2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

Avila may not be creative enough to do this, but if they sign FAs before the lockout, and pay big signing bonuses instead of 2022 salary, I wonder if they can game the system somewhat.

like Chris Taylor - 4/60, with $12M signing bonus, and salaries of 3/15/15/15

to the extent there is a lockout, Taylor would lose just some of his $3M salary

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Avila may not be creative enough to do this, but if they sign FAs before the lockout, and pay big signing bonuses instead of 2022 salary, I wonder if they can game the system somewhat.

like Chris Taylor - 4/60, with $12M signing bonus, and salaries of 3/15/15/15

to the extent there is a lockout, Taylor would lose just some of his $3M salary

I doubt any player would agree to it. They're pay isn't going to go down. And any FA would have gone through several arbitration years and wouldn't be desperate for money.

The player is better waiting to see how the CBA unfolds. 

3 minutes ago, KL2 said:

You are right.   I don't pay much attention to manager awards, so I am not surprised I am wrong.  Looking back at that season, I see that the Marlins were at around .500 in still in the Wildcard race well into September, so I can imagine writers mailing in their Girardi ballots early before the Marlins cooled at the end of the season.  I don't think writers will view the Tigers season as extraordinary.  Even as a Tigers fan, I don't view it as extraordinary.  What I do see is an organization that appears to be catching up to the rest of the league in modern anaylsis and management.  Hinch is part of that, but it's more of a positive new direction than one great season.  

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

You are right.   I don't pay much attention to manager awards, so I am not surprised I am wrong.  Looking back at that season, I see that the Marlins were at around .500 in still in the Wildcard race well into September, so I can imagine writers mailing in their Girardi ballots early before the Marlins cooled at the end of the season.  I don't think writers will view the Tigers season as extraordinary.  Even as a Tigers fan, I don't view it as extraordinary.  What I do see is an organization that appears to be catching up to the rest of the league in modern anaylsis and management.  Hinch is part of that, but it's more of a positive new direction than one great season.  

Agree. Just wanted to point out, a 78 win manager has won it before. But its like JV winning the MVP, you need to right ingredients to make it happen. A team wins 75 and  was expected to win 40, then the other playoff teams are the same as they've been for several years. 

7 minutes ago, Archie said:

When I look at the 2021 Tiger season the highlight is all the game and series wins against the top teams.  But you can't forget all the losses against the crappy teams and that could be what some people look at first.

I don't think the voters will look at that at all.  I doubt voters from other cities even noticed.  

I think it will be Cora's to lose. People forget that the Red Sox were about as bad as the Tigers were last year and really weren't expected to do much this year.

Not saying that they truly were as bad as their record last year nor aren't way more talented than the Tigers but Im sure voters will just lazily look at that and call it a day. 

I think it will go Cora, Servais and Cash or Baker. AJ will probably receive some votes though. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

If Cora wins then you can forget the argument that Hinch didn't win because of the Houston scandal.  I think he isn't mentioned among the leaders because quite honestly people outside of Tigers fandom are just not all that impressed with his current results or historical record.  But these manager awards are goofy anyway, you can get fired just as easily with or without one.

28 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jon Heyman made his FA predictions and he has Correa coming here for "something in the neighborhood of 10/300". Personally I think he's going to cost more than that but who knows perhaps having a few other big name SSs on the market will lower the price. 

Hopefully Correa has been lowering his $$ with every out he he has made in this WS....

🙄

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jon Heyman made his FA predictions and he has Correa coming here for "something in the neighborhood of 10/300". Personally I think he's going to cost more than that but who knows perhaps having a few other big name SSs on the market will lower the price. 

I suspect it will be a higher AAV as well. 

A ten year deal puts him at 37 years old upon the end of the deal.  I'm not quite sure how to gauge that.

Francisco Lindor got 10/$341M (some of which is deferred).  Lindor is about 10 months older than Correa, a ten year deal would cover roughly the same ages.

So, I will guess the bidding starts at 10/$350M.

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I can't see the Tigers not only spending that much but doing a deal that long.  A contract like that puts them in the drunken sailor range.

17 hours ago, Archie said:

When I look at the 2021 Tiger season the highlight is all the game and series wins against the top teams.  But you can't forget all the losses against the crappy teams and that could be what some people look at first.

Teams inside the division as well.

Have to beat your peers in order to make the next step

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Teams inside the division as well.

Have to beat your peers in order to make the next step

I don't think the versus team records is anything to worry about.  It is probably mostly random and not likely to repeat itself.  If they acquire enough talent, they will win enough games.  

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think the versus team records is anything to worry about.  It is probably mostly random and not likely to repeat itself.  If they acquire enough talent, they will win enough games.  

The sample size in-division is pretty large (ie. 18 games per team per year). But you may be right.

Edited by mtutiger

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The sample size in-division is pretty large (ie. 18 games per team per year). But you may be right.

It's still just one year. Is there some reason why they couldn't beat divisional opponents, but were able to beat better opponents?  There are always weird splits that fans obsess about and then they go back to normal the next year.  It's not something that concerns me at all.  

kind of meaningless at this point, but ESPN has the Tigers at #16 in their 2022 preseason power rankings.  They are ahead of every other team in the division, with the exception of the White Sox (#2).  At best, we're going to be playing for a Wild Card the next couple of seasons, but I don't think the White Sox will have as long of a window as we do.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32515195/way-too-early-2022-mlb-power-rankings

Edited by Tenacious D

51 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

kind of meaningless at this point, but ESPN has the Tigers at #16 in their 2022 preseason power rankings.  They are ahead of every other team in the division, with the exception of the White Sox (#2).  At best, we're going to be playing for a Wild Card the next couple of seasons, but I don't think the White Sox will have as long of a window as we do.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32515195/way-too-early-2022-mlb-power-rankings

ESPN must think they know what FA the Tigers will sign. The team could look a lot different in the spring with FA signings and if Tork or Greene make the team.

1 hour ago, Archie said:

ESPN must think they know what FA the Tigers will sign. The team could look a lot different in the spring with FA signings and if Tork or Greene make the team.

that's why they call it "way too early."  I think they based on performance this season, plus momentum--likely younger players who should continue to improve.