Week Four: Seattle Seahawks (1-2) @ Detroit Lions (1-2)

MichiganCardinal

Historically teams have shown you can win in this league with a dynamic offense even with a bad defense but the Lions defense isn't just bad it's historically awful. Not to mention not only are they terrible but they don't produce any TOs that can sometimes mask an otherwise bad defense, only 1 TO created in 4 games. 

Watching the Pats/Pack game and Hoyer got injured and is ruled out the rest of the game with a head injury. Considering the spotlight right now on those injuries we could be facing a 3rd stringer next week.....of course that 3rd stringer will look like Tom Brady so I guess it doesn't matter.

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

Watching the Pats/Pack game and Hoyer got injured and is ruled out the rest of the game with a head injury. Considering the spotlight right now on those injuries we could be facing a 3rd stringer next week.....of course that 3rd stringer will look like Tom Brady so I guess it doesn't matter.

if zappe and the pats light them up like geno did this week, glenn may get fired during the bye week.

28 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

They have schemed a ***beautiful*** offense this year, everything is clicking and we are racking up points....Its a thing of wonder!

....but we still look like a 5 win team. 

Cant believe that we are going to waste this tremendous opportunity to have a good or even better season because our nonexistent D cant ever make a play or stop anybody.

5 wins, huh? 4 more? No, I don't see it.

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

how long before the lions oc gets mentioned for hc gigs?

they have one of the best offenses in football with a castoff at qb and practice squad players starting at multiple positions.

Yep, its a great scheme, way better than the sum of its parts, with all due respect to Goff, Jamaal, Skipper, etc.

25 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Historically teams have shown you can win in this league with a dynamic offense even with a bad defense but the Lions defense isn't just bad it's historically awful. Not to mention not only are they terrible but they don't produce any TOs that can sometimes mask an otherwise bad defense, only 1 TO created in 4 games. 

Yes, if they were the Falcons from the early nineties they would give up lots of yards, but they would gamble a lot and get TOs.  They cant seem to do **anything** these last two weeks.

Having 24 whatever the hell his name is out there getting burned every down for two weeks is not the problem per se, but its a symbol of how bad the personnel and scheme are defensively at this point.

It’s too easy to blame this exclusively on Aaron Glenn (whose seat is not even warm FWIW).

There was a complete and utter lack of leadership on the defensive ball today. NO ONE stepped up to make the play that mattered. Not The #2 pick Hutch, not the captain Anzalone, not the #3 pick Okudah, nobody.

Rodgers just threw a pick six though so I feel a little better.

This is the Lions coming off a historically bad period. They are scoring a lot of points and they have another  possible star receiver joining before the season ends, that's the good news. And the D is terrible - and its next off season's project. NFL teams often turn things around fast, but that's usually because they went through a year where their record was worse than the team 'really' was in some way - for instance a bunch of injuries to good players who would be back the next season or a completely incompetent QB. The Lions earned their 3-13 last season the old fashioned way - they were bad. You're not likely to bounce back to playoff contention in one year from that.

52 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

So now Twitter is telling me Hutch is a bust. Thoughts?

Could be.  I don't believe it though.  I think the Lions are misusing him.  He wasn't that good for Michigan in 2020 because they lined him up in a way where he was easy to double team and he does not do as well in a three point stance for whatever reason.  He dominated in 2021 because they used him more like a rushing linebacker.  Leave it to the Lions to go away what worked for him in college.  

Either way, we won't know if he is a bust till year two or three.  And it probably wouldn't matter with this defense any way.  

I don't want to discredit the offense but I think you do have to take some things with a grain of salt.  Against the both the Eagles and Seahawks, we scored a lot more in the second half when we got down more than one possession.  Might be getting some help from some softer defenses.  And Goff is still making critical mistakes at times, something that has hindered him since he got here.  

That said, Goff is playing well overall.  He throws the ball much better short and over the middle because his arm strength is suspect, which you can see when he throws a deep out.  Just doesn't get a lot of zip on the ball.  But it does make guys like Hock and St Brown perfectly complimentary players for him.  

Edited by Hart

31 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

He sounds as pissed as we feel. Say what you will but it’s refreshing to not hear coach speak after every loss.

I don't know what you can do midseason with this collection of talent.  They better hope Paschal is an immediate impact player.