2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

35 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Pass on Maldonado. He can go be a 35-year-old sub-replacement catcher on someone else's roster.

Bonus: he's 1-for-24 with nine strikeouts in the playoffs for the Astros.

More importantly, of course, he had a 58 OPS+ this year and 73 lifetime.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure we have to find a catcher. We're not gonna win next year even with Realmuto, and we have what we hope is a potential All-Star in Jake who's coming back in 2023. We can't sign someone for more than a year, the market for catchers is for shit, so what are we doing, then?

If anything, you might pick up a non-tender or a cut in March. Otherwise, stick Haase and TBD out there for a year and hope for the best.

Do we have Greiner back for 2022?

I could live with the devil we know for one more year. 

Can we stick Garneau in AAA? Fallback option #1?

And maybe one more similar AAAA guy just as a fallback to get through the year...?

I agree...

Don't really see a need to send any money for one year when there are no really good options for that anyways...

Latest On Mets, Javier Baez

By Anthony Franco | October 19, 2021 at 10:26pm CDT

The Mets stumbled down the stretch, dropping out of the playoff race with a disappointing final couple of months. That wasn’t the fault of their marquee trade deadline acquisition, though, as Javier Báez lived up to expectations. Acquired from the Cubs on deadline day, Báez hit a fantastic .299/.371/.515 with nine homers in 186 plate appearances for the Mets.

Báez seemingly made a strong impression in his couple of months in the organization, and Andy Martino of SNY suggests there’s a legitimate possibility he and the club agree to a long-term deal relatively early into the offseason, although he cautions that the club has not yet put forth a formal extension offer. A return to the Mets would mean Báez moving permanently to second base, as Francisco Lindor already has shortstop accounted for in Flushing for the next decade.

This summer, Báez already showed some willingness to move off shortstop in deference to Lindor. While he started his Mets’ tenure at short while Lindor was recovering from an oblique issue, Báez slid over to the keystone for the season’s final five weeks. Assuming he’s willing to play second base regularly moving forward, he’d likely be a plus defender at the position who’s more than capable of sliding back over to shortstop if injuries and/or rest days necessitate.

An early-offseason strike of this magnitude by the Mets would be quite a surprise, since the club’s new president of baseball operations is yet to be determined. Signing a marquee free agent to a significant contract before or almost immediately after the hiring of the team’s new baseball operations leader would be an odd decision, but Martino writes that Báez has commanded the respect of owner Steve Cohen and team president Sandy Alderson.

Not only were Mets’ higher-ups impressed by Báez’s performance, according to Martino, they were also struck by his accountability for the now-infamous “thumbs down” saga. With the team reeling after the trade deadline, discontentment mounted and the Mets often faced plenty of criticism from their own fans. In response, some Mets players — Báez included — used a “thumbs down” celebration after certain plays to symbolically return the boos to their own fanbase. The behavior led to a stern rebuke from Alderson and a needless controversy, but Martino writes that Báez’s willingness to accept responsibility for the situation allowed the sides to put the matter behind them.

Celebration controversy aside, it’s easy to understand why Báez’s play apparently made such a strong impression on Cohen and Alderson. At his best, he’s a high-end defensive middle infielder and impact power threat, to say nothing of the obvious energy and flair he brings to an organization. In three of the past four seasons, Báez has posted above-average marks on both sides of the ball en route to campaigns valued at around four or five wins above replacement by both FanGraphs and Baseball Reference.

That impact potential makes Báez one of the key members of this offseason’s famously star-studded shortstop class. Still, he’s not in position to land the top-of-the-market deals of players like Carlos Correa or Corey Seager, as Báez has been prone to bouts of offensive inconsistency. His numbers in last year’s shortened season (.203/.238/.360 over 235 plate appearances) were awful. And while Báez finished this past season on a tear, he wasn’t great over the year’s first few months.

In 361 plate appearances with the Cubs prior to being traded, the 28-year-old (29 in December) hit .248/.292/.484. That’s roughly league average production, by measure of wRC+, with Báez’s impact power largely offset by a poor on-base percentage. In spite of his strong finish, it’s fair to question how reliably teams can count on Báez reaching base moving forward. He struck out in 33.6% of his plate appearances in 2021 while walking just 5.1% of the time, an essentially unparalleled combination for an above-average hitter. And over the past two seasons, no other hitter (minimum 500 plate appearances) has swung and missed at a higher percentage of pitches seen.

Báez’s somewhat enigmatic combination of elite power/glovework and perhaps the game’s most overaggressive approach makes him one of the most difficult players on the market to value. Martino suggests he could land a guarantee in the $150MM — $200MM range, although it’d frankly register as a surprise if any team were willing to commit that heavily to a player with such significant swing-and-miss concerns. Still, there’s little question that Báez will command a large contract of some kind this winter, whether from the Mets or another club.

