Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gozer said:

Living in Knoxville I can tell you that he is a much better passer than runner.  He can run/scramble but this not what made him SEC player of the year.  He is accurate and makes good decisions.  I say this lightly...like an Aaron Rodgers type.

I thought the scouting prospect analysis on Hooker was that he a bit like Goff but with better mobility: accurate, reads the field well, has some arm strength but not howitzer level like a Stafford, and some mobility whenever needed to make something out of broken plays. He had a mid-1st round grade but slipped due to age and the ACL. IIRC. If he's Lite or Super-Lite-Rodgers it's good enough for a backup... IMO.

Brilliant move by Holmes to draft him... and buddha was correct: he was available in the 3rd and we didn't need to use a 2nd round pick (which I was willing to spend on him) to get him...

Edited by 1984Echoes

Its kind of crazy to think about the Goff/Stafford trade now after three years.  I am pretty sure 99% of the people thought that trade was mainly for the draft picks (which it was the main reason but ended up being a lot more).  We were a rebuilding team that could take Goff's contract.  I don't think anyone thought Goff would be this good for us.  I think how everything laid out was perfect for him.  A big factor was we didn't end up with the #1 pick in the 2021 draft and there wasn't a quality QB in the 2022 draft.  Another big factor is if LA got an earlier draft pick than 6 in 2023.  Would we of traded, taken Anderson, or taken Stroud/Richardson?  Most thought he would be serviceable while we built up our team but he wouldn't be with us past his last contract.  He did get lucky that the Lions did a great job finding talent around him (especially a top 5 OL).  To his credit, he did exactly what he needed to do and drastically exceeded expectations.  How the story continues is going to be just as interesting.  Does he get us to a championship?

GB vs. Philly in Sao Paulo for week 1. Of course the Packers avoid the true road game in Philly and also get their international game the first week of the season which I imagine makes it easier since you wouldn't have played the week before. 

There aren't good options outside of the division. I've seen the Rams rumored on Thanksgiving but I can't remember the last time the Lions played a west coast team on Thanksgiving. That would be a 9:30 AM start time. That would rule out Seattle too. The other option would be Buffalo but the Lions recently had them on Thanksgiving. Then your options are Jacksonville, Tennessee and Tampa. I think the Tampa game could have been intriguing. 

39 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Not a fan of the early week 5 bye or playing the bears twice in 4 weeks.

Assuming it's correct, I agree on the early bye, and I wish we were playing the Bears earlier. I'd rather face Williams with less experience.

Posted (edited)

3 out of 4 home games with at Arizona sandwiched in between is a nice start to the schedule then comes the bye and straight into the meat grinder with road games against Dallas, Green Bay, Houston and Minny.  Playing Chicago with a more experienced Caleb late in the season isn't great but it doesn't matter much anymore, the Lions are now for the first time in....well.... forever are good enough to beat anybody anywhere under any circumstance.

Edited by NYLion

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Its kind of crazy to think about the Goff/Stafford trade now after three years.  I am pretty sure 99% of the people thought that trade was mainly for the draft picks (which it was the main reason but ended up being a lot more).  We were a rebuilding team that could take Goff's contract.  I don't think anyone thought Goff would be this good for us.  I think how everything laid out was perfect for him.  A big factor was we didn't end up with the #1 pick in the 2021 draft and there wasn't a quality QB in the 2022 draft.  Another big factor is if LA got an earlier draft pick than 6 in 2023.  Would we of traded, taken Anderson, or taken Stroud/Richardson?  Most thought he would be serviceable while we built up our team but he wouldn't be with us past his last contract.  He did get lucky that the Lions did a great job finding talent around him (especially a top 5 OL).  To his credit, he did exactly what he needed to do and drastically exceeded expectations.  How the story continues is going to be just as interesting.  Does he get us to a championship?

I can't think of a better sports trade for everyone involved.   Rams and Stafford got the Super Bowl they needed.  Lions got the draft capital that our GM knew how to use and started building and Goff got coaches who believe in him and coached to HIS strengths instead of forcing him to be what he's not.     Everyone won that trade.   That's pretty rare.