The Tigers have fired Al Avila

kdog

Whoever the next GM is, I hope they come in and gut this scouting and player development staff from top to bottom. Our player development, especially when it comes to positional players and developing everyday ballplayers, is a complete joke. There is a reason our farm system has plummeted in the ratings recently. A reason why those we call up frequently don't look ready for primetime. A reason why you can't name any positional All Stars developed by this organization.

Who is is the last home grown, perennial All Star we've had from this organization? Who is the last positional player we've developed that is worthy of batting in the 1 through 5 spot in the lineup? Once they get traded out of Detroit (see Nick Castellanos or Andrew Miller) do they seem to really turn it up and develop into top-tier players. The scouting and player development side of this organization needs a complete overhaul and I hope it gets one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, that 3-13-1 record last season is something the Tigers should strive for. 

If you expect a new front office to come into this franchise and have instant success I have bad news for you. They’re rebuilding the rebuild and it’s still probably three years out minimum, short of some dramatic and miraculous improvement from the bats.

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Whoever the next GM is, I hope they come in and gut this scouting and player development staff from top to bottom.

As a reminder, they hired a bunch of folks from outside of the organization last year around this time. 

All the old guard need to be swept out, but idk if indiscriminately firing everyone is the right idea either. It all kinda depends on who they hire I suppose... it may not matter depending on who they hire.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't want to copy a single thing from the worse franchise in all of sports. Copy the Lions? If that's the best Chris can do, sell the team now.

The alternative is having Chris Illitch handpick a replacement for Al. I’m not exactly bursting at the seams to see who he has in mind. His qualifications for being owner of the Tigers are being born rich.

The Lions suck and WCF was a dreadful owner, but Sheila chose Holmes and Campbell the right way. By letting smarter people than her complete practically the entire process.

8 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Whoever the next GM is, I hope they come in and gut this scouting and player development staff from top to bottom. Our player development, especially when it comes to positional players and developing everyday ballplayers, is a complete joke. There is a reason our farm system has plummeted in the ratings recently. A reason why those we call up frequently don't look ready for primetime. A reason why you can't name any positional All Stars developed by this organization.

Who is is the last home grown, perennial All Star we've had from this organization? Who is the last positional player we've developed that is worthy of batting in the 1 through 5 spot in the lineup? Once they get traded out of Detroit (see Nick Castellanos or Andrew Miller) do they seem to really turn it up and develop into top-tier players. The scouting and player development side of this organization needs a complete overhaul and I hope it gets one.

Andrew Miller was supposed to be the next Randy Johnson and became a good middle reliever after bouncing around the league. I wouldn't call that top tier and they got Cabrera so you would expect top tier in exchange. The last perennial all star was Verlander and the last position player worthy of batting 1-5 I would say would be Granderson. Interesting how they both were drafted and developed before they turned good in 2006 as if there was a pivot to going all in instead of drafting and developing.

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The alternative is having Chris Illitch handpick a replacement for Al. I’m not exactly bursting at the seams to see who he has in mind. His qualifications for being owner of the Tigers are being born rich.

The Lions suck and WCF was a dreadful owner, but Sheila chose Holmes and Campbell the right way. By letting smarter people than her complete practically the entire process.

And the jury is still out on the Lions. Just giving them credit for a GM and coach who may win isn't good enough. But their history isn't something to strive for. SOT? 🤣🤣

I am surprised that it's a clean break. Maybe at 64 Avila would rather retire, or maybe he thinks 64 is still young enough to pursue another active GM job, or maybe C.I. was PO'd at him enough to want him out completely. Or C.I. watched Kenny Holland bail after Ilitch made the effort to make a soft landing for him and decided not to bother this time. I suppose any of those and other possibilities too.

6 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Menzin is very highly regarded, Theo is unlikely to be available.

Yeah, I don't know that making Menzin permanent would necessarily doom us, but it would be a lot better, I think, to go outside.

BTW, here is the news blurb written about Menzin when he was promoted last year:

Menzin, 31, is responsible for all aspects of MLB operations, including player procurement, contract negotiations, roster construction, salary arbitration, league-wide rules, collective bargaining agreement compliance, professional scouting, advance scouting and video operations.

So, he has already had a head start, but it's fair to wonder whether he is in part responsible for the mess of the last year, or whether he was making recommendations that were being overruled by the old guard still in charge. I have no sense of which might be correct.

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

I am surprised that it's a clean break. Maybe at 64 Avila would rather retire, or maybe he thinks 64 is still young enough to pursue another active GM job, or maybe C.I. was PO'd at him enough to want him out completely. Or C.I. watched Kenny Holland bail after Ilitch made the effort to make a soft landing for him and decided not to bother this time. I suppose any of those and other possibilities too.

365582100_yougottabefukkinkiddingme.jpg.23c3da2c58c903b5d08b0329b14a37bd.jpg

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Also, apparently, the gate is exactly what Al got. No kicking upstairs to President or anything like that, as I and other here have speculated might happen.

This scenario is a huge bonus for the organization. Glad he got the “full bore” exit.

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I’m not a fan of Luhnow but I almost dropped his name here the other day. I’d go with it if they can get him. 

If I were looking to the Astro's for a name I'd consider Pete Putila. Doesn't have Luhnow baggage but considered one of the up and comers, I don't know of his history with Hinch

anyone see any significance to them parting ways with Avila the day Carpenter is finally called up? Suppose there may have been some difference of opinion around that move or a decision on a broader change in philosophy that led to that move that may have crystallized C.I.'s decision to change directions?

Andrew Miller was a unicorn...a middle reliever who could completely shut a team down for multiple innings and close it out if need be.  Had we signed him as a FA in 2010 or 2014 when he was available, we might have one a World Series or two.

Hire Epstein or that Houston fella..Lubnow?  Let them sort out who stays and who goes