2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

7 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If we think AJ is a flawed manager, I don’t want to fix it by moving him to the front office.  That’s classic corporate America.

I’m in the camp of going external for a GM and let that individual determine who is the best manager.

After watching the Whitaker ceremony, and Avila and Ilitch’s muted roles, I’m feeling better that a change is coming.  They aren’t oblivious to what fan sentiment is—getting rid of Avila allows Ilitch to start to restore his public persona, if that matters to him.  If you’ll recall, Mike was a pariah for a while, but he was able to turn that around, starting with bringing Dombrowski in and opening up his wallet. Of course, winning ultimately fixes everything.

I don't agree that it is classic corporate America to move the floor leader up to the front office to become the operations executive. That strikes me as very unusual, like directly promoting a master sergeant to be the commanding officer of an army division. Baseball is different from a widget company, of course, but I don't see it as being a classic corporate move.

I also wouldn't think of it as anything akin to a lazy move (my words) to appoint Hinch as GM in this specific case. I actually think it would be quite bold since it is well-accepted that AJ's approach to organization-building would be quite different from Al's, at least historically. I also think that from a practical standpoint, it might be preferable to promote Hinch over Menzin or Sartori. since AJ does have decades in the game on multiple levels, including pre-existing relationships, which the other two might not have given their rise in the game strictly through the analytics department.

I'm not saying I definitely want AJGM over any other alternative, and looking outside the organization, especially among target front offices like the Dodgers or Rays, would probably be the better move. But given the likelihood, based on history, that Al's replacement will come from inside the house, I think a case could be made that AJ would be the best choice among the four likeliest candidates.

i dont think we need a change of manager, i think we need a new gm.

that said, if you bring in someone from another organization that likely means a new field manager too.  as much as i think hinch ks a good manager, its much more important to get the gm right and if we have to sacrifice aj to get that done, so be it.

AJ's been on the whole a big positive for this franchise IMO. But he's not perfect or above questioning either, and when the team is 24 games under .500 one week into August, the mistakes tend to get amplified and noticed more.

I will say that I think he's a unique enough figure and someone who understands the front office side enough that there's a decent shot he survives regime change even in the event of an outside hire. Wouldn't be surprised if he was part of the discussion in terms of making the decision, tbh.

Silly column about Soto by McCosky yesterday. Talk about missing the forest for the trees. There is only one issue with Soto - can he find his slider? If he can't, he's not going to be successful and of course will fall out of the closer role. If he does, none of the statistical fall off litany McCosky catalogs means anything, because it is all because he can't throw his slider consistently this season. 

But I suppose if you get paid by the word, then:

"Soto is toast if he can't find his breaking pitch consistently"

isn't going to pay the bills even if it's all that need be said.

Edited by gehringer_2