2024 NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions (14-5) @ San Francisco 49ers (13-5)

analytics said go for it both times.

josh reynolds: thank you for your service.  now see yourself out.

cjgj is gone.  walker will be gone.  jerry jacobs.  will harris.  theyre going to need an entirely new secondary.  i doubt cam sutton goes anywhere but - hopefully - to the second corner spot.

nothing in guaranteed.  the oline is the heart of the team and decker and ragnow are getting old.  jonah jackson likely isnt coming back.  glasgow is also a vet who is out of contract.  ragnow has been dealing with injuries all year long.

ben johnson is gone.  it doesnt look like glenn is going anywhere, but johnson leaving could be huge.  

you never know when you'll get breaks and win playoff games.  its sad they blew this game.

i would rather have had them just lose rather than blow a huge lead and have everyone talking about it.  besides, it got my hopes up that they might actually win.  and its the hope that kills you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, buddha said:

analytics said go for it both times.

josh reynolds: thank you for your service.  now see yourself out.

cjgj is gone.  walker will be gone.  jerry jacobs.  will harris.  theyre going to need an entirely new secondary.  i doubt cam sutton goes anywhere but - hopefully - to the second corner spot.

nothing in guaranteed.  the oline is the heart of the team and decker and ragnow are getting old.  jonah jackson likely isnt coming back.  glasgow is also a vet who is out of contract.  ragnow has been dealing with injuries all year long.

ben johnson is gone.  it doesnt look like glenn is going anywhere, but johnson leaving could be huge.  

you never know when you'll get breaks and win playoff games.  its sad they blew this game.

i would rather have had them just lose rather than blow a huge lead and have everyone talking about it.  besides, it got my hopes up that they might actually win.  and its the hope that kills you.

There is a glass is half full version of this.  We have all of our draft picks and ample cap space.  Players will want to come and be a part of this team.  And Brad Holmes making the moves, with an ownership willing to invest. Still much upside for our younger players, including LaPorta, Gibbs, Jamo (who showed up yesterday), Branch, Campbell, etc. Goff has the respect of his team and has now proven he can get teams to a conference championship game.

50 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

There is a glass is half full version of this.  We have all of our draft picks and ample cap space.  Players will want to come and be a part of this team.  And Brad Holmes making the moves, with an ownership willing to invest. Still much upside for our younger players, including LaPorta, Gibbs, Jamo (who showed up yesterday), Branch, Campbell, etc. Goff has the respect of his team and has now proven he can get teams to a conference championship game.

Gibbs TD was great.  His fumble was not.   

Huge concur on the culture attracting players.   The track record with this year's draft class has been amazing.   Now add in pieces.  

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

glass half empty:  a lot of that cap space goes to raises for their current players.  goff was 0-8 when pressured yesterday.  they dont have all their draft picks next year and pick low in the draft.

but i dont really want to play that game.  they had their best season in a half century and we should be happy we got to see it.

10 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Just because you go for it doesn't mean the 49ers are required to go right back down the field. The Lions gave up 27 points in that half. 

It's almost like Campbell knew that the defense (which has been questionable all year) wasn't going to hold a great team like the 49ers down for long... It's almost like he knew that needed TDs, not FGs to win it.

I don't expect the Lions to be aggressive in signing big time free agents. That doesn't seem to be their philosophy. Build through the draft and supplement through free agency. I would sign someone like Stephon Gillmore. He's old but still producing. One year contract while you draft and develop a young corner. I would even bring back Moseley. Non guaranteed contract and bring him to training camp and see if he can earn a spot. CJGJ, Branch and Melifonwu are all redundant. I probably wouldn't bring back CJGJ unless he comes on a cheap prove it deal. The Lions can save at least $5 million in cap space if they cut Walker so I think he's gone. Your starting safeties would be Melifonwu and Joseph with Branch as the hybrid. 

My random thoughts, for what they are worth as someone who didn't watch a lot of football for a long time until this year:

Going for it?  On one of them it would have worked if the ball was caught, which it looked like it should have.  I personally wanted the field goal because I figured at that point in the game you try to match point for point.  

The only time I let a "Wow, they might actually win this" was when they held SF to a field goal to start the third.

On the end zone play where the ball bounced off the face mask, a flag was thrown.  What was that?  I assume even if he'd have caught it they would have called PI?  Why did the ref throw it?  I mean.... would it have shocked you to have that called if the Lions caught it?

The one thing that really bugs me about all of this is the fans thinking "Well you gave back 6 points so that means the Lions would have won by 3".  Even I know that's not how it works.  The game would not have progressed the same way if they kick a field goal on 4th doan in the third.  The final TD would not have happened the way it did if they were within 7 points.  The defense plays a different game in that situation when it takes 2 scores to tie or win.

The other team wants to win too.  SF is good.  Their offense was pretty much doing what they wanted.  Even if the Lions had taken the points I can easily envision a scenario where SF marches down the field and scores a winning TD to close it out.  Remember SF missed a FG.

This is the team and coaches that made it this far.  

Do I think they blew it?  I guess so in the sense that in a playoff game that ends with a 3 point margin... the losing team probably blew it.  Every losing team in a close game can look at this or that play or decision as the difference. That's sports.   Yes it would be easier to stomach if the niners jumped to a huge lead and the Lions clawed back to fall short... but would that have been fun?  Is that why you are a fan?  

I just don't have time for armchair radio hosts second guessing the going for it decisions.   If they didn't go for it and lost by 3, they'd turn around and say crap like "You played a certain way all year then changed your mind and don't trust your players that got you there...."

This was fun and I hope you all are doing ok.  I haven't been this amped up for a sporting event since the 2013 ALCS and 2009 SCF.  I couldn't fall asleep.  I got up in 3:30 to go to the bathroom then started thinking about 2 dropped passes and 2 missed tackles...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

It's almost like Campbell knew that the defense (which has been questionable all year) wasn't going to hold a great team like the 49ers down for long... It's almost like he knew that needed TDs, not FGs to win it.

Plus the one midway through the 3rd would have shortened the game by a couple minutes or more. Reynolds makes that catch like he should have and even if the drive had stalled after that the Lions would have given the ball back up 17 (because now it would have been easy field goal range) with only 3-5 minutes left in the 3rd. Exactly like at halftime but now with 2/3 of the 3rd quarter burned. And the one in the 4th, instead of giving the ball back at best tied with 7 minutes to go, a conversion on 4th and 3 would have set up a chance at a TD to go up 4 with under 5 minutes to go. 

Campbell!’S worst call was running on 3rd and goal with a minute to go, forcing the Lions to use a timeout and taking a Niners 3 and out out of the equation. 

Edited by lordstanley

Oblong, all good points.   I slept pretty well, considering.   I have had sleepless nights over the Lions during the Mariucci, Bobby Ross and Fontes eras.  This team does not feel like that.  

I've got people here in Northern VA who are not Lions fans or Detroit ex-patriots coming up to me more upset about it than I am.  The cynical asshats are SOLing this.  I'm not.  

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

Plus the one midway through the 3rd would have been shortened by a couple minutes or more. Reynolds makes that catch like he should have and even if the drive had stalled after that the Lions would have given the ball back up 17 (because now it would have been easy field goal range) with only 3-5 minutes left in the 3rd. And the one in the 4th, instead of giving the ball back at best tied with 7 minutes to go, a conversion on 4th and 3 would have set up a chance at a TD to go up 4 with under 5 minutes to go. 

Campbell!’S worst call was running on 3rd and goal with a minute to go, forcing the Lions to use a timeout and taking a Niners 3 and out out of the equation. 

that was the worst call.  the two 4th downs are defensible.

i wouldnt bring cjgj back.  he wasnt very good when he played.  that might have been because of health but regardless, his play wasnt great.

they need a lot of secondary help.

secondary, iol, defensive end.

i would expect both okwara's gone (julian is already gone).  although maybe they keep romeo on a very cheap deal?  harris is gone.  houston is still cheap so he might stay, but the guy was on the bubble before he got hurt.  im not sure he's a long term answer.

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

On the end zone play where the ball bounced off the face mask, a flag was thrown.  What was that?  I assume even if he'd have caught it they would have called PI?  Why did the ref throw it?  I mean.... would it have shocked you to have that called if the Lions caught it?

I think the flag was thrown because it sorta looked like Offensive Pass Interference. This is when the receiver interferes with the defender being able to make an interception.

However, on the replay it seems like to me both players were playing the ball... that is they were going trying to make a catch on the ball. I think it was the right call to pick up the flag. Now, I would have loved to see the call stand because it would have helped the Lions, but I don't think there was interference there.

There was a play earlier in the game where I thought there was definitely OPI, but not on this one.

3 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I think the flag was thrown because it sorta looked like Offensive Pass Interference. This is when the receiver interferes with the defender being able to make an interception.

However, on the replay it seems like to me both players were playing the ball... that is they were going trying to make a catch on the ball. I think it was the right call to pick up the flag. Now, I would have loved to see the call stand because it would have helped the Lions, but I don't think there was interference there.

There was a play earlier in the game where I thought there was definitely OPI, but not on this one.

Ok.  I didn't get bent out of shape at the time over the "bad bounce" because my thinking was "Well if that didn't happen or if our guy caught it, they would have just called DPI so whatever... same result"

What it comes down to is this...do you trust Goff to make the right read and throw on 4th and 2 or do you trust Badgley to make the kick.

On the 1st one i have no quarrel...2nd one i tend to lean towards trying the FG...but Campbell knows Badgley...so...i don't think this loss is on Campbell. He made the same choices that have worked (mostly)all season