Week Four: Seattle Seahawks (1-2) @ Detroit Lions (1-2)

MichiganCardinal

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Concerning the defense...is it all bad players or is it the scheme? Hard to believe all these players can be this bad as a unit.

Logically speaking, it can't possibly be only the players. 

Nor can it only be scheme. 

Or else it wouldn't be this bad.

It has to be both. 

So blame Glenn Campbell, Holmes.

I mean Glenn, Campbell, Holmes.

• Haha 1

sometimes i really dont know what pff is looking at.

i like rodrigo, but how many times did he and all the lions linebackers get burned by tight ends?  how many 3rd and 5s got turned into 40 yard touchdowns?

some of that is on inadequate linebacker play.  

still a great find for a 6th round pick obviously.

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Satire?

Without trying to put too many words in Sport_Freak's mouth, I think he's saying that giving up the initial momentum can be detrimental to the team.  Given our bad defense it's likely the opposing team will go down and score meaning we'll have to play catchup.

How important is or isn't is obviously up for debate.  I don't think it's that terribly important personally, but who knows.

11 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Without trying to put too many words in Sport_Freak's mouth, I think he's saying that giving up the initial momentum can be detrimental to the team.  Given our bad defense it's likely the opposing team will go down and score meaning we'll have to play catchup.

How important is or isn't is obviously up for debate.  I don't think it's that terribly important personally, but who knows.

I understood what SF said to be exactly this.

I don't believe it's some monstrous mistake as SF does, however...

I really want Campbell to change his mindset on this. I think it is important. Listen guys... if we have a killer offense and hugely suspect defense then what should we do? Take the ball first and march down the field and score first. Put the pressure on the other team to stay with us. The league (and Campbell's) mentality is ALWAYS to defer to the 2nd half. We need to do the opposite. Score first, fast, and often and put the onus on the other team. And... Probably hold on for dear life starting in the second half as we kick off to the other team. 

With our lovely defense.

But I really want Campbell's famous (infamous?) aggressiveness to include this titanic change in thinking. And do the exact opposite of what everyone else in the league does... 

I understand SF perfectly...

17 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Campbell made a huge mistake before the game even started. Knowing his defense is struggling and isn't very good, he deferred the opening kick. Only to see Seattle drive down the field and use up the clock on a TD drive. Teams with a bad defense should never give the ball away. Se we got the ball 1st in the 2nd half, down by 8 points. Goff then throws a pick 6, magnifying Campbell's horrible choice. 

If our offense sucked I guess I'd agree that it's best to avoid an early deficit, but with our current offensive production it's not much of an issue to get down a score early.

Receiving to start the 2nd half seems like the better move strategically.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This game reminded me a lot of that Saints playoff loss from the Schwartz era, where the Saints did not have to punt a single time. I guess if we are at that level, that's something good. At least that was Drew Brees that burned us though instead of Geno friggin Smith.

It reminded me more of the game before it where Matt Flynn lit up the Lions defense. 

20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I always like the defer strategy, I like having the potential to get points at the end of the half and then immediately get the ball back to start the 2nd.

In pro ball, I think the defer rate should be near 100%. Both teams have an offensive script to start the game, so you won’t be able to change much by sending yours out first. Adjust at the half and start the second half on your terms. There are rare exceptions where I would receive, but these are exceptionally rare. The first instance that came to mind is a white-out blizzard expected to arrive 20 minutes after kickoff.

In youth ball and to an extent in college ball, I think there is more value in receiving. Those games are much more determined by momentum and crowd energy, and if you think you can get it on your side early, you can ride that for quite some time.

All that said, I think the difference between deferring and receiving is so minuscule, that it actually affects probably less than 1% of game outcomes in any given season. The amount of mental energy that was expended to the topic last year in these threads was entirely disproportionate.