The Tigers have fired Al Avila

kdog

51 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Also, apparently, the gate is exactly what Al got. No kicking upstairs to President or anything like that, as I and other here have speculated might happen.

I really thought that's exactly what would have happened, Al kicked upstairs and a new guy as GM...

At least until today when Al was shown the exit door...

From what I caught of Chris I's press conference, not a lot of info, but he kept emphasizing bringing in someone to run Baseball Operations. 

Leads me to believe that he's not necessarily looking to backfill with a GM. Just hope whoever he gets is the right person for the job.

Edited by mtutiger

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Is Chris just throwing Al under the bus or did we wrongly assume all these years that it was Chris that didn't want to pay the salaries which essentially forced Al to trade them away?  

Maybe Al wanted to establish his that he was more than DD's errand boy? Did Chris give them a free hand because he had other concerns and he felt the experienced hand could run things? Maybe so.

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Is Chris just throwing Al under the bus or did we wrongly assume all these years that it was Chris that didn't want to pay the salaries which essentially forced Al to trade them away?  

Not to defend Chris, because it took him way too long to do what he did today, but he is the type of owner that views the role as being one where he hires somebody to do the job and gives them latitude to make those decisions. Most owners in sports are like this to a degree... they arent all Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban.

Having said that, similar to his comments at the Red Wings presser a few months ago, it's another case of him answering a relatively easy question in the worst and most aloof possible way.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Chris Ilitch couldn't ignore the steady drumbeat calling for Al's head. Once it migrated from the unaffiliated national media to the access-dependent local media, he was a goner. It was only a matter of when.

I think the reason Al got the gate now instead of October was because the longer he stayed on the job, the worse he made Ilitch look, and if there is anything a tycoon cannot brook, it's being made to look bad.

You do it now cause it gives you a chance to do all your homework and Chris has a lot given he doesn't have an Yzerman in this case.

He has to figure out who to listen to and create a quasi search group, think gabby.

Then do background work and maybe interview a guy or two with the hope to hire soon after the ws.

If you wait it's all either rushed or you miss a chunk of the off-season. It's not like a team really needs a gm right now. Scouting hasn't started and nobody know what they want or need for next year so there is no like deep prep for 2023.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, I don't know that making Menzin permanent would necessarily doom us, but it would be a lot better, I think, to go outside.

BTW, here is the news blurb written about Menzin when he was promoted last year:

Menzin, 31, is responsible for all aspects of MLB operations, including player procurement, contract negotiations, roster construction, salary arbitration, league-wide rules, collective bargaining agreement compliance, professional scouting, advance scouting and video operations.

So, he has already had a head start, but it's fair to wonder whether he is in part responsible for the mess of the last year, or whether he was making recommendations that were being overruled by the old guard still in charge. I have no sense of which might be correct.

i cant wait until david chadd is promoted to gm.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This public statement will do wonders for recruiting. 😐

Jackass.

Ultimately...the money talks.  I think the fact that they did spend on Baez, Zimmerman and E-Rod are the thing that speaks to the agents and the players.

That they are rowing with one oar now is because the decisions to get those particular player was on Al.