The crosstown Yankees could certainly be a fit, as they’re generally expected to be involved in the bidding for some of the top free agent shortstops. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman flatly acknowledged this afternoon the club “(has) to address” the position in some manner this winter, with former shortstop Gleyber Torres now viewed as a second baseman. Martino reports the Yankees were “aggressive” in their pursuit of Báez via trade before he landed with the Mets this summer, and there’d certainly be some merit to considering another run at him in free agency over the coming weeks and months.

If Baez & the Mets potentially get an extension completed early, it seems like this would ramp up prices on the remaining SSs as Baez is off the board and one of the SSs moves to 2B.  Not the best of news for Detroit.

On the other hand, I'd prefer the Tigers not sign Baez anyway.  He'd be an upgrade over the flotsam & jetsam that the Tigers had at SS this past season, but I'm suspicious of the low OBP going forward.

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

I'm not sure we have to find a catcher. We're not gonna win next year even with Realmuto, and we have what we hope is a potential All-Star in Jake who's coming back in 2023. We can't sign someone for more than a year, the market for catchers is for shit, so what are we doing, then?

If anything, you might pick up a non-tender or a cut in March. Otherwise, stick Haase and TBD out there for a year and hope for the best.

What a difference a year makes.  Last year, Rogers was persona non grata among Tiger fans.  Now his injury is considered by that same group (myself included) to be an impediment for next season.

Thinking over the C situation.  I have to wonder WWDDD?   (What would Dave Dombrowski do?)

He would swing a trade for the best available C in trade market.  That player might have a poisonous locker room reputation or some other reason why the other team was trading him or he could be an un polished gem. 

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t care what Dave Dombrowski would do. He is apparently no longer the guy the current Tigers front office wants to emulate. Thank god.

Yes, yes, the current situation is contingent on WWAJD and I think that would be:  Give me an all-star.  If you can't give me an all-star, give me a guy who can call a game.  If you can't do that.  Give me a guy my pitchers don't hate who can catch the ball.  

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK, It's still not clear Rogers is going to hit enough even with his D. He's still not played enough of a stretch to just assume he is the answer.

This is definitely a concern... he needs more time to kinda prove it. Which he is not gonna get anytime soon.

In the meantime, IDK if rolling into next season with Haase/Garneau and hoping Dingler moves fast next year is a great move if you desire to make improvements on next year (as the Tigers brass says they do). It's a lot to ask of Haase who easily could regress next season and whose defense is touch and go.

31 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Thinking over the C situation.  I have to wonder WWDDD?   (What would Dave Dombrowski do?)

He would swing a trade for the best available C in trade market.  That player might have a poisonous locker room reputation or some other reason why the other team was trading him or he could be an un polished gem. 

They don't need best available, just serviceable. The asking price may be reasonable depending on who it is and what the circumstances are.

Mentioned it a while ago, but someone like Pedro Severino from the Orioles might be a fit... with Adley Rutschman likely to be elevated to Baltimore, one imagines he's not going to get as much playing time next year. And I doubt the asking price would be high.

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK, It's still not clear Rogers is going to hit enough even with his D. He's still not played enough of a stretch to just assume he is the answer.

Definitely this.  Rogers had almost exactly the same number of ABs in 2019 when many thought he was a bust as he had before his injury in 2021.

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

But I would still look at Rogers and Dingler as 2023 potentials, not anything for 2022... so I would want to get through a 1-year stopgap, and then let the kids battle it out to see who can take over the starting position versus getting backup time... And fill in with fallback veterans behind them in AAA and AA...

I have 100% faith that Rogers could have sustained his 2021 performance if the injury had not occurred.  Maybe not the .800 OPS but I would bet on 24 HRs and 24 doubles in 135 games which is pretty nice for a number 9 hitter.

However, next time he plays he will be 28 so it's possible we have missed his prime years with the bat.

18 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I have 100% faith that Rogers could have sustained his 2021 performance if the injury had not occurred.  Maybe not the .800 OPS but I would bet on 24 HRs and 24 doubles in 135 games which is pretty nice for a number 9 hitter.

However, next time he plays he will be 28 so it's possible we have missed his prime years with the bat.

I wonder whether catchers have shorter or earlier primes than they would otherwise have due to wear and tear.

14 minutes ago, Archie said:

Before I signed a lower tiered catcher I would keep Garneau and give Dingler equal opportunity in ST to make the team.  They already have plenty of lower tier catchers so why sign another.  

I don't have the data in front of me but Garneau and Greiner by be eligible as minor league FAs. Pretty sure they burned Grayson's last option this year at any rate.

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Before I signed a lower tiered catcher I would keep Garneau and give Dingler equal opportunity in ST to make the team.  They already have plenty of lower tier catchers so why sign another.  

If they thought Dingler was an option, they probably would sent him to the AZ Fall League.

Based on his struggles in Erie, I’d be surprised if he gets a MLB at-bat next season.