2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

No complaints here about the Pooch Barnhart trade.  He gets on base against RHP at a decent enough rate and appears to be a pretty good defender.  Plus, they didn't give up anything of significance.  This was probably their best case scenario at the catching position this winter.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 2

Barnhart looks like the perfect fit for 2022 and possibly in the mix for 2023 when Rogers is back. Definitely the type of catcher Hinch wants. I wonder how much input he has with the roster.

I read it wrong, I thought he had an option for 2023 but the $7.5 million option is for 2022.

Edited by Tigermojo

6 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Barnhart looks like the perfect fit for 2022 and possibly in the mix for 2023 when Rogers is back. Definitely the type of catcher Hinch wants. I wonder how much input he has with the roster.

I read it wrong, I thought he had an option for 2023 but the $7.5 million option is for 2022.

his one-year deal serves as the bridge to Rogers and Dingler.

7.5M is a bit much, but very few other options and just 1 year, and then Jake and Dingler join Haase.

Greiner and Garneau will not be offered ML deals; either one at Toledo is fine on a minor league deal.

Quintana is awful.

If you are trying to read the tea leaves, this is an excellent first move considering Barnhart's salary.

Solid deal. Kind of a So-So player but one that fills a need that will still provide value given the context of the Tiger's weakness at the position. And sure, it's mostly about the salary. Agreed $7.5 does seem high for what Burkhardt can do but it's a seller's market in catchers. Quintana's chances of turning into anything are vary small at this point. He's just enough to call it a trade rather than a pure contract dump.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

I hope Tucker Barnhart is the first step in a great journey. Granted, it’s kind of a baby step, but at the same time the Tigers got more than they gave up and a glaring absence was addressed. It’s a prudent decision. I hope greater boldness is in the offing.

I also hope the immediacy of this transaction signifies the team is serious about dealing right now instead of dillydallying.

3 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I hope Tucker Barnhart is the first step in a great journey. Granted, it’s kind of a baby step, but at the same time the Tigers got more than they gave up and a glaring absence was addressed. It’s a prudent decision. I hope greater boldness is in the offing.

I also hope the immediacy of this transaction signifies the team is serious about dealing right now instead of dillydallying.

You can bank on the Tigers trying to make more moves quickly. That seems to be Avila's MO.