2024 NFL Draft

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Manu is safe based on his draft status.  I know they like Mahogany but he’s a 6th round pick and on good teams these guys have to beat someone to make the roster.  He’s going to have the advantage as they want to keep him but he’s going to have to play close to the level of Awosika for a spot on the roster (barring other injuries).    

We should have some decent depth on our practice squad.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

This gets me excited about the pick. 

I don't always trust Twitter. But when a random podcaster with 1500 followers reports an anonymous quote from a CFL executive that makes the pick who I had never heard of before yesterday sound promising? You're damn right I trust Twitter.

WalterFootball's ratings for those who care:

image.thumb.png.83d27913e5c5d6a570ad1853f31cd707.png

image.thumb.png.76cf7a379a7f6c33ed6f6c27dff43a79.png

image.thumb.png.c6ff6b331bd086034a5e2ef83a962c93.png

image.thumb.png.4cc2d70bfdf6d00a798b72bb6bf9adf4.png

The only team to receive an A+ was the Eagles. The Lions were one of four teams to receive an A, alongside the Colts, Bengals, and Ravens. On the other end of the spectrum, the Falcons received a Millen and the Vikings were the only team to receive a D.

RE: Manu pick. The guy doesn't get that Holmes wants a winning team more than once. Manu is exactly the kind of investment that a strong existing roster allows the luxury of. If he is a good player in 2 or 3 yrs, Holmes will be a genius again.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

RE: Manu pick. The guy doesn't get that Holmes wants a winning team more than once. Manu is exactly the kind of investment that a strong existing roster allows the luxury of. If he is a good player in 2 or 3 yrs, Holmes will be a genius again.

Agreed. And his counterpart in Charlie Campbell did not agree. I'm not sure who he would suggest they have taken in the 4th round to help them win a Super Bowl this year either. No one they were selecting that late was going to be a starter on the 2024 team.

for 2025 draft, Brad has his own pick in rounds 1, 2, 5, 7; TB's pick in round 6; and and Dallas' pick in round 7.

He also has one pick in round 4. Does anyone know if the 4th round pick sent to Philly in the Vaki trade was Detroit's or a return of the Eagles' pick (from the Swift trade)?

4 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

for 2025 draft, Brad has his own pick in rounds 1, 2, 5, 7; TB's pick in round 6; and and Dallas' pick in round 7.

He also has one pick in round 4. Does anyone know if the 4th round pick sent to Philly in the Vaki trade was Detroit's or a return of the Eagles' pick (from the Swift trade)?

The 4th was the Eagles 4th. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

This report says they view him as RG. Maybe if he works out at RG they would eventually kick him out to RT then move Sewell to LT. 

https://atozsports.com/detroit/if-this-guy-was-at-a-divsion-one-school-hed-be-a-first-round-draft-pick-get-to-know-new-lions-offensive-lineman-giovanni-manu/

2 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

This report says they view him as RG. Maybe if he works out at RG they would eventually kick him out to RT then move Sewell to LT. 

https://atozsports.com/detroit/if-this-guy-was-at-a-divsion-one-school-hed-be-a-first-round-draft-pick-get-to-know-new-lions-offensive-lineman-giovanni-manu/

Good find. That would make him the potential RG of the future, Mahogany the tentative LG, with some flexibility if it's not working (considering Glasglow is effectively signed through 2025), and leaves the door open to re-signing Decker. We will need to find a Center at some point, but if Ragnow stays healthy he is signed through 2026 (with an easy out after 2025).

If I had to guess though, they're going to play it slow with Manu. Let him develop and let his skills tell you what he can do. Hope you get a starting guard but if he's got the quickness, let yourself be surprised with a franchise tackle. If he needs more than a year and Zeitler leaves, maybe Mahogony can play RG in 2025, or you sign another one-year guard.

Story in the Vancouver paper about Manu getting picked.

https://vancouversun.com/sports/football/nfl/detroit-lions-ubc-thunderbirds-offensive-tackle-giovanni-manu-nfl-draft/wcm/9db0e8c4-f9f2-4e86-a025-2a9ba8a122f5

It was a hyped up Detroit Lions head coach who helped break the news to UBC Thunderbirds left tackle Giovanni Manu that he was Detroit’s fourth-round pick in Saturday’s NFL Draft. “I received the phone call and heard Dan Campbell yelling: ‘Are you ready to be a Lion?’ and the rest was history,” Manu, 23, explained via text message on Saturday. “The phone call is something I’ll never forget. I’ll forever remember this moment. It is life changing.”

Manu sees similarities between Campbell and Nill (note: the UBC coach). “They are the exact same in terms of football mentality and the way they approach the game of football — both love old-school football, which preaches hard, consistent work,” Manu relayed. “Both are from blue collar family backgrounds and I fit right into that type of mindset and approach to football.” Nill buys into that connection, too, saying that Manu “will be able to thrive in Coach Campbell’s culture, because that’s our culture.”

Edited by lordstanley

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Good find. That would make him the potential RG of the future, Mahogany the tentative LG, with some flexibility if it's not working (considering Glasglow is effectively signed through 2025), and leaves the door open to re-signing Decker. We will need to find a Center at some point, but if Ragnow stays healthy he is signed through 2026 (with an easy out after 2025).

If I had to guess though, they're going to play it slow with Manu. Let him develop and let his skills tell you what he can do. Hope you get a starting guard but if he's got the quickness, let yourself be surprised with a franchise tackle. If he needs more than a year and Zeitler leaves, maybe Mahogony can play RG in 2025, or you sign another one-year guard.

Can you imagine 6’7” 350 pulling across the formation with speed? He will block guys into another dimension. 

6 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I'd be really interested to see him play both O and D... but I kinda doubt it'll happen.

They did experiment with Malcolm Rodriguez at fullback. I think Vaki is going to challenge for RB3, kick returner, and special teams ace but I could see him getting defensive reps if they need them.