass.  These are mostly established major leaguers with track records.  How is this all on Avila?

If he wants to leave, good on him.  

I don't care about Hinch.  The Astros are doing fine without him and the Tigers are still bad.  However, if Fetters is responsible for the Tigers pitching and we need Hinch to keep Fetters, then I want Hinch as the manager.  

Hinch has an out-clause in his contract, but not sure how that would apply to Fetter.  It would also be an incredibly bad look for Hinch to bail on his team, which is why I don't see it happening.  After the cheating scandal, I doubt he'd want to take on more needless heat. I'm also fairly confident he had a hand in on how this roster was assembled--they don't sign Baez and Eduardo, trade for Meadows and Barnhart without his blessing.  We have had an insane number of injuries (basically our entire rotation, except for Skubal) and a head-scratching lack of offensive production (that seems to be going around MLB)

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Hinch has an out-clause in his contract, but not sure how that would apply to Fetter.  It would also be an incredibly bad look for Hinch to bail on his team, which is why I don't see it happening.  After the cheating scandal, I doubt he'd want to take on more needless heat. I'm also fairly confident he had a hand in on how this roster was assembled--they don't sign Baez and Eduardo, trade for Meadows and Barnhart without his blessing.  We have had an insane number of injuries (basically our entire rotation, except for Skubal) and a head-scratching lack of offensive production (that seems to be going around MLB)

I also don't view him is as valuable a commodity to other MLB teams as much of the Tiger fan base does... there's no way the Mets are gonna clear out Buck Showalter just for the opportunity to bring on AJ Hinch. Or any other contender for that matter

For better or worse, this fan base has an inferiority complex whereby we are lucky to be graced with Hinch's presence... the reality is that he has had a big hand in assembling this roster and supposedly in some of the minor league development hires. The success and failures of this team will reflect on him in the eyes of the league.

Edited by mtutiger

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I think you're right about him not leaving, unless maybe they have a great rest of the season and he looks like a kind of turnaround expert.

The injuries have just been staggering… I cannot figure out how a team has so many injuries both in pitching and in positional talent.  I'm inclined to just chalk it up to bad luck at this time.   Also the lack of a proper Spring training might have impacted this as well?

As far as the hitting is concerned, I am inclined to attribute the league wide slowdown to a change in the baseball starting at the beginning of this season…. that's the only explanation that makes any sense to me.

I think if the baseball has been dead and, my guess is that it impacts mediocre hitting teams like the Tigers Tigers more significantly.... They already had less margin for error and now hope and now home runs that were sneaking over the fence are warning track fly outs and and line drive hits are turning into soft outs.  

I haven't assembled any study material, but my perusing of Tigers peripherals shows a similar pct pf barrels, but hard hit ball percentages have dropped, and their home run to fly ball ratios have dropped.   If I am correct in my observation, that would align with a deaden ball is a dead and ball as an explanation.

Edited by sabretooth