05/17/2023 1:10 pm EDT Pittsburgh Pirates vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

Maton either needs to go down to Toledo or be moved down to 8th or 9th in the lineup.   I am hopeful for the guy but Greene-Baez-Tork are doing things and the wheel stops turning when he comes up.   I know they don't have a lot of options, but Haase or Baddoo or even Rogers would be better options in the #5 slot.      I know AJ wants to show he has confidence in him, but the team is playing *well* right now and I don't think the Twins & Guardians are all that good.   It isn't a stretch to think that if they play like this they can be within striking distance of the division and someone might able to win it with 81-84 wins.    

But there is also the realism.   Get something for E-Rod while you can.   

But Maton just isn't getting it done and is killing rallies.  

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I remember there was talk of the Tigers drafting Kumar Rocker. The Rangers made him the 3rd overall pick. Yeah, he needs TJ surgery. The Tigers aren't the only team this happens to.

No, it feels like it happens to half of young pitchers now.     I don't know why it happens so much now as opposed to when we were  younger.   Maybe a few factors   1 - Pitchers throw the ball harder than ever.   2 - Pitchers throw too many breaking balls at a young age  3 - It always happened but instead of going through TJ, their careers just ended.     But it does seem like it's almost a given now and some people who pay attention call it before it happens.   I remember Pedro Martinez saying Mize would need it when he watched his delivery very early in his career.  

As far as the Pedro thing with Mize, youre not exactly going out on a limb but saying a young pitcher is going to need TJ so just cause he ended up right doesnt mean to me that there were all these warning signs. 

Also sometimes the perceived warning signs don't happen at all or at the least happen way down the road. Max and Sale were two guys that everybody pegged to have arm issues and Sale didnt need TJ till 10 years later and Max has been durable for almost his entire career. 

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

As far as the Pedro thing with Mize, youre not exactly going out on a limb but saying a young pitcher is going to need TJ so just cause he ended up right doesnt mean to me that there were all these warning signs. 

Also sometimes the perceived warning signs don't happen at all or at the least happen way down the road. Max and Sale were two guys that everybody pegged to have arm issues and Sale didnt need TJ till 10 years later and Max has been durable for almost his entire career. 

And Max has that violent delivery that looks like he won't last long.

I remember back in the 70's, Sports Illustrated had an article with photos of Jim Palmer's arm as he pitched. His arm was bent in an unnatural position. The article was about the forces a pitcher put his arm through. So yeah, I would say throwing pitches at max effort puts a lot of strain on a pitchers arm.

Yeah I mean our ancestors were throwing spears with max effort for millenia so I definitely think the human body can handle it to some extent but not to the degree that pitchers do nowadays. Also even though the overhand throw is a natural human motion I don't think the way you spin or release a breaking ball is which is why I think that is the biggest culprit.

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah I mean our ancestors were throwing spears with max effort for millenia so I definitely think the human body can handle it to some extent but not to the degree that pitchers do nowadays. Also even though the overhand throw is a natural human motion I don't think the way you spin or release a breaking ball is which is why I think that is the biggest culprit.

Yeah - compare to Cricket bowlers - who do mess up their shoulders but not their UCLs. 

5 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Not a fan of this lineup at all. Why is Greene out? Off Monday has a great game out today off tomorrow….

Hinch is channeling the ghost of Sparky Anderson. Sparky always seems to give guys off when they were in the middle of hot streak. I think he had a theory about it but of course it wouldn't make any sense to anyone else even when he explained it. :classic_huh:

Seriously - it's a LH pitcher. I don't know if I like the strategy though. Until recently Riley hasn't shown much platoon split - but if you don't let him face LHP, a platoon split will become a self-fullfilled prophecy.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

I love day games during the week now.  With my home office set up I have my two monitors and in between the gap I have my TV spun over so I can glance over at it between systems and spreadsheets.

I found it interesting that the Tigers have a boatload of weekday day games at home and the Cubs, the team that always celebrated sunshine baseball, have almost none. I chalk that up to the diaspora watching on TV, since the Yankees and Red Sox also don't have weekday day games outside of holidays.

I used to love getting home from school and watching the Cubs on WGN or the Braves on TBS. There was a time where they were on virtually every day and I got to  watch them more than the Tigers. Kinda surprised I never took to either team considering the exposure to them. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I found it interesting that the Tigers have a boatload of weekday day games at home and the Cubs, the team that always celebrated sunshine baseball, have almost none. I chalk that up to the diaspora watching on TV, since the Yankees and Red Sox also don't have weekday day games outside of holidays.

Oddly enough, for my 28 game package, outside of opening day, I only have one day game during the week, at least until July which is as far as I looked.  Usually they sprinkle them in earlier in the year.  

I know group sales are a big consideration for that, along with travel on getaway days.  

27 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I used to love getting home from school and watching the Cubs on WGN or the Braves on TBS. There was a time where they were on virtually every day and I got to  watch them more than the Tigers. Kinda surprised I never took to either team considering the exposure to them. 

this is exactly how i came to follow the cubs as a teenager.  i still keep an eye on them

26 minutes ago, oblong said:

Oddly enough, for my 28 game package, outside of opening day, I only have one day game during the week, at least until July which is as far as I looked.  Usually they sprinkle them in earlier in the year.  

I know group sales are a big consideration for that, along with travel on getaway days.  

This is the time of year where a lot of school groups are at the ballpark 

38 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

And for a while Mets games as well. Your choice was Harry Carey, Ralph Kiner or the Braves guys.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Braves became my favorite NL team for a while.  

My earliest memory of watching a baseball game was the Braves and Im wanting to say Pirates. I just remember one of the pitchers names was Zane Smith and as a 5 or 6 yr old kid the name Zane was so amusing to me.

Years ago I decided to look up his game log history to pin point the exact game and I thought I found it but now I completely forgot again.