2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

Listened to Friday's episode of The Athletic podcast which talked about the rebuilds of three different teams (Tigers, Athletics, Royals).

What I found interesting is that when they interviewed the Athletic beat writer for the Royals and was asked about Bobby Witt, he detailed how the turnaround in his performance is closely aligned with their dismissal of Terry Bradshaw as head coach.

Won't happen till the end of the year, but "Cooley" maybe needs to go.

If the new GM allows Cabrera to be on this team in 2023, then he'll be no better than Avila.  I don't care how good he was in his prime. the objective is to field the best 26 players, and Cabrera just isn't one of them anymore.  No player should ever be in position to determine his roster position and playing time.  If management allows that, then they have completely lost control of the clubhouse. 

The Tigers need a clean slate.  A new GM, manager/coaching staff, scouting, player development, etc.  Sure, they may mean getting rid of a few good coaches, but everyone is replaceable.  This could be 2002 all over again, when they fired Randy Smith and Phil Garner.  The Tigers could be back in the playoffs in 3-4 years, but they need to make changes and get the right people in the right positions.

22 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

If the new GM allows Cabrera to be on this team in 2023, then he'll be no better than Avila.  I don't care how good he was in his prime. the objective is to field the best 26 players, and Cabrera just isn't one of them anymore.  No player should ever be in position to determine his roster position and playing time.  If management allows that, then they have completely lost control of the clubhouse. 

Cody Stavenhagen made that point on his podcast this AM.... if they want even a chance of next season not to be a complete wash, the next GM is gonna have to have the conversation. I think we all assume next season will be a wash regardless, but I would hope this team and it's management doesn't treat it like one.

There will be reasonably cheap options on the market to get better production at the position should they want to get one.

You can't run Miggy out there next year...he's shot.  If he insists on coming back...stick him on the 60 day DL...his knee appears to be made of wet cardboard now, so I think it will be viewed as legit.  If he plays along nice, bring him back in Sept for a farewell tour.  If he starts griping...bring off the DL and DFA him.

The most depressing aspect re this team....Harold Castro and Riley Greene are the only two position players I would want to play next year.  The rest...including Baez...can hit the tape

If the Tigers are going to roll out a 70 or less win team next year, which it looks like they will, having Miggy on the team is less of an issue. I wouldn't keep him, but I can see the team wanting to sell tickets and if he is blocking at bats from Haase or Harold Castro what does it matter.

Ive seen some people talk about the positive effect Miggy might have on ticket sales and I just don't buy it. Yes he did when he was chasing milestones but now that those are all gone I don't see many people buying tickets to see him. 

You probably could get a good turnout for his final series if advertised but really how much does 3 games worth of extra ticket sales really effect the bottom line in the grand scheme of things? 

58 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

You can't run Miggy out there next year...he's shot.  If he insists on coming back...stick him on the 60 day DL...his knee appears to be made of wet cardboard now, so I think it will be viewed as legit.  If he plays along nice, bring him back in Sept for a farewell tour.  If he starts griping...bring off the DL and DFA him.

The most depressing aspect re this team....Harold Castro and Riley Greene are the only two position players I would want to play next year.  The rest...including Baez...can hit the tape

I don't want Castro playing much next year either.  He can hit a little bit and play mutiple positions, but he is not a good fielder and not good enough offensively to overcome that.  200 plate appearances max for him.  

I see Lynn's  in a positive mood today,  nothing but sunshine and blue skies ahead for the Tigers going by his tweets. 

I give it a couple days until he responds with a "doom and gloom" day, he's bipolar with the Tigers like that. One day it's nothing but positive things, the next its doomsday for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Ive seen some people talk about the positive effect Miggy might have on ticket sales and I just don't buy it. Yes he did when he was chasing milestones but now that those are all gone I don't see many people buying tickets to see him. 

You probably could get a good turnout for his final series if advertised but really how much does 3 games worth of extra ticket sales really effect the bottom line in the grand scheme of things? 

Imagine what the attendance could be with a good team.....

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Imagine what the attendance could be with a good team.....

Well, let’s nip any irrational exuberance right in the bud. 

Myself, I don’t see either Schoop or Candelario’s bats coming back. I don’t see either Castro being any better. Catcher is still not going to generate offense. Baez I’m 50/50 on whether I think he’s likely to rebound. Even in a best case scenario where Greene, Baddoo and Torkelson all contribute next season, they still need a ton of new players. More than one offseason is likely to yield. 

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Myself, I don’t see either Schoop or Candelario’s bats coming back. I don’t see either Castro being any better. Catcher is still not going to generate offense. Baez I’m 50/50 on whether I think he’s likely to rebound. Even in a best case scenario where Greene, Baddoo and Torkelson all contribute next season, they still need a ton of new players. More than one offseason is likely to yield. 

Schoop has one year left on his deal.  He's got enough of a track record I'd bring him back with the idea that a bounce back is a good possibility and Wenceel Perez is waiting in the wings.  If the first month goes poorly next year or Clemens has a big spring training, then maybe that would be the time to cut bait.

Candelario is the biggest disappointment this year in my opinion.  Seemed like he might be the answer long term going into the season.  We could probably get a throw away prospect for him and maybe you take that.   

I hope the Tigers spend some money but even with that, there are going to be some positions we have to bring back our own guys.  

Per "MLB Trade Rumors " . Same Doctor Skubal is seeing today and likely the same result...:(

The Dodgers announced Monday that right-hander Walker Buehler will undergo season-ending surgery on his right elbow on Aug. 23. He’s been out since June 10 after being diagnosed with a Grade 2 flexor strain. Fabian Ardaya of The Athletic tweets that Buehler’s recent MRIs weren’t conclusive enough to determine the extent of the damage in his elbow, but Dr. Neal ElAttrache saw enough to recommend surgery. 

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If I'm the new Tigers GM, I think...

1) The first thing I do is "retire" Miggy. Pay him his $40 Mill and have him sit in the dugout and wave at the fans. Or... whatever he wants to do aside from actually playing. I want the DH spot, and the 40-man spot so I can sift through a boatload of guys to see what sticks. And it may be as simple s sticking Austin meadows there and living with that...

2) Second: Probably nothing.

3) Because... I want a year to see what I really got... no sense in pretending that I can "fill every hole" in one off-season.

4) So... Concerning Schoop and Candy: who are just "playing out the string" as far as I can see. Unlike you, I think both will come back next year (meaning, their bats). BUT... I think that is all relative... Meaning however much their bats DO come back - I don't think that will be to the #'s they put up in 2021... but something in-between 2021 and 2022 #'s... - doesn't matter anyways. They are both "place-holders" at this point. So here's what I DO next year: Schoop and Candy are both deadline trade guys, period. Maybe even this offseason, although I doubt they have any value this year; although, again, I doubt their value improves by the deadline either as at that point they are only rentals anyways. BUT: I want to see if Clemens can steal one of their jobs next ST... But even if not, I'm going to put him at 3rd once I trade Candy. IMO, better to give him lots of starts, at both 2B and 3B, prior to the deadline.

5) I need a serious organizational understanding of Wenceel Perez and Colt Keith. Does Wenceel make Toledo this year? Just a guess but.. I'm thinking Wenceel breaks into MLB next year. Before or after the Deadline I couldn't say. But, I'm guessing he's our new 2B at the very least after Schoop is traded at the deadline. I wonder who he can be in MLB (I Mean, aside from being Wenceel Perez... who is he as  player? I'm hoping for more than just a Ramon Santiago...). Colt Keith is a different story. He'll be 22 before he gets back to playing, and hasn't reached AA yet (although that might be unfair as it looked like he was heading there this year without the injury...). But if he's in AA next year and looks like our 3B'man of the future... Does Kody suffice as a placeholder for another couple years (2023/24)? Does the Org wait on Keith? I'd want to have an evaluation.

6) Gotta hope/ depend on Greene and Tork acclimating to MLB pitching and becoming much better players. Also, gotta count on Baez performing better as well. At least i am in 2023 until I see different.

7) Jake Rogers should be back next year... but that still holds a lot of uncertainty. How's his arm after TJ? Does he still have some pop in his bat? If he can be a good D Catcher, including getting his throwing arm back, and hit .240-.250-ish, and pop some HR's (he's shown he has power, but after TJ? and still not really proven in MLB)... He would be enough. But I'm evaluating him, and I want an Org evaluation of Dingler as well, same as Wenceel and Keith.

8  ) Pitching... I'm using 2023 to see who can get, and stay, healthy. And who can pitch in MLB. The cast is endless. But the survivors and thrivers out of all of these pitchers.. who knows? I want to use 2023 to evaluate, see some progress (hopefully) on both the health and learning curve fronts... before I start making plans on who to keep, who to trade/ discard/ replace, etc... I can count on Eduardo and Manning as starters at this point? AND...? Skubal (if healthy), Brieske (if healthy), Turnbull (if he comes back healthy and effective)? So many unknowns here. Gotta resolve. Faedo? Starter or BP? I think Faedo would be more effective out of the BP but... that's just me.

9) I left the OF'ers for last. Greene, for sure. Kerry is tossing his cap into the ring. Baddoo needs to capitalize on this chance. or maybe he just needs some more AAA time? Daz will be close to his last chance, but I don't see him being tossed to the curb yet... just yet. Austin probably needs to DH. Reyes will still be useful as a 4th/ 5th but he's also running out of time (will be too expensive for what he provides; which is... not much).

Just a few thoughts there on next year's roster... I think, mostly, more of the same. It will be offseason 2023/24 where a lot of changes get made... I'm thinking. I may be wrong however...

PS: I spilled Dr. Pepper all over my keyboard a few days ago so my "A" key is sticking badly, my shift key and sometimes control and Z and X keys re sticking badly...

So my typing is not getting worse (well, maybe it is...); but it looks like my keyboard is just about shot and I should probably get a new computer to replace this archaic Neanderthal that I have right now...

Please don't mind the crappy typos as I'm blaming it all on the keyboard...

You don't even want to see a post prior to my editing/ fixing most of it... it's pretty ugly.

Van Wagenen is closest to Tigers manager A.J. Hinch, who will assist Ilitch throughout the hiring process but isn't expected to determine his boss. They were roommates at Stanford, and Van Wagenen — the former New York Mets general manager — was the best man at Hinch’s wedding.

Van Wagenen, though, is not interested joining the Tigers.

Brandon Gomes, the Los Angeles Dodgers’ executive vice president and general manager, is second-in-command to president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman. In January 2022, the Dodgers promoted Gomes to his current role after reportedly denying the Mets permission to interview him for their general manager opening.

Gomes is not interested in leaving the Dodgers.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2022/08/16/detroit-tigers-gm-search-potential-external-candidates-make-sense/10333135002/