Biden's presidency

ewsieg

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Oh, I don't know, looks to me like a lot of people are finding it easy to get angry about vanilla.

At least in my view, outside of the people you would expect anger from toward any Democrat (ie. MAGA Heads), Biden doesn't inspire a ton of strong emotions one way or another. Even among some of those who may register as disapprovers when polled.

16 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Trivia:

Who is the last full-term Republican President who did not have an official recession start on his watch?

Hoover: CHECK!!

Ike: check

Nixon: happened under Ford so apply 'full-term' exclusion

Reagan: check

Bush I: check

Bush II: CHECK!!

Orange Menace: check -- 

OK  I'm out.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Hoover: CHECK!!

Ike: check

Nixon: happened under Ford so apply 'full-term' exclusion

Reagan: check

Bush I: check

Bush II: CHECK!!

Orange Menace: check -- 

OK  I'm out.

Actually two recessions started under Nixon. Ford inherited the latter one thus gets the full-term exclusion. Nixon served a full term and would be eligible. His resignation occurred during his second term.

On 5/5/2023 at 6:30 PM, chasfh said:

Why anybody thinks those Republicans are economic geniuses ...

🤷🏽‍♂️

GS_04102023_PL_fig1@4x

on the economy, 41% of US adults say their views are closer to the Republican Party, compared with 29% who say their views are closer to the Democratic Party – a similar divide to CNN’s polling a year ago.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/07/politics/cnn-poll-us-economy-biden/index.html

46 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Which recession happened under Coolidge's watch?  The economy was great during most of the 20s and wasn't he done before the depression started?

Most of the of data we have today was not collected in any organized way before the financial restructuring in the wake of '29 crash. At best the data prior to that is yearly estimates instead of quarterly so today's 2 quarter contraction definition can't be properly applied. 

Wikipedia's statement about '26-'27 is that when Ford shut down Model T production completely for more than a year to build the Rouge Plant for the Model A, that it was probalby enough by itself to have created a contraction.

It's kind of a silly question anyway because the cause of recessions doesn't always fit neatly into a presidency and I don't know how much presidents have to do with recessions anyway.  Of course, if you are going to blame Biden for things you don't like about the economy that are probably not his fault, I suppose it's only fair to point out bad things that happened under Republican presidents that are probably not their fault.    

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Which recession happened under Coolidge's watch?  The economy was great during most of the 20s and wasn't he done before the depression started?

Two mild ones, although i forget exactly when Harding kicked the bucket re: the first one.

image.thumb.png.4ce82842b39854f3d28777103307ed30.png

12 hours ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

GS_04102023_PL_fig1@4x

on the economy, 41% of US adults say their views are closer to the Republican Party, compared with 29% who say their views are closer to the Democratic Party – a similar divide to CNN’s polling a year ago.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/07/politics/cnn-poll-us-economy-biden/index.html

When it comes to the performance of the economy, it doesn’t matter what party people like. People get bamboozled by dishonest media. What matters is how the economy performs.

IMG_0700.thumb.jpeg.06cee68b4c4484d129e6f8d1b48a9d1f.jpegIMG_0699.thumb.jpeg.58d44830ac44f4c2f31ea8b3d1a438dc.jpegIMG_0697.thumb.jpeg.d862e9db36b7aceec7dc373bf7a6ddd1.jpegIMG_0698.thumb.jpeg.3f0bc3c15d54296d83409d1d05405c04.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, chasfh said:

When it comes to the performance of the economy, it doesn’t matter what party people like. People get bamboozled by dishonest media. What matters is how the economy performs.

IMG_0700.thumb.jpeg.06cee68b4c4484d129e6f8d1b48a9d1f.jpegIMG_0699.thumb.jpeg.58d44830ac44f4c2f31ea8b3d1a438dc.jpegIMG_0697.thumb.jpeg.d862e9db36b7aceec7dc373bf7a6ddd1.jpegIMG_0698.thumb.jpeg.3f0bc3c15d54296d83409d1d05405c04.jpeg

Interesting part about Pig Smuggler's screencap is that 41+29 = 70. Meaning there are 30% in the other category.

Gonna hazard a guess that cohort tends to be younger and is made up of predominantly people who are outright hostile to the GOP in elections.