The Tigers have fired Al Avila

kdog

Chris Illitch did not inspire confidence at the Press Conference.   I don't think he's very plugged in.  I think we already knew that, but to me it just cements that fact that winning is not a priority.  

Theo Epstein?   I highly doubt that.   

To me, Al Avila should be just the start.   I think the scouting department needs a total overhaul and so does the developmental staff........this has been going on far, far too long.    

I'd be interviewing people that work or worked with closely with Andrew Friedman.   If the formula is to be in contention 5 out of 6 years and getting to the World Series once a decade - I'd take that. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I think you're right about how the Lions handled it, but Sheila had 0 experience as her rationale, whereas Chris has enough experience with the Tigers and Red Wings where he would never think of himself in those terms. 

I don't trust Sheila only because she lacks experience, and the Ford family always seems to mess it up.

I don't trust Chris because of his specific dramatic failures with the Tigers to date over 7 years.

I think Chris is going to have to get himself out of this mess.

Chris has zero experience selecting an outside GM. Hell, the Tigers as an organization haven’t done it in 20 years. He might not think of himself like that, but I think he should. He stumbled into a generational talent in Yzerman that will likely save his behind with the Wings. I don’t think he’ll be as lucky with the Tigers unless he relies on some people with experience he doesn’t have.

2 minutes ago, KL2 said:

So the season ticket holders were all cool for the last five years? It was just now they need to be appeased? Come on that is crazy short sighted 

And yes it's a product but you also don't fire your entire leadership team cause sales go down for a month.

I don't know If they couldn't tell the product sucked.  At least their customers did with their feet.

Edited by romad1

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Chris has zero experience selecting an outside GM. Hell, the Tigers as an organization haven’t done it in 20 years. He might not think of himself like that, but I think he should. He stumbled into a generational talent in Yzerman that will likely save his behind with the Wings. I don’t think he’ll be as lucky with the Tigers unless he relies on some people with experience he doesn’t have.

If you have to pay Theo $10 million bucks to lead the search - do it !

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Ultimately...the money talks.  I think the fact that they did spend on Baez, Zimmerman and E-Rod are the thing that speaks to the agents and the players.

That they are rowing with one oar now is because the decisions to get those particular player was on Al.

Everybody says that, but nobody who’s good wants to work for a jackass, so the price goes up. 

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I wonder how this decision ultimately affects the Miguel situation

Its a thought.  I kinda wonder if Al was loyal to Miggy to a fault.  I wonder if there was a rot going on because of Miggy's lack of effectiveness.

49 minutes ago, KL2 said:

That would be a poor decesion. You don't make a decision cause 1,000 decided not to renew tickets. You make the best decision for the long term health of your business. 

What does this even mean?

Only a fool would ignore the concerns that cause the exodus of a thousand of his best customers. 

Edited by chasfh

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I wonder how this decision ultimately affects the Miguel situation

btw, I almost responded to that with something from hot-take hell like... "who the bleep cares how it affects Miggy"

But yes...this entire season seems fundamentally broken to me.  Why, I have no clue. 

17 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Chris Illitch did not inspire confidence at the Press Conference.   I don't think he's very plugged in.  I think we already knew that, but to me it just cements that fact that winning is not a priority.  

Theo Epstein?   I highly doubt that.   

To me, Al Avila should be just the start.   I think the scouting department needs a total overhaul and so does the developmental staff........this has been going on far, far too long.    

I'd be interviewing people that work or worked with closely with Andrew Friedman.   If the formula is to be in contention 5 out of 6 years and getting to the World Series once a decade - I'd take that. 

This is spot on. Or raid someone from the Tampa Bay system. Tampa and Dodgers are far and above the best in the league..... 

23 minutes ago, KL2 said:

So the season ticket holders were all cool for the last five years? It was just now they need to be appeased? Come on that is crazy short sighted 

And yes it's a product but you also don't fire your entire leadership team cause sales go down for a month.

Every customer base has a breaking point. This would have been one, and they Tigers may yet avoid it, because God damn right they’re listening to their best customers walking out the door. 

46 minutes ago, KL2 said:

When people who are ticket holders today are not renewing for next year… that’s a problem. That’s my point. They are seeing something. 

• Like 1

The 2019 D on the hat was billboard size! It was atrocious. I think that was Chris’ idea. 
The Tiger through the D was awful as well.

This team has one of the coolest hats out there and these morons spin their wheels trying to ruin it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

I think the only possible alternative to Theo Epstein would be too to hire a well regarded assistant  From one of the successful organizations like the Rays, the Astros, the Cardinals, or the Dodgers.

Putting aside the Dodgers huge advantage in revenue and payroll, I think it can be safely said that none of these organizations are a one man show.   None of them were built by one man nor sustained by one man.

It also follows that these successful teams took time to build their systems up with the right leadership and team in order to in order to build the right systems that could be perpetuated as the team changed.

The luck needed to pick the right GM, who would start the ball rolling and the time it would take to build the right FO team **and** implement the systems behind it all feels like it would require **another long 3-5+ year wait.**

Sorry, no f'ng thanks.

There are as far as I'm aware only 2 GMs around who have the proven capability to turn a losing franchise around.  The Tigers already fired one of them in 2015.

So in my opinion Chris either puts all of his chips in Theo Epstein, or he rolls the dice again on an unproven commodity, and waits another indeterminate number of years to see if it works.

Theo all the way.  Or bust.

theo epstein is not coming to detroit.

at this point i wouldnt want theo epstein.  go get the next theo epstein.

look at the orioles, they went out and got a guy who headed scouting for the cardinals and then moved to houston.  now theyre a viable team for the first time in 20 years.

as many have said here, look to tampa, LA, Houston, St Louis.  teams that have been continually successful and have reinvented themselves many times.

the lazy thing to do would be to promote from within, which is why i expect him ti do that.  but then again, i didnt expect him to fire avila so what do i know?

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Doesn't he have to "sign off" on big trades like this?

Either huge incoming salaries or huge outgoing salaries/ stars"?

wait a second, arent you angry that the guy who built this AMAZING farm system full of future lou whitakers, alan trammells and jack morris just got fired?  you've been telling all of us for the past two weeks how wrong we are and that the tigers system is awesome and full of future stars, and the guy who built it is fired.

arent you pissed?  😉