2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

If the Tigers are being geared to peak just above the 500 mark and sneak in to the playoffs every so often, then I truly hope that AJ, Fetters, and others (including the unfortunate draftees) can find a way to springboard off any modest success sooner rather than later, and find themselves an owner and org that truly gives a crap about competing rather than primarily being concerned about sustaining a low payroll.

3 hours ago, romad1 said:

Kids these days. Back in my day our parents didn’t panic until it was 11 PM and we 11-year-olds weren’t yet safely home, we didn’t have seatbelts, or safety helmets for bikes, and we sniffed glue and did acid hundreds of times and nothing bad ever happened, but these guys can’t play a little stickball in Phoenix without getting boo-boo’s and missing out on playing time. 

3 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I think you are right.  And that is depressing as hell.  They are going to waste all of the epic losing that they used to get Tork and Greene to build a basically craptastic team around them and hope to sneak in every so often with 82-85 wins, while guaranteeing a bottom-10 salary structure every year.

Unless they learn how to reliably turn a couple of non-tanking picks every year into solid or above average regulars, the above will be as good as it gets.

I still hate the fact that this cheap-as-hell owner can't fathom a league-average payroll to support a playoff team.

The last sentence is not a fact. It is your opinion of what he thinks.

• Thanks 1

I would also say that a kind of consensus (or at least majority opinion) seems to be forming around here that it would be rational and acceptable for ownership to behave in the way that I have described.

I would truly love for fans to demand more and better from ownership, even if it only results in our sharing opinions on a message board.

Edited by sabretooth
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Kids these days. Back in my day our parents didn’t panic until it was 11 PM and we 11-year-olds weren’t yet safely home, we didn’t have seatbelts, or safety helmets for bikes, and we sniffed glue and did acid hundreds of times and nothing bad ever happened, but these guys can’t play a little stickball in Phoenix without getting boo-boo’s and missing out on playing time. 

We are all made of the same cosmic dust.  Each baseball player is actually just a reflection of the Ur-baseball players who played in Mesopotamia and who arrived here on the Time Ark from our as yet, unidentified home world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

Not only didn't we not have seat belts, we stood up in the front seat.  Me and my wife just bought a couple new bikes.  The guy at the bike store asked if we needed helmets.  Uhh no, I've made it this far without a bike helmet I'll take my chances.

Edited by Archie

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Not only didn't we not have seat belts, we stood up in the front seat.  Me and my wife just bought a couple new bikes.  The guy at the bike store asked if we needed helmets.  Uhh no, I've made it this far without a bike helmet I'll take my chances.

The best was when you were just the right size to stand on the tranny hill in the back seat with your arms folded over the front bench nosing into your parent's conversation.

• Like 1

I remember driving with my dad in his truck in the pre-seatbelt era and if he had to slam on the brakes his big right arm would reach across the cab and save tiny me from crashing into the dashboard. He had long arms and a good reach. If he was Canadian he might’ve made a good hockey player.

• Like 2

I may be a blind optimist in regards to ownership but I see no reason to believe that they won't spend money. They haven't went cheap in the drafts or international signings, they paid more of Verlander's contract in hopes of getting a better return and even though it wasn't big bucks they've spent 10-20 million each of the past few offseasons on so so players when they could've easily just given those spots to AAAA minor leaguers for the league minimum.  

Whether we like it or not NO teams in baseball spend big money in free agency when they are bottom feeders like we been so to me the fact they haven't doesn't mean they are cheap. Also Chris and Al didn't have to come out and say they plan on spending, the fact that they do leads me to believe that they will.  Do I think they will spend like Mike and operate at a loss? No but I believe that they will eventually be around the top 10 in team payroll.  

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I may be a blind optimist in regards to ownership but I see no reason to believe that they won't spend money. They haven't went cheap in the drafts or international signings, they paid more of Verlander's contract in hopes of getting a better return and even though it wasn't big bucks they've spent 10-20 million each of the past few offseasons on so so players when they could've easily just given those spots to AAAA minor leaguers for the league minimum.  

Whether we like it or not NO teams in baseball spend big money in free agency when they are bottom feeders like we been so to me the fact they haven't doesn't mean they are cheap. Also Chris and Al didn't have to come out and say they plan on spending, the fact that they do leads me to believe that they will.  Do I think they will spend like Mike and operate at a loss? No but I believe that they will eventually be around the top 10 in team payroll.  

I don’t know if this is true but I want it to be true. It makes more sense than assuming that ownership doesn’t care about ever having a team that could do more than play 83-79 ball in perpetuity. AJ has indicated that his expectation is that they must spend. Period. It’s not like he and his crew don’t have other options now.  

I didn't attend any games this year but the ones I watched on TV - and I watched parts of most of them - had a lot of empty seats.  Spending more money and hopefully fielding a more competitive team should fill some of those seats and offset the cost of the players.  I still say completely dismantling the team and putting a AA or AAA team on the field was the dumbest thing they could do.  They could've keep core players and build on those and still remain somewhat competitive. Especially when they were dumping players for anything they could get and sometimes having to pay part of the salary of the player they were trading away.

13 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

The last sentence is not a fact. It is your opinion of what he thinks.

Yes, the Tigers seem to have crossed into a new paradigm than the suck & rebuild years.  The combination of hiring Hinch, the "success" of this past season, and the emergence of the higher echelon prospects have forced that upon the Tigers.

Let's see how ownership and the front office treat this offseason.  We can and have argued about how they get to this point, but now they are at this point.  I think we can all agree that what has happened in the past, at least as far as how the major league roster is handled, ain't repeatable this offseason.  I want to see how things are handled before burying them this offseason.

16 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I think you are right.  And that is depressing as hell.  They are going to waste all of the epic losing that they used to get Tork and Greene to build a basically craptastic team around them and hope to sneak in every so often with 82-85 wins, while guaranteeing a bottom-10 salary structure every year.

Unless they learn how to reliably turn a couple of non-tanking picks every year into solid or above average regulars, the above will be as good as it gets.

I still hate the fact that this cheap-as-hell owner can't fathom a league-average payroll to support a playoff team.

I would have completely agreed with this a year ago, but I’m gonna give them at least this year to prove that they have gotten smarter about roster management such that they can make actual sustainable gains beginning with next season.

I don’t need them to make a “big splash” to win me over, but I do want them to prove out their born again philosophy, which has been remaking the front office, with the acquisition of first-division big league talent this year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I remember driving with my dad in his truck in the pre-seatbelt era and if he had to slam on the brakes his big right arm would reach across the cab and save tiny me from crashing into the dashboard. He had long arms and a good reach. If he was Canadian he might’ve made a good hockey player.

Yes, exactly! I remember when I first started going out on dates as a teenager, driving my first car (a ‘73 Vega, I kid you not), having to slam on the brakes and instinctively reaching over as the driver to protect my passenger, the way my mom did for me when I was little. My date had zero understanding of why I did this. She thought I was making a move on her in transit.

There was no second date.

Edited by chasfh

8 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

If I remember correctly, he clashed with James McCann and the Tigers decided one of them had to go and they decided to keep McCann.  

EDIT: Nope, Iglesias and McCann left at the same time.  I should have looked it up before commenting.  For some reason I thought they got rid of Iglesias a lot sooner.  

Is this what it feels like to get old?