2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

No on base, no defense, hits for power versus RHP.  He'd be another Marcus Thames which would be OK, not great.  I doubt they are going to go after an outfielder.  

I know, Rosario would not be a good pickup, but he’s a hot commodity at this moment, and I think some people might be into it. That’s the joke. Bet he still gets a couple years and eight figures from someone, unless he completely collapses in the Series. I wouldn’t want that to be us.

Fun fact, though: Rosario has achieved at least 1.1 WAR in each of his first seven years in the majors, including the short 2020. That’s pretty rare.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Is it true the winter meetings have been cancelled ?  Tweet I saw thinks it’s lockout related.  Maybe just covid precautions and they don’t need to gather to do their job?

I missed this on net. But even so, for such a meeting, unless you are trying to generate instant hype with the media covering an event, given modern telecommunications, a meeting can be held anywhere and anytime you want it to be.

3 hours ago, oblong said:

Is it true the winter meetings have been cancelled ?  Tweet I saw thinks it’s lockout related.  Maybe just covid precautions and they don’t need to gather to do their job?

That would be as bummer.  It's all been one of my favorite weeks of the year.  

I can't find anything on that, but it is scheduled after the expiration of the Basic Agreement.

The Winter Meetings are put on by MILB, though, and now that MILB is effectively no more after the hostile takeover by MLB, it's possible that may have something to do with a potential cancellation. However, since minor leagues would still plow forward after the CBA, the job fair portion would still be a of benefit to fill the roles needed.

5 hours ago, oblong said:

The winter meetings are still December 6-10, however they will be held remotely, rather than an in person event.

15 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

I think that the cornerstone of this off-season should be nailing down the SS position. By the trade deadline, many of the other items might be fallible by the trade deadline. On the other hand, if there is a new quality C and a SP, I won't go cry in my beer.

If we're going to spend, we need to go in with a shopping list. We're going to be giving up our 1st rounder if we sign Correa. A second FA will cost us our 2nd round pick. So we need to do one lump sum. Losing out on two first rounders in a row by signings is death to mediocrity for us in 6-7 years when we should be in the prime, waiting for these guys to be coming up. So Al can't just buy a SS an be done. He needs to put all his chips in the middle this off season if he's gonna do it. 

23 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I just saw Randy's post in the draft thread where we won't lose our 1st and 2nd rounders anymore.... I hope thats the case. I hadn't heard that an thought we'd still lose our early picks next year if we signed a player who turned down the Qualifying Offer......

Yeah, I was just reading up on this.  Teams will only lose their 2nd highest pick when signing a free agent (so a team will only lose a first round pick if they have 2 of them).  If a team receives money due to revenue sharing, the highest draft pick they'll lose is their 3rd, which I believe is the case for the Tigers.  

• Like 1

I bought a 45 gallon drum of that pink popcorn two years ago, still have about half of it.  That and some PBR and we should be all set. You need to be double vaxxed to cross the border.  When you get to my house, park at the church around the corner.  They don't like it, but what can they do?  They can't do nothing.