2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Correct. Maybe you add Colt Keith or Izaac Pacheco to the list, although it's may not be smart to deal either of them either long term.

I do think Chas is a little harsh on Flores.... he doesn't show up on Pipeline, but does appear on other lists IIRC

Unless you think Flores can return a solid starting position player—and if so I would ask you to explain how that would work—I don't think I'm being harsh at all by opining that the player he returns would be only as advanced as he is, which is unnumbered prospect.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Unless you think Flores can return a solid starting position player—and if so I would ask you to explain how that would work—I don't think I'm being harsh at all by opining that the player he returns would be only as advanced as he is, which is unnumbered prospect.

Depends on the list - he's unnumbered on Pipeline, but did crack BA's list.

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

Sig Mejdal is the keynote speaker at the SABR conference here in Baltimore. He described how much or a self-imposed hole the Orioles were in: multiple 100-loss seasons, terrible farm system, no analytics, utilizing the best practices of the 80s. Sound familiar?

He said he and others were brought on board to overhaul and modernize their systems to start competing in 2018. They appear to start turning the corner this July of 2022. So perhaps that is telling us what our own timeline will be, and that’s dependent on whether we do it right in the first place. 

I am not convinced that Baltimore's surge in wins this year is any sign that BAL has figured out development. 

Maybe thet have figured out development, but if they have, this year's Major League team performance doesnt seem like an indication of it.

Other than AR, who was a consensus pick, I am not aware of any starters this year who were drafted/developed by the current FO/org who has helped launched the Orioles to success this year relative to last year.

Edited by sabretooth

On 8/18/2022 at 3:13 PM, chasfh said:

I don't think Soto gets us a solid position player in return.

Eduardo Rodriguez might get us a return provided (1) the Tigers send eight figures in cash along with him to seal the deal; and (2) he will have to prove he can stay on the roster.

Yeah, that's why I threw the deadline caveat in there. Obviously his value is trash right now 

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Tigers sending Norris to the Pen. I will go out on a very short limb and predict it will be a pointless move as he will fail there again.

4 man rotation because of all the off-days. Don't need a 5th starter until September 3 (assuming full health, which is dumb). It makes sense.

In regards to the Tigers pitching injuries it seems like every day I watch a game and look at the news crawl at the bottom of the screen there is some pitcher throughout the league getting a TJ or various other surgeries so it appears to not just be a Tigers problem. Unfortunately for us it is top guys like Mize and Skubal getting the injuries instead of lesser players. 

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

4 man rotation because of all the off-days. Don't need a 5th starter until September 3 (assuming full health, which is dumb). It makes sense.

Norris' stuff in the last two games as a starter is better than T Alexanders, plus Tyler has proven he can be useful working in relief. They need to be in in evaluation mode with everyone. They already (should) know Norris will fail in the pen.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Because after 20+ years of Avila our systems are a complete mess

To that end, none of this seems particularly surprising. People will be enraged, as they should, but Al is now gone. 

The question is what, if anything, they (and presumably whoever they hire to replace Al) do to fix it.

58 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

To that end, none of this seems particularly surprising. People will be enraged, as they should, but Al is now gone. 

The question is what, if anything, they (and presumably whoever they hire to replace Al) do to fix it.

Yeah, what surprised me was to see people defending AA up to this year.

I defended up until the start of last year only cause I believed the stuff he was saying 5 years back about all the revamps they were making to the player development and analytical side of things and I wanted to give him a couple years to see how that transpired but when the only real breakout in the system was Skubal(in terms of being a legit top prospect) coupled with guys either being stagnant or going backwards I turned against him. There were other things that turned me against him as well but that was the major thing.  

29 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Yeah, what surprised me was to see people defending AA up to this year.

If the FO had been right about Schoop, Candelario, Castro, Barnhart, Grossman, Meadows, and Mize/Skubal/Faedo/Rodriguez don't go down, this might have been a successful year and it would have covered whatever issues there are in the org for more time. By the same token right now, as bad as things may be, they look even worse because this season has been such a perfect storm of disaster. But what has happened this season is a combination of misjudgment of talent or mismanagement of same. Either way the buck stopped with Al for those things. The only question left for me is whether mismanagement was significant and how much lies at Hinch's door. In the end I doubt it matters as I don't see Ilitch eating Hinch's contract at least through the next year.

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

In regards to the Tigers pitching injuries it seems like every day I watch a game and look at the news crawl at the bottom of the screen there is some pitcher throughout the league getting a TJ or various other surgeries so it appears to not just be a Tigers problem. Unfortunately for us it is top guys like Mize and Skubal getting the injuries instead of lesser players. 

steve stone was on the sox game talking about how so many pitchers are relying so heavily on sliders and that's why there have been so many injuries to pitchers.