2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

if the Tigers bring in some young-ish forward thinking GM, that person will take one look at our roster and system and conclude that they cannot reasonably compete next year. And that they need some impact hitting prospects in the minors. Guys like Perez, Meadows, DIngler, etc. are nice but they have lower ceilings. They will have to trade some pitching to bring in position players that can hit and play defense.

I don't see any way around rebuilding some more and avoiding free agency for a year or two while we see if our young pitching can stay healthy and if we have any young position guys who can hit.

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Has to be a relative!

Edit: damn I just went to look if he had any siblings and I read about his brother dying from a line drive to the head. That's terrible, now I feel guilty about the joke.

I was wondering whether it was more a Mike Coolbaugh homage but Mike was never with the Orioles. 

4 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

if the Tigers bring in some young-ish forward thinking GM, that person will take one look at our roster and system and conclude that they cannot reasonably compete next year. And that they need some impact hitting prospects in the minors. Guys like Perez, Meadows, DIngler, etc. are nice but they have lower ceilings. They will have to trade some pitching to bring in position players that can hit and play defense.

I don't see any way around rebuilding some more and avoiding free agency for a year or two while we see if our young pitching can stay healthy and if we have any young position guys who can hit.

What pitcher do we have that could return even a single decent position player or prospect?

Sig Mejdal is the keynote speaker at the SABR conference here in Baltimore. He described how much or a self-imposed hole the Orioles were in: multiple 100-loss seasons, terrible farm system, no analytics, utilizing the best practices of the 80s. Sound familiar?

He said he and others were brought on board to overhaul and modernize their systems to start competing in 2018. They appear to start turning the corner this July of 2022. So perhaps that is telling us what our own timeline will be, and that’s dependent on whether we do it right in the first place. 

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Has to be a relative!

Edit: damn I just went to look if he had any siblings and I read about his brother dying from a line drive to the head. That's terrible, now I feel guilty about the joke.

I have almost posted on this before but didn’t. Now that you bring this tragedy to light..,

Before I retired I was a production supervisor in a facility that, like others, hired temporary workers to fill out positions in production that did not warrant a full time hire.  One of the temporary employees hired at our plant was the player that hit the foul ball that killed Mike Coolbaugh. 
Another supervisor, and a good friend of mine, was from Puerto Rico. He knew the player and his family personally. 
We had like a nine game pack for the Durham Bulls around 2016-2017?…not exactly sure. As it ended up, myself, my supervisor friend, and the ballplayer discussed attended a Bulls game together. The players name is Tito for short. He had his cousins, brother, and father at the game. Those boys could put away some beer. Every time they made a beer run they would buy me a beer because I provided all the tickets to get in. I actually spoke to Tito for a good part of the game we were attending about his life in the minor leagues. Never did the issue of Coolbaugh’s tragic death come up. He was a nice guy and his stories were very entertaining regarding his minor league career. Pretty sure he was a catcher. He was a genuinely nice guy. 

I’m sure everyone knows that this is where the mandate for batting helmets originated for base coaches.

Edited by 1776
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

So Skubal had flexor tendon surgery which Boyd had last September and is still yet to pitch since so if it's the same timetable looks like he'll be joining Mize on the season long IR next year. 

TBF, Boyd was originally expected to be ready at or before the ASB - his recovery has not gone as easily as hoped. We can take that as a good or bad omen for Skubal!

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

What pitcher do we have that could return even a single decent position player or prospect?

Yeah - the Tigs are in a weird situation. They have a lot of middling guys that have pitched decently in limited MLB auditions, but that were were not big prospects and still haven't proved much, while our top pitchers are all getting hurt. And TBH, if I were a GM looking at our system from the outside I'd have to be at least a little leery about any ranked pitcher that came through our system.

47 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - the Tigs are in a weird situation. They have a lot of middling guys that have pitched decently in limited MLB auditions, but that were were not big prospects and still haven't proved much, while our top pitchers are all getting hurt. And TBH, if I were a GM looking at our system from the outside I'd have to be at least a little leery about any ranked pitcher that came through our system.

The new top 100 just came out. Am I remembering correctly that Jobe was ranked somewhere in the 20s? He's ranked #41 on the new list. Jace Jung is 70-something. And that's it for Tigers in the Top 100.

Somewhat to your point, it is Pipeline, so I take the rankings with a bit of salt.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Manning, Breiske, Jobe and Flores. 

That’s the best value I think we have. Maybe make lateral trades to position players but as G2 said other GMs might think we have systemic issues 

1 minute ago, SoCalTiger said:

That’s the best value I think we have. Maybe make lateral trades to position players but as G2 said other GMs might think we have systemic issues 

Manning has a recent injury history and is not out of those woods yet. I don't see anyone giving us a plus position player for him.

Flores is a flyer not even Pipeline ranked, so we'd get a flyer position player in return, I'd think.

lol Brieske.

Jobe? Maybe. He's the most likely of your list, and I'd be cool with that as long as he's not considered an untouchable part of the next contending Tiger team in 2027.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Manning has a recent injury history and is not out of those woods yet. I don't see anyone giving us a plus position player for him.

Flores is a flyer not even Pipeline ranked, so we'd get a flyer position player in return, I'd think.

lol Brieske.

Jobe? Maybe. He's the most likely of your list, and I'd be cool with that as long as he's not considered an untouchable part of the next contending Tiger team in 2027.

So back to the drawing board.....what a mess

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

Switch out Madden for Brieske, and that's probably right.

In retrospect, it seems like the damage Avila inflicted on this organization is all of a sudden magnified. We knew it was bad but…it’s also like pulling back the bandage to realize how bad things really are. There is nothing that is not in need of repair in this organization. Bad.

Just now, SoCalTiger said:

So not much ?

Correct. Maybe you add Colt Keith or Izaac Pacheco to the list, although it's may not be smart to deal either of them either long term.

I do think Chas is a little harsh on Flores.... he doesn't show up on Pipeline, but does appear on other lists IIRC

3 minutes ago, 1776 said:

In retrospect, it seems like the damage Avila inflicted on this organization is all of a sudden magnified. We knew it was bad but…it’s also like pulling back the bandage to realize how bad things really are. There is nothing that is not in need of repair in this organization. Bad.

Is it surprising though? There have been countless conversations about their lack of depth here. I don't know that Avila's firing broke new ground.

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Is it surprising though? There have been countless conversations about their lack of depth here. I don't know that Avila's firing broke new ground.

No surprises, agreed. It was an obvious fiasco and had been discussed at length. It just seems like it goes from bad to worse on a daily basis. Should have canned Avila a long time ago.

Just now, 1776 said:

It just seems like it goes from bad to worse on a daily basis. 

I probably have a different view of it, but he is gone now and the organization can't change anything he did or the fact that they held on for too long. But the fact that he is gone engenders more hope than despair, even though the next year or two might come with frustrations.

Manning has thrown like 100 middling innings in an injury riddled career. 

The only pitchers I see having much value right now are Soto (someone will pay for saves) and Eduardo Rodriguez at next year's deadline if he has a good first half next season. 

Everyone else is injured, bad, or a middle reliever or minor leaguer 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Manning has thrown like 100 middling innings in an injury riddled career. 

The only pitchers I see having much value right now are Soto (someone will pay for saves) and Eduardo Rodriguez at next year's deadline if he has a good first half next season. 

Everyone else is injured, bad, or a middle reliever or minor leaguer 

I don't think Soto gets us a solid position player in return.

Eduardo Rodriguez might get us a return provided (1) the Tigers send eight figures in cash along with him to seal the deal; and (2) he will have to prove he can stay on the roster.