Thoughts about rebuilding

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

If they can make this kind of progress with a team of schlubs, just think what they can do with actual major league-level talent.

They are still last in the majors in runs scored per game, but I suppose 3.58 RPG is better than 3.44 RPG (2022).  

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

They are still last in the majors in runs scored per game, but I suppose 3.58 RPG is better than 3.44 RPG (2022).  

That's what you get with arguably the least-talented hitters in the game. Get more talented hitters, get more runs.

12 hours ago, kdog said:

A certain local podcaster(Petzold's co-host) used RBI as as defense for Baez lol.

Dude absolute rides Spencer Torkelson like a rented mule yet will hardly ever criticize, or allow criticism, of Javy.

I know Javy plays a position of higher importance defensively and has played it well this year, but he's also below .600 in terms of OPS.

On 6/10/2023 at 1:33 PM, Toddwert said:

What happened to Chafin staying near his farm in Ohio?…… sometimes money talks

This. And just to put the cap on this discussion - I would assume that everyone read Chafin's response to Petzold during the Atlanta series but if not, he said that he would have been glad to come back to Det if their offer had been as good.

Chafin eventually wanted to return the Tigers, a product of an underwhelming experience in free agency, and although the two sides were in communication, president of baseball operations Scott Harris didn't make the best offer. As a result, Chafin signed with the Diamondbacks. 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2023/06/13/detroit-tigers-andrew-chafin-didnt-return-arizona-diamondbacks/70314387007/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

This. And just to put the cap on this discussion - I would assume that everyone read Chafin's response to Petzold during the Atlanta series but if not, he said that he would have been glad to come back to Det if their offer had been as good.

Hadn’t seen that.  That was a miss by Harris, unless Chafin left out that he wanted a no-trade in his deal, which would diminish his ultimate value to the Tigers.

On 6/13/2023 at 4:38 PM, kdog said:

A certain local podcaster(Petzold's co-host) used RBI as as defense for Baez lol.

We all know that RBI is not a solidly meaningful statistic BUT when your team is last in runs scored in baseball it stands to reason that those RBI's might..maybe..have more value than in the traditional sense. Possible ?

7 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

We all know that RBI is not a solidly meaningful statistic BUT when your team is last in runs scored in baseball it stands to reason that those RBI's might..maybe..have more value than in the traditional sense. Possible ?

Since creating RBI is proven not to be a skill possessed by certain players, but rather the result of circumstances, there is no reason to place more "value" on them.

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Chafin is making less in guaranteed money with Arizona this year than he would have with Detroit, but he is also getting a club option in 2024 versus nothing for 2024 from us, and players want the security of staying employed for as many years as possible. So he did go to Arizona for a somewhat improved deal, although he has to earn the second year with performance to avoid making less with AZ than he would have with us, so it’s not quite as simple as Arizona offered him an extra dollar, which is what the “money talks” argument implies.

I’m skeptical that even that was the whole reason, though. He made such a thing about coming home to the area that it’s weird he left for a completely different part of the country to possibly make less money. I’m guessing there are additional reasons why he left beyond just the money.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m guessing there are additional reasons why he left beyond just the money.

he was not a numbers guy; dismissive of stats; maybe there was friction with Fetter; but he seems to be a pretty goofy, friendly guy; again, it was a bad decision to not trade him; and it was a bad decision to downgrade to Shreve to save some of Ilitch's money

Maybe Chafin overestimated his value or the market underestimated his value, and at some point he just decided Arizona's deal was the best that he was going to get?  And by deal, I'm talking the combination of salary, team, role, off field, etc, with differing weights to each of those variables, with those weights ebbing and flowing in importance throughout his free agency.

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

Maybe Chafin overestimated his value or the market underestimated his value, and at some point he just decided Arizona's deal was the best that he was going to get?  And by deal, I'm talking the combination of salary, team, role, off field, etc, with differing weights to each of those variables, with those weights ebbing and flowing in importance throughout his free agency.

I have no doubt that Chafin did get the best potential deal he could get. He's betting on himself to earn that team option vesting, and so far it looks like he's gonna do it, so good for him. But I would also bet he bolted when he saw the changes coming in the Tiger organization that he didn't like, and if that's true, I bid him godspeed and don't let the door. If it comes to a choice between remaking the Tigers organization versus one year of good middle relief from a guy, I'll take the former all day and twice on Sunday.

15 minutes ago, casimir said:

This is the likely answer.  I really doubt that some of his age and salary level would forego significant money to play for the Diamiondbacks.  

23 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

This is the likely answer.  I really doubt that some of his age and salary level would forego significant money to play for the Diamiondbacks.  

He was to make more significant money playing for the Tigers this year.

8 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

If a player is successful in a high percentage of opportunities to drive runners home, it would not be indicative of a clutch skill, but it migfht have some value in retrospect.  Baez has an RBI% (RBI/runners on base) of 15.43 which is 126th in baseball.