2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

5 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

I get your point...it is a valid one, there are no sure things.  But my perspective is, the  teams that really don't want to spend money, are going to use the wildcard as a "back door" ploy to keep fans in the bleachers as late into the season as possible...for those team owners.. "that" will be their victory.

The reality that most fans hearts will be broken by crushing first round elimination...really won't matter to such owners...they'll  simply claim that they "tried", and it was up to the players to "step up",  who ultimately failed

Tampa (payroll $64M) division winner by 8 games.

New York ($209M) and Boston ($154M), wildcards.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, casimir said:

Tampa (payroll $64M) division winner by 8 games.

New York ($209M) and Boston ($154M), wildcards.

I originally picked Tampa Bay to beat The Red Sox in the divisional  round. But my optimism was misspent. 

Maybe if the Rays had spent a little more liberally for proven talent, they might still be playing? 

I didnt make any predictions but if I did I think I wouldve went with the Brewers and Astros.

I wouldnt pick a play in team since they only have a 50/50 shot of even making the tourney so I wouldn't go Dodgers. 

For whatever reason I just never fully believed in the Giants so I would've gone Brewers cause I loved their front 3 and back of bullpen. 

On paper the White Sox probably had the most stereotypical October team in the AL, strong top of the rotation, proven ace you can lean on, dominant back end of the bp and balanced offense. But like the Giants for whatever reason I never really had faith in them so I think I would've went Astros due to their great offense and steady pitching. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

For whatever reason I just never fully believed in the Giants so I would've gone Brewers cause I loved their front 3 and back of bullpen. 

I liked the Brewers as a team, but I had noticed that head to head  during the regular season, the Braves had bettered both the  Brewers AND the Giants......so I picked accordingly after matching up a few player performances.

Of course, the Dodgers won their regular season series against the Braves...so when the Dodgers bested the Giants I suspected the Braves were out the  window.

Too small a sample size with the way the schedules are set up.

10 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

Of course after the Yankees picked up Gallo and Rizzo, I didn't think there was any way they would NOT win division. Especially with the talent that has left Tampa Bay on the past year. But my critics assured me that Tampa Bay was a lock for the world series.   "Bullet proof" they insisted.

Nothing is bullet proof in the playoffs.  Too short of a sample size.

Remember, the Tigers swept the Astros in a road series earlier this year and won the overall season series 5-2.

11 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

Headline of the Day!!

spacer.png

I don't know, I'd like this kind of a run of seasons.

image.png.758741b33f38ad923b57bd1c62200a5c.png

8 straight division championships and playoff appearances?  You know, I bet the numerical odds (not the Vegas odds) of the results of the playoff appearances line up with what actually happened on the field.

3 lost NLDS.

2 lost NLCS.

2 lost WS.

1 won WS.

1 TBD, although at worst would be a lost NLCS.

Where do I sign up for this?

Guy who was a top prospect, struggled in the bigs but has always performed in the minors. Was injured all year this year and didn't play much last year. About to hit minor league free agency after being outrighted by the Angels. Worth a shot on a minor league flier: Franklin Barreto.

On 10/21/2021 at 12:21 PM, Useful Idiot said:

Personally, as far as roster building is concerned, I believe that "cheap and controllable" are going to trump acquisition of proven talent (from outside the organization) , for years to come.  When they said they considered the Grossman signing to be a big splash, I think there was some  double entendre intended. 

If it comes down to a choice of paying for a top tier shortstop, or waiting for internal development to produce a serviceable alternative,....I think the latter option is going to win everytime.  And the need for patience to accommodate the wait will continue to be buttered with the explanation  that in pursuit of a sustainable future...yada yada,... ad nauseam.

They are going to try and build a perennial threat for a wildcard slot, not a team that can crush all comers.

I think you are right.  And that is depressing as hell.  They are going to waste all of the epic losing that they used to get Tork and Greene to build a basically craptastic team around them and hope to sneak in every so often with 82-85 wins, while guaranteeing a bottom-10 salary structure every year.

Unless they learn how to reliably turn a couple of non-tanking picks every year into solid or above average regulars, the above will be as good as it gets.

I still hate the fact that this cheap-as-hell owner can't fathom a league-average payroll to support a playoff team.

• Like 1