Week Four: Seattle Seahawks (1-2) @ Detroit Lions (1-2)

MichiganCardinal

38 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Boy, I really hope Levi is as good as advertised. Brad Holmes thought so highly of him he wanted to trade back into the first round and go and get him. Let's hope he comes back quickly, shakes the rust off fast, and contributes ASAP.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I've all but written Levi off.  It's entirely possible that he ends up coming back, being productive, and even being a star.  I seem to remember some issues with a certain QB and injuries in his first couple of years.  So again... hoping I'm wrong but I'm just not expecting anything from him.

12 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I really hope I'm wrong, but I've all but written Levi off.  It's entirely possible that he ends up coming back, being productive, and even being a star.  I seem to remember some issues with a certain QB and injuries in his first couple of years.  So again... hoping I'm wrong but I'm just not expecting anything from him.

I'm not writing him off yet because I just want to believe that Brad Holmes is the right guy for the job, knows what he's doing, and drafted the right player here. I have witnessed nothing on the field that would give me any real hope. I'm just putting my faith in Holmes and this staff to turn his career around. I hope this doesn't end up as another Lions second round bust.

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wonder why we don't spend equal time talking about how Brad Holmes built the best offense in the NFL only one year removed from trading the franchise QB?

For the same reason nobody talks about Robb Deer and the 1992 Detroit Tigers

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Ok

I know that went over your head so let me break it down. Nobody cares about offense or stats if you loose a bunch of games. That's what the lions are doing and why nobody is talking about it. Sure the offense seems good, but if the defense gives up 50 it's like who cares. That's why nobody talks about it. 

14 minutes ago, KL2 said:

I know that went over your head so let me break it down. Nobody cares about offense or stats if you loose a bunch of games. That's what the lions are doing and why nobody is talking about it. Sure the offense seems good, but if the defense gives up 50 it's like who cares. That's why nobody talks about it. 

Ok.

Now go find the post where I said Goff is basically Stafford or kindly STFU.

59 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wonder why we don't spend equal time talking about how Brad Holmes built the best offense in the NFL only one year removed from trading the franchise QB?

My guess is that fans are waiting for the other shoe to drop.  As much as we're all hoping that yesterday was just an "off day" for the defense, we're worried that the offense has just been lucky and it might all come crashing down if we start talking about it.

Add that in with what KL said... that we're still losing and it's hard to get excited about too much when they're 1-3.

And then just the natural human tendency to complain about the bad things rather than celebrate the good things.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

whomever hired and elevated our OC deserves the majority of the credit.  hopefully that was holmes.

45 points with that personnel yesterday is a testament to the offensive play calling, jared goff, and the lions unwillingness to quit when they were down.

Im thrilled with the offense and I know in this league you can scheme your way to a good offense if you got a great playcaller/play designer and a solid qb but I also know that coaches and d coordinators are also pretty smart and the more they see of you and your plays the better chance they have to adjust and stop it so the pessimistic in me fears that eventually defenses will figure us out.

The optimist in me on the other hand is that yeah we lacked personnel last game but in the future when we're completely healthy(hopefully that day will come) including Jaymo that our talent will overcome whatever defenses throw at us. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Im thrilled with the offense and I know in this league you can scheme your way to a good offense if you got a great playcaller/play designer and a solid qb but I also know that coaches and d coordinators are also pretty smart and the more they see of you and your plays the better chance they have to adjust and stop it so the pessimistic in me fears that eventually defenses will figure us out.

Not the lions d coordinators. Run a rollout against the lions with a TE coming across the middle and you are guaranteed to get a first down. You could run it every single time. 

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The offense excites me for the future but it doesn’t take away the burn of giving up 48 at home.

Being 1-3 sucks. Having lost the three games by a combined 10 points doesn’t really make it suck less.

When MB talks about why don't more fans focus on how well the offense is going, Ben Johnson, Holmes acquisition of offensive players, etc, it is this exact sentiment from fans as to why. Professional sports is a wins and losses business and right now we have more losses than wins. So unfortunately, fans will take a shortsighted approach (I among them) and focus squarely on the losing record and why we lost, rather than looking how how great this offense has been playing and how close we are to turning losses into wins. Part of it is just human nature among sports fans and part of it is just the shortsighted nature of sports fans.

Nobody in their wildest dreams could’ve envisioned the offense being this good.   Crazy still is the OL still hasn’t been together at all and Swift and ASB have only been healthy half the time.  

Unfortunately, no one’s worst nightmare had this defense being worse than last year.   Scary to think how much worse it could’ve looked without surprise contributions from Rodrigo and Okudah.   

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

2019 Ravens started 2-2, finished 14-2 before a divisional round exit

2000 Rams started 4-0, finished 10-6  before a wildcard exit

1999 Washington started 3-1, finished 10-6 before a wildcard win and divisional round exit

1992 Bills started 4-0, finished 11-5 and lost in the Super Bowl

1975 Bills started 4-0, finished 8-6 and missed the playoffs.

….. so 80% chance we make the playoffs!!

But the Ravens plan of rattling off 12 straight wins now is my favorite.

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The offense excites me for the future but it doesn’t take away the burn of giving up 48 at home.

Being 1-3 sucks. Having lost the three games by a combined 10 points doesn’t really make it suck less.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Campbell made a huge mistake before the game even started. Knowing his defense is struggling and isn't very good, he deferred the opening kick. Only to see Seattle drive down the field and use up the clock on a TD drive. Teams with a bad defense should never give the ball away. Se we got the ball 1st in the 2nd half, down by 8 points. Goff then throws a pick 6, magnifying Campbell's horrible choice.