Week Four: Seattle Seahawks (1-2) @ Detroit Lions (1-2)

MichiganCardinal

17 minutes ago, Hart said:

Could be.  I don't believe it though.  I think the Lions are misusing him.  He wasn't that good for Michigan in 2020 because they lined him up in a way where he was easy to double team and he does not do as well in a three point stance for whatever reason.  He dominated in 2021 because they used him more like a rushing linebacker.  Leave it to the Lions to go away what worked for him in college.  

Either way, we won't know if he is a bust till year two or three.  And it probably wouldn't matter with this defense any way.  

its been four games.  too early to call anyone a bust.

Edited by buddha

Going into the season I said I cared more about player improvement then I did win/loss totals. On this defense who exactly has significantly or even slightly improved overall? Maybe Jeff Okudah, but he wasn't a rock today out there in coverage was he? Who else has improved besides Okudah? I'm seeing a ton of guys either go backwards or stuck in neutral.

It's probably too early to judge Hutchison, but he's been useless in the 3 of 4 games and has been statistically a non-factor. Alim McNeil has been a non-factor as well and looks bad against the run. Michael Brockers play has fallen off a cliff. We've gotten nothing from the Okwara brothers. Alex Anzalone is lost out on the field, running right into blocks. Amani Oruwariye is grading out as one of the worst CBs in the league and is making countless costly penalties and mistakes.

As an entire unit we look poorly coached and have been making numerous penalties and mistakes that set his team back. In crucial moments we can't be counted to make a stop. We can't even hold an offense as bad as Seattle's, with Geno Smith at QB, to a punt and get the turnover on downs. 

What is the justification for Aaron Glenn keeping his job at this point? Who has improved under his watch as DC?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

59 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Going into the season I said I cared more about player improvement then I did win/loss totals.

IDK how much you can expect in terms of existing playes getting better. The first year away from Patricia where you had bad schemes and bad lockerroom culture maybe more so. But from last year to this year I wouldn't expect to see many players turn into something they hadn't already shown other than an Okudah coming back from an injury. A few  might but in general you replace poor players with better players to get a better team. The one place where you get the most growth from reps in the O-Line, and that's been pretty good.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Don't worry, Goff will get injured next game.

ugh, you're probably right.   I think all of our Lionesque modes of bad luck should merge spectacularly. 

Goff will have a career ending injury from a ref throwing a flag into his eyeball, after Goff is called for a personal foul for pumping his fist on what would have been a game-winning TD pass. 

The league excuses the incident because the ref honestly thought that Goff was taunting his mother.

That sounds about right.

1 hour ago, Hart said:

I don't know what you can do midseason with this collection of talent.  They better hope Paschal is an immediate impact player.  

No doubt, and I’m sure Campbell knows that too, or will upon further reflection. I didn’t want to hear the same nonsense we seem to hear week in and week out though.

I seriously doubt Paschal will be an immediate impact player as a rookie coming off injury who missed all of training camp. But if he’s just good enough to get a little attention off of Hutch, that’s all we need…. To maybe make a team punt…. Once.

33 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Brad Holmes has drafted 10 defensive players in 2 years and these are the results we get thus far. How much of this is on play development from Aaron Glenn and his staff?

Hutch is dinged. Paschal is injured. Levi is injured. Melifonwu is injured. What did Glenn have to do with that?

If anything the blame is on Holmes for gambling on an injured DL in the second round and for missing (?) on Kerby Joseph. Fourth round and later is a crap shoot and he hit on Rodrigo. 

But Glenn did get outcoached today. He never figured out what to do with the counter bootleg. Seattle did it all day. 

22 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Hutch is dinged. Paschal is injured. Levi is injured. Melifonwu is injured. What did Glenn have to do with that?

If anything the blame is on Holmes for gambling on an injured DL in the second round and for missing (?) on Kerby Joseph. Fourth round and later is a crap shoot and he hit on Rodrigo. 

But Glenn did get outcoached today. He never figured out what to do with the counter bootleg. Seattle did it all day. 

Agree the personnel isn’t there yet but they still have to be better than this.   We’re at all time low kind of stuff.   

28 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Agree the personnel isn’t there yet but they still have to be better than this.   We’re at all time low kind of stuff.   

Yes, as I said, Glenn never figured out what to do about the rollouts. And they still can’t slow a mobile QB. 

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Melifonwu was available for today's game and could have played. Hutch isn't so banged up he couldn't play. If he's going to be active and playing I think it's fair to expect him to have had some contribution to today's game.

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Melifonwu was available for today's game and could have played. Hutch isn't so banged up he couldn't play. If he's going to be active and playing I think it's fair to expect him to have had some contribution to today's game.

Like the rest of them, Hutch did not seem to have been coached to know what to do with the rollouts. Seattle must have run that thirty times.