Justin Verlander

UCFKNIGHT

Can we get JV and Xander Bogaerts to sign multi year contracts in Detroit? JV might be willing to give the Tigers the home team discount. Tre Turner, Carlos Correa and Dansby Swanson, I believe, will be out of the Tigers price range. Bringing Bogaerts to Detroit would move Javy Baez to 2base and I would be okay with that.

• Like 1

Verlander is going to go where they pay him the  most money and the team is contending.  The Dodgers always get mentioned.  I'd say it's 75% he goes back to Houston. They were willing to risk the cost of him potentially not recovering from TJ.  He did, spectacularly.  So he's worth far more than the $25M he was due.

He's not coming back to Detroit in the forseeable future.

After an instant career revival in Houston that includes two rings and soon-to-be two Cy Young Awards, coupled with a new Tigers front office regime with no ties to anything or anyone from the past, I see no path for Justin Verlander to come back to Detroit ever again, except to pitch against the Tigers.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

After an instant career revival in Houston that includes two rings and soon-to-be two Cy Young Awards, coupled with a new Tigers front office regime with no ties to anything or anyone from the past, I see no path for Justin Verlander to come back to Detroit ever again, except to pitch against the Tigers.

I could see him coming for what he believes is his last season, when options are more limited.  Of course by then, hopefully, we might not have the need.  Best case is a Kenny Rogers situation.  But you’re right, all ties will be gone—Cabrera is the last connection.

39 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I could see him coming for what he believes is his last season, when options are more limited.  Of course by then, hopefully, we might not have the need.  Best case is a Kenny Rogers situation.  But you’re right, all ties will be gone—Cabrera is the last connection.

The only way I see Verlander coming back to Detroit is to sign a 1-day contract just so he can say he retired as a Tiger.  

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - Detroit Sports Fan likely has more trouble 'moving on' than ex-detroit athlete originally not from here anyway.

Indeed.

I mean, look, I wish all the best for the guy, same as I would wish for anyone else. But I never actually rooted for him to win once he left, simply because he's on somebody else's team, and why would I root for the Astros?

I also never pined for his return because I never felt connected to him as a person—or at least, perhaps more importantly, didn't feel he had any lingering connection to us once he'd gone. I don't recall anything he said suggesting he'd rather be a Tiger than not. Actually, I would presume he was probably ready to be anything but a Tiger by the time August 2017 rolled around.

I understand that comes across as a brutal take, and I apologize for the feelings I'm hurting with it. But I'm borderline ASD, so it's not like I really care ... 😉😅

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - Detroit Sports Fan likely has more trouble 'moving on' than ex-detroit athlete originally not from here anyway.

Growing up in the Richmond, Va exurbs you might think his favorite team might have been the Braves with their great pitching staff at the time. He was quoted as saying shortly after the trade his idol was Nolan Ryan. While he probably has fond thoughts about Detroit, his heart probably belongs to Houston.

Kind of like his long time girlfriend vs his wife... 

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

Indeed.

I mean, look, I wish all the best for the guy, same as I would wish for anyone else. But I never actually rooted for him to win once he left, simply because he's on somebody else's team, and why would I root for the Astros?

I also never pined for his return because I never felt connected to him as a person—or at least, perhaps more importantly, didn't feel he had any lingering connection to us once he'd gone. I don't recall anything he said suggesting he'd rather be a Tiger than not. Actually, I would presume he was probably ready to be anything but a Tiger by the time August 2017 rolled around.

I understand that comes across as a brutal take, and I apologize for the feelings I'm hurting with it. But I'm borderline ASD, so it's not like I really care ... 😉😅

I liked JV mostly because he was such a throwback; mostly FB/curve (esp early in his career) instead of sliders and he could challenge guys high in the zone before it was even fashionble.  So all in all very old school even for 2006.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I liked JV mostly because he was such a throwback; mostly FB/curve (esp early in his career) instead of sliders and he could challenge guys high in the zone before it was even fashionble.  So all in all very old school even for 2006.

Sure, I liked him while he was here. I thought he was great while he was here.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's close but I think a Tigers hat as of now but personally I really don't care either way, things like that don't interest me one way or another. Theres a bunch of Hall of Famers that have played for multiple teams that I couldn't tell you who's hat they wore going in. 

Verlander will go in as Verlander.  He has done enough with both franchises so that each can claim him as their own.  I am very much into baseball history and the hall of fame but I don't even think about whar cap players have on their plaque.  I think of the Hall of Fame as an individual honor rather than a team honor.     

• Like 1