2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

How long will Morton's injury sideline him? That'd be my only concern

in the overall universe of things Morton has already suffered, a fractured Fibula is small potatoes. 😉

If there are no complications he should be good to go - for the 'stros -  in 4mo.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

in the overall universe of things Morton has already suffered, a fractured Fibula is small potatoes. 😉

If there are no complications he should be good to go - for the 'stros -  in 4mo.

If you are going to break a leg, the fibula is the best bone to break!  I have had an unstable fibula for years.  

3 hours ago, oblong said:

Miggy doing some lobbying. 

96D752A0-1B62-40E3-B499-71E6987D3561.jpeg

Judging by some of the comments JV has made the past couple years I get the sense that he really would love to come back here, particularly since we appear to be on the upward swing.

Of course it's all gonna come down to money but I think all things being equal he would choose to come here. 

Interesting. But that could be a case of something sounding harsher than it really is.  Since he’s a pending FA I can see the argument that org resources can’t be used on a guy who is contractually of no use to them at the moment. I am not sure he’s throwing shade.  Just stating realities.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oblong said:

Interesting. But that could be a case of something sounding harsher than it really is.  Since he’s a pending FA I can see the argument that org resources can’t be used on a guy who is contractually of no use to them at the moment. I am not sure he’s throwing shade.  Just stating realities.  

This seems reasonable.  And the tweet may not capture the whole rehab arrangement.

As far as having access to the facilities, it could simply be a standard protocol given the lengths of the rehab and the contract not lining up.  In addition to that, there are the protocols of COVID (which, OK, Texas and all, but maybe MLB's protocols).

And given Verlander's status, the Astros may have decided to keep their resource intact for their season and allowed Verlander to seek a rehab team that he was comfortable working with.  The rehab folks can work back and forth with the Astros on different rehab programs & guidelines for pitchers while the rehab team does the day-to-day rehab work.

Or maybe the Astros did kind of pull the rug on Verlander, but he's cool enough to realize that he's an older free agent coming off of TJ and getting into a public word battle doesn't make a whole lot of sense for him.  Remember, he's preached from the pulpit before on domestic violence and cheating in baseball, but when those questions got turned around on him in regards to the Astros trading for Roberto Osuna and the whole sign stealing deal, he kind of turtled up a bit.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Remember, he's preached from the pulpit before on domestic violence and cheating in baseball, but when those questions got turned around on him in regards to the Astros trading for Roberto Osuna and the whole sign stealing deal, he kind of turtled up a bit.

Tell it. For this reason I don’t really mind if he doesn’t come back to Detroit. I wasn’t really on board with Hinch being hired either. He’s a very good hire but I really don’t have much respect for the guy. It’s hard for me to look beyond what he did in Houston.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well we thought that meant we wouldn't be able to get Schoop back at a decent price.   We did.   You never know.  

Tigers have had history dealing with Boras.... I don't know that it makes it any more or less likely, although I'd prefer they look at Correa, Seager or Story first. 

Just now, mtutiger said:

Tigers have had history dealing with Boras.... I don't know that it makes it any more or less likely, although I'd prefer they look at Correa, Seager or Story first. 

I think they end up with

Javy Baez
Yan Gomez (1 year deal)
Justin Verlander (Incentive-loaded deal)
Michael Pineda or Drew Smyly