06/07/2023 6:05pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Philadelphia Phillies

casimir

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Do you think the air quality today in Philly was better or worse than riding with your smoking parents in the car with the windows rolled up back in the 70s? 

Lol, I heard a serious response to that today based on particle analysis in the atmosphere where I live, about an hour west of Toronto. If you were outside at my house today, where the air quality was worse than New Delhi, and stayed outside for 24 hours, it would be like smoking between 7 and 10 cigarettes. 

6 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Do you think the air quality today in Philly was better or worse than riding with your smoking parents in the car with the windows rolled up back in the 70s? 

I list one of my hobbies on my CV as getting bronchitis,  thanks to living in a house and driving in a car with a mother who smoked a carton a day.  She smoked so much that near the end of her life she had oxygen in the house and her Directv remote had multiple cigarette burns.  How her house didn't burn down is one of those things I can only attribute to blind luck.

I'm at the point now that I'm almost at the point where I can call my doctors office and -- callback to an earlier thread -- they know I need antibiotics, albuterol, and benzonate.

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Ugh this post just caused me to have a terrible flashback to my childhood going into the bathroom after my mom, the combined smell of Pall Malls and … well … let’s just say, worst smell imaginable.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Ugh this post just caused me to have a terrible flashback to my childhood going into the bathroom after my mom, the combined smell of Pall Malls and … well … let’s just say, worst smell imaginable.

Or working in broadcasting in he early '70s. Sometimes you couldn't see the microphone for the smoke, not to mention ashes. How much of that crap got imbedded into the asbestos filled soundproofing? 

I'm talking small market stations where the boss usually did the morning show then went out to sell ads..

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

I list one of my hobbies on my CV as getting bronchitis,  thanks to living in a house and driving in a car with a mother who smoked a carton a day.  She smoked so much that near the end of her life she had oxygen in the house and her Directv remote had multiple cigarette burns.  How her house didn't burn down is one of those things I can only attribute to blind luck.

I'm at the point now that I'm almost at the point where I can call my doctors office and -- callback to an earlier thread -- they know I need antibiotics, albuterol, and benzonate.

Both of my parents and all of their brothers & sisters (12 total) smoked, except one.   7 have died from lung disease (my dad died of mesothelioma, which was from asbestos).  Both my parents did quit back in the early 80s.   One of my uncles was like your mom, even with lung cancer, on oxygen and in terrible pain, never really stopped.  He figured "what's the point now?".  When we were younger we'd say it was bad but he believed it was some kind of conspiracy of some kind to make people stop. 

The one uncle I have who never ever smoked (not even once, never even tried once) is still alive, 94 years old- lives in Somerville, Mass and shovels the walk ups for several neighbors when it snows (they don't have driveways there).  The man still works too (paints boats, fixes small things a couple times a week) and the only medication he takes is for the arthritis in his hands, when he needs it.  He's still sharp as a tack too.  A memory like Gordie Howe's before his stroke.  Dude's a dynamo.   Tells us young ones (my cousins in their 60s)  "you're all soft, all a yas"  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Or working in broadcasting in he early '70s. Sometimes you couldn't see the microphone for the smoke, not to mention ashes. How much of that crap got imbedded into the asbestos filled soundproofing? 

I'm talking small market stations where the boss usually did the morning show then went out to sell ads..

Ever clean a cart machine head with a long cotton swab in a studio where smoking was allowed? 

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Both of my parents and all of their brothers & sisters (12 total) smoked, except one.   7 have died from lung disease (my dad died of mesothelioma, which was from asbestos).  Both my parents did quit back in the early 80s.   One of my uncles was like your mom, even with lung cancer, on oxygen and in terrible pain, never really stopped.  He figured "what's the point now?".  When we were younger we'd say it was bad but he believed it was some kind of conspiracy of some kind to make people stop. 

The one uncle I have who never ever smoked (not even once, never even tried once) is still alive, 94 years old- lives in Somerville, Mass and shovels the walk ups for several neighbors when it snows (they don't have driveways there).  The man still works too (paints boats, fixes small things a couple times a week) and the only medication he takes is for the arthritis in his hands, when he needs it.  He's still sharp as a tack too.  A memory like Gordie Howe's before his stroke.  Dude's a dynamo.   Tells us young ones (my cousins in their 60s)  "you're all soft, all a yas"  

My "like" was not that i liked that all those people died from lung disease.   My dad crazily enough for having lived with my mother, is also the 94 year-old-energizer bunny.  His energy and mental sharpness is amazing.  He drives still across the state from Oceana County to Livonia like twice a month to deal with my handicapped brother's various appointments.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Ever clean a cart machine head with a long cotton swab in a studio where smoking was allowed? 

Yep. Been there, done that. Then there’s the person who follows the smokers and sprays the entire studio with extra strength Lisol 

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I used to ride around in my grandparents station wagon with a blue haze of smoke and the front windows cracked two inches because I was in the car.

We fought over who got to sit on the hump in back of a Mustang II…. Of course no one had a seatbelt on

54 minutes ago, kdog said:

25 years old; He was demoted to AA this year. So you don't have to waste the energy googling his stats.

Keeping trying to find a diamond in the rough. Eventually you will. If not this season, next season. If not next season, the season after. Shoulda just paid Candelario. <ducks>

4 hours ago, romad1 said:

My "like" was not that i liked that all those people died from lung disease.   My dad crazily enough for having lived with my mother, is also the 94 year-old-energizer bunny.  His energy and mental sharpness is amazing.  He drives still across the state from Oceana County to Livonia like twice a month to deal with my handicapped brother's various appointments.  

I didn't think that you liked that.    Not for a second.    They also grew up in a city with pretty dirty air (in their youth) and I am sure that didn't help.  

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Bring back memories of my cigar smoking dad rolling the window down a crack as he loaded up the station wagon with as many of the nine kids that would fit for that big trip up to summer vacation in Grand Rapids