2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

Castro too.

I don't see enough Tigers games to know differences between Haase & Harold (in "gritty" factors...); I just have seen enough of Baddoo that I think he kicks ass when he's on.

Hasn't been on this year though... so the door is open...

and I guess Haase was the one who walked through that door...

3 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Is any position player guaranteed a spot next year? I would say Haase deserves a back up catcher role. That's about it. Depending on who can be added to the mix, I wouldn't guarantee any position to anyone at this point.

Baez- contract

Greene - he is good

Tork - maybe

Nobody else.

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

Baez- contract

Greene - he is good

Tork - maybe

Nobody else.

For Baez, I wouldn't say he's definitely our shortstop. If they sign someone better I would move him off short. Greene, I'm not sure if he stays in center. The dives and running plays look good but how long can he maintain that before it takes a toll on his body. With him and Tork, they could both end up at AAA to start.

36 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

For Baez, I wouldn't say he's definitely our shortstop. If they sign someone better I would move him off short. Greene, I'm not sure if he stays in center. The dives and running plays look good but how long can he maintain that before it takes a toll on his body. With him and Tork, they could both end up at AAA to start.

Riley Greene is 21. I think it’ll be a few years before he ages out of center field.

1 hour ago, Tigermojo said:

Despit his throwing problems, Baseball Savant still has Baez at +3 outs above average.  

EDIT: The OAA stat only measures range.  

Edited by Tiger337

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Despit his throwing problems, Baseball Savant still has Baez at +3 outs above average.  

EDIT: The OAA stat only measures range.  

No doubt he's the best option now but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a better option in the off season. Especially considering the uncertainty of his opt out and his offense has not been up to his career averages.

The best we could have hoped was that Javy's terrible start was league/pitcher adjustment - and in June it looked like that might be the case as he came back with an 808 OPS. But he's fallen back to 672 for July, which could end up as acceptable variation *if* he get backs over 700 in Aug/Sept. If not it's the beginning of a bad finish.

Edited by gehringer_2

Sadly the Emporer has no clothes and we aren't fixing this train wreck in one season nor reaching .500 plus without some players returning to their career norms in 2023. If Baez , Meadows and Schoop revert to norms and Greene and Tork gain their footing that would be a real good start.  With Miggy retiring Meadows can DH often. DFA Candy and cut bait with the Castros. Haas as one catcher. That leaves us with 3B, catcher, two outfielders and a starter to pick up in the off season. Maybe roll with Rogers at catcher. Then maybe by 2024 some minor league position players can emerge such as Kreidler and Dingler.

Or they go big and try for Correa again and move Baez to 3rd in 2023 and to second in 2024 after Schoop is gone. 

it's a mess for sure but there are potentially some pieces to work with including a decent pitching staff that has proven to be resilient under Fetter.

I said it in the game thread regarding Cabrera's knee and the games off that he will get while remaining on the active roster and I'll repeat it here:

Why not just put Cabrera on the IL?  His only purpose is to hit and he doesn't do that well enough to hold a roster spot for him if he's physically unavailable.  I understand there aren't many bats on the 40 to call up to replace him, but they're limiting their bench opportunities.  This is a chance to bring someone up and give them a look to determine if they're worthy of consideration for 2023.  Its completely asinine and irresponsible roster management.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

No doubt he's the best option now but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a better option in the off season. Especially considering the uncertainty of his opt out and his offense has not been up to his career averages.

Shortstop is the strongest free agent position again this off-season, so it would make some sense.  

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The best we could have hoped was that Javy's terrible start was league/pitcher adjustment - and in June it looked like that might be the case as he came back with an 808 OPS. But he's fallen back to 672 for July, which could end up as acceptable variation *if* he get backs over 700 in Aug/Sept. If not it's the beginning of a bad finish.

Since June 16 Javy is .267/.310/.491 in 174 PA with a 124 wRC+. Depends some on where you start your start point.

He still hasn’t had his big third-of-a-season 1.000 OPS run yet, and when he flails he still looks bad, which he always will. But even with this modest run, he is arguably the best hitter on that team since that date, and bonus: his 21.3% strikeout rate is third-lowest on the team of anyone with at least 50 plate appearances, behind only Miggy and Harold. (Highest is Eric Haase at almost 30%.)

He could either go big on the way out, or flail helplessly. He’s certainly capable of both. No predictions. But for the last seven or so weeks, he is the tallest dwarf in this circus. 

If Al happens to actually get fired after this season, what kind of package/players would the new GM have to put together to trade Javy away?  No way in hell would any sane GM want to be tied to the league error leader, who also cant hit a slider, for the next 5 years.

The dream scenario is we get a better SS this offseason and move Javy to 2nd where I think he would excel at since it seems like his biggest problem has been his throwing. 

Its a long shot though since I don't see Chris opening up his wallet again so the best bet of that happening would probably come from somebody within like Kriedler taking the job.

12 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

You never know for 2023. If they find another shortstop or even someone in house (ex RKreidler) they can then 'move' Javy to 2B. If he does 'not' like that - then he can opt out if he likes after 2023.

Perhaps Javy can make an adjustment and/or a more focused/mental approach change and also there will be less shifting so more of a true SS positioning is equated there as well and he gets to his norm. He is talented. He may have focus restraints in the field just like at the plate with all the off the strike-zone sliders he chases.

IMHO, maybe Javy could also be a 2B (or even 3B) in the future...

Edited by alex

11 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The dream scenario is we get a better SS this offseason and move Javy to 2nd where I think he would excel at since it seems like his biggest problem has been his throwing. 

Its a long shot though since I don't see Chris opening up his wallet again so the best bet of that happening would probably come from somebody within like Kriedler taking the job.

I don't know that this is the case really.... particularly if they work out some sort of salary deferment of buyout of Miggy.

Yeah, I don’t know how Javy would take a move to second base. He has played second before and done decently at it. He played second just last year in Queens, albeit mediocrely, but he also went there respectfully because of his buddy Lindor, who was already the incumbent at short, as opposed to bumping him over for a relatively-unheralded rookie. It could go either way with him, so it would be a testament to Hinch if he could get him move over quietly, which really, they may not even try to, since they signed him specifically to be our shortstop.

As for Miggy, maybe the Tigers can structure a Bobby Bonilla-type payout: instead of paying him $