2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

31 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Swanson would be good, although his two best years were fueled by high BABIPs.  James Dansby Swanson might be a tough sign for the northern Tigers - born and raised in Georgia, College in Vanderbilt, drafted and developed by the Braves.    

Drafted by the Dbacks* 

33 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Are the Tigers jinxed? Or is it the energy of a pennant race that makes the player performance better?

Grossman was always a pretty decent player.  And yeah, I think you take a guy from the depths of hell (2022 Tigers) to Elysium (2022 Braves) and he's gonna feel it.  

25 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

He's hitting better than Schoop and will only cost the league minimum.  

I'm all for bridging the gap to the next 2Bman, but I'd like to see them take a flier on someone younger who at least has some chance to turn into a long-term solution or perhaps a backup. 

Andrus (or anyone else in baseball for that matter) might be better than Schoop might be for the balance of this year and next, but he has exactly zero chance to be a good player of any kind again.

We have to use our options wisely, and Andrus ain't it IMO.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Swanson AND Inciarte who had a few solid seasons for ATL for Shelby Miller. Look questionable at best for the Dbacks at the time, looks horrendous in hindsight. 

Swanson would command a lot of $$$ due to his recent performance level and scarcity, but based on his career he probably projects out to an average SS....basically he's turned out to be the Brandon Inge of SS without the great glove.

I'd prefer him over Schoop but that's not saying much.

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

I could see him getting close to $20 million/year as well.  I'd like to see them get someone like Isiah Kiner-Falefa, who the Yankees got last year.  But they'll likely have to make a trade, as I don't see anyone on the FA market that fits the bill.  They're either really expensive (Swanson, Turner, Correa, Bogaerts) or washed up/utility players.  

I could see Oakland not picking up Elvis Andrus' option, but his defense has really gone south.  

If they really want to rid themselves of Schoop, they either have to spend a lot of money or go the trade route.  

Kiner-Falefa is a pretty good utility player, basically he's the Victor Reyes of the IF -- versatile, always with an 85 OPS+, predictable, below-average in almost every way. 

The only difference is that Kiner-Falefa has put up good defensive numbers whereas Reyes, despite passing the eyeball test, always seems to be below average on defensive metrics.

Anyhoo, the next GM had better be counted on to get guys like Reyes and Kiner-Falefa to fill out the roster, sure, but his main job has got to be to find above average everyday players and get this team in the winning column.  That may not come from high-priced FAs, but he'd better find it somewhere.

30 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I'm all for bridging the gap to the next 2Bman, but I'd like to see them take a flier on someone younger who at least has some chance to turn into a long-term solution or perhaps a backup. 

Andrus (or anyone else in baseball for that matter) might be better than Schoop might be for the balance of this year and next, but he has exactly zero chance to be a good player of any kind again.

We have to use our options wisely, and Andrus ain't it IMO.

The fact that he's available now and cheap makes him an attractive option.  Sure, ideally I'd want a 27-29 year old all-star, but I don't think that's gonna happen.  They could cut Candelario now and plug Andrus in there and immediately be better.  He could easily be a good fit for the bench if nothing else.  

I want to move on from some of these players and this could be a good place to start.  Of course he isn't going to be a long-term option, but I don't think either Schoop or Candelario are long-term options either.  

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

The fact that he's available now and cheap makes him an attractive option.  Sure, ideally I'd want a 27-29 year old all-star, but I don't think that's gonna happen.  They could cut Candelario now and plug Andrus in there and immediately be better.  He could easily be a good fit for the bench if nothing else.  

I want to move on from some of these players and this could be a good place to start.  Of course he isn't going to be a long-term option, but I don't think either Schoop or Candelario are long-term options either.  

I'd take anyone that a good new GM feels has a chance to be a useful player going forward, and it can be for a 2 or 3 years, doesn't have to be long-term.  Also doesn't have to be an all-star or any particular age bracket.

Andrus doesn't really check any of the boxes for us at this point.  If he was 7 years younger he might be a decent bench option, but he's not.

If Candelario and/or Schoop were on other teams and a new GM wanted to bring one or both in as gap-fillers for a 1-year contract, I probably wouldn't be opposed, but I wouldn't be excited.  That's where I am now....I wouldn't mind getting rid of them, and I'm not going to be upset if they are still around for one more year.

They will both be in their 30's by the end of 2023 and both look like they are heading for oblivion.  Maybe one of both of them "find it" again for a year or two, that's what you hope for. 

The difference between Andrus and Schoop/Candy is that Schoop/Candy both had really nice years in 2021, and thus are only a "moment" removed from recent success.  Schoop/Candy have at least recently demonstrated that they might be good everyday players in 2023.

Andrus might be a better player in 2023, but that is **only** if Schoop/Candy are absolutely terrible, and if that's the case, I'd rather have someone taking their place in 2023 that could have a chance to be a part of things after 2023.

51 minutes ago, Hart said:

I always loved Andrus.  I doubt he has a resurgence in him at this point in his career but I would love to see him in a Tigers uniform to find out.  

NOPE.

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

The difference between Andrus and Schoop/Candy is that Schoop/Candy both had really nice years in 2021, and thus are only a "moment" removed from recent success.  Schoop/Candy have at least recently demonstrated that they might be good everyday players in 2023.

Andrus might be a better player in 2023, but that is **only** if Schoop/Candy are absolutely terrible, and if that's the case, I'd rather have someone taking their place in 2023 that could have a chance to be a part of things after 2023.

YEP.

Schoop and Candy are the "stopgaps". Not Andrus. They can be traded next deadline for a "bag of balls", or if they recover some value then, maybe more than just a "bob"... And then Kreidler, Clemens and Wenceel Perez become the stopgaps. Or maybe one of them sticks as a starter if they perform well enough. We'll see.

Book it.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Somewhere here at the SABR convention is a fan of his coaching work 

DF814397-79C7-4A73-9E82-3C20CE4A5F8A.thumb.jpeg.556d229a8b68795afe67209710184b8a.jpeg

Has to be a relative!

Edit: damn I just went to look if he had any siblings and I read about his brother dying from a line drive to the head. That's terrible, now I feel guilty about the joke.

Edited by RandyMarsh