6/20 7:10 PM EDT Tigers @ Red Sox

theroundsquare

1 minute ago, kdog said:

They did bring the tying run to the plate in the 8th...so it wasn't completely non-competitive.

That ball that Haase hit in the 7th being caught was pretty deflating. He tattooed that ball, just somehow found Verdugo's glove.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

I think that that is more than coincidence.

Maybe it has just been the lowering of my standards the past ~4 years (...or even my apparently wild optimism in Spring Training), but I would now consider Torkelson finding his ground, and Greene having a productive 2/3rds of a season, a win (salvage) for 2022 at this point...even if we set up shop in 4th place in the Central.

If those two can both figure it out this year at the pro level, at least it gives a base to jump off from (and/or burn everything else around them down). 

If they scuffle, then I fear we head into a another multi-year winter...and what makes futility even more scary, is that we aren't guaranteed the warm embrace of a 1-1 pick anymore if we 'put in the work' to finish last.

I know it isn't true...but it really feels like the individual results of the next few weeks have long term implications.

Edited by StatikIEV

1 hour ago, StatikIEV said:

Maybe it has just been the lowering of my standards the past ~4 years (...or even my apparently wild optimism in Spring Training), but I would now consider Torkelson finding his ground, and Greene having a productive 2/3rds of a season, a win (salvage) for 2022 at this point.

to that I would add Baddoo.  Not sure why Akil got himself so crossed up once the season started after a decent ST, but for whatever reason he did. I tend to think that the way Akil hung in there right through the whole season last year without being totally exposed by August and Sept argues there is an MLB player there, and if there is he has the physical tools be a dynamic one.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

One of the reasons I was a Baddoo believer coming into the season is how well he responded last year after his dreadful stretch of play. He got to that hot start then completely fell off a cliff, usually it feels like once that happens the flash in the pans roll over and continue to suck from there on out i.e. Brennan Boesch. But Baddoo on the other hand rebounded and actually got better than he was before the downfall, atleast in terms of his peripherals like K/BB% and batted ball profiles.

That to me gave me hope that he could be legit and really I still have that glimmer of hope that he can be. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

13 hours ago, theroundsquare said:

Radio is underrated as a way to take in a game.  Darrell Evans also underrated.

Darrell Evans had a long career, but identifies with Detroit Tigers

Chris McCoskey and Dan Dickerson work well together.

I remember thinking Darrell Evans was old when he signed with the Tigers.  Here I am a decade older than that age now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I think he was trying to challenge Faedo in that moment.

It's risky. But in the context of a developing ball club, I am OK with it 

Likely.  Given where they are in the standings, why not challenge the young kids and see if they can be counted on for the future?

The other aspect is that the Tigers are "short" on arms, at least in comparison to how the roster was staffed before.  They're down to 13 pitchers whereas before they were at 14.  They simply need more innings pitched per pitcher going forward.

10 hours ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

ooooh, Alex Avila is going to be in the radio booth for the other 7 games of this road trip. hopefully those games will even be, you know, watchable.

Probably not watchable on the radio.  Or has the technology gotten really good lately?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

to that I would add Baddoo.  Not sure why Akil got himself so crossed up once the season started after a decent ST, but for whatever reason he did. I tend to think that the way Akil hung in there right through the whole season last year without being totally exposed by August and Sept argues there is an MLB player there, and if there is he has the physical tools be a dynamic one.

Agree

I hope I’m proven wrong, but I don’t have a lot of confidence in Akko being a major contributor.  He seems very raw and undisciplined in all aspects of his game.  He is young and relatively inexperienced (rushed to the majors last year), but for me, anything we get from him is a plus. I have him behind Cameron and Hill.

52 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I hope I’m proven wrong, but I don’t have a lot of confidence in Akko being a major contributor.  He seems very raw and undisciplined in all aspects of his game.  He is young and relatively inexperienced (rushed to the majors last year), but for me, anything we get from him is a plus. I have him behind Cameron and Hill.

I could see Akil and Daz Cameron being in a similar league mostly because Daz was starting to really show some promise before going on COVID IL, but I don't see how Derek Hill is ahead of Akil Baddoo simply based on the age discrepency and lack of bat to ball skills.

He plays good defense and has a lot of speed, but aside from that, Hill hasn't shown to be much more than AAAA player.

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Baddoo has hit better at 22 in the majors than Cameron did at 24 in the minors. I'm not writing Daz off, but Baddoo has already shown more.

Ultimately the ceiling is higher for Baddoo, but as for this moment I stand by my comment. Some of what we have seen lately in Toledo has been encouraging, but they will want to see it sustained before he plays his way back into the conversation.

Either way, I like Derek Hill and there are pieces of his game that are major league, but the bat doesn't do enough to stick. I'd rather see him before Willi in the outfield, but that may be about it.

4 hours ago, casimir said:

Chris McCoskey and Dan Dickerson work well together.

I remember thinking Darrell Evans was old when he signed with the Tigers.  Here I am a decade older than that age now.

McCoskey is way better on the radio than he is in print.