2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

12 hours ago, casimir said:

Is the new league/division thing still a thing?  Back in the day of separate leagues with distinct umpire rosters and their strike zones, sure.  Back in the day with less player movement, sure.  Back in the day with more written scouting reports rather than readily available video, sure.

I would think adjusting to a new city/team/clubhouse is still a bit of a challenge for some players, especially mid season.  But I suspect the on field stuff should be a bit easier than in the past.  Or I could be way off, I don’t know.

IMHO, I agree with what you mentioned. There is also the fact that there was 'zero' in terms of and then later the beginning of inter-league play.

As you mentioned access to data has changed so much. Now most all clubs know so much more.

27 minutes ago, alex said:

IMHO, I agree with what you mentioned. There is also the fact that there was 'zero' in terms of and then later the beginning of inter-league play.

As you mentioned access to data has changed so much. Now most all clubs know so much more.

Well, the ability to know so much more is there.  I guess it depends on what/how information clubs use.

Interleague play is a good point.  I had forgotten about that.

Edited by casimir

I know for awhile the AL was viewed as the much superior league so when people brought up league changes that is what I figured they meant, it wasn't as drastic as say going from AAA to the big leagues but it was seen as at the very least a little bit of bump up that can take some time adjusting to.

I think in recent years though the NL may have leveled up a bit and that difference isn't as pronounced if at all. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

26 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know for awhile the AL was viewed as the much superior league so when people brought up league changes that is what I figured they meant, it wasn't as drastic as say going from AAA to the big leagues but it was seen as at the very least a little bit of bump up that can take some time adjusting to.

I think in recent years though the NL may have leveled up a bit and that difference isn't as pronounced if at all. 

The NL has caught up to the AL in interleague play and even took the lead in 2018-2019.  The AL seemed to regian dominance in 2021 winning 55.7% of interleague games but that looks like an anomaly as it's it is pretty even again this year.  

23 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Wasn’t it also a difference in pitch types- the more breaking balls vs fastballs, when looked at as a whole?

I think remember hearing that, too.

I also seem to vaguely remember a time when the home plate umpiring equipment, specifically the chest protector, was different between the leagues.  One league (NL?) was a bigger type of pillowy looking thing that was worn outside of the clothing.  The other league (AL?) may have also been worn outside of the shirt, but was much more compact looking.  Supposedly this required different stances, which led to different eye levels and the like, from league to league.

• Like 1

It sounds like at best ATL may have saw something they THOUGHT would fix him and had him try it, he by off chance had a couple good games afterwards and just figured he was all good and they identified and fixed his flaw.

That and with Robbie being a FA this year he may have felt it was in his best interest to throw the Tigers under the bus and pass the blame on to them. "Dont worry the only reason I sucked for most of the year was because I was with those incompetent bastards, get me away from them and I'll be fine."

26 minutes ago, kdog said:

I never had nor will I ever like interleague play.  I'd rather have the mystery of two teams never facing each other in the World Series with nothing to prepare themselves for the other team's strengths and weaknesses.  But I guess they can make more money this way.  

I don't care either way, of course I really didn't start becoming a regular baseball follower till 89-90 and by 97 or 98 they started interleague so the vast majority of my fandom came after it started so I was never too attached to the old days of only playing teams in your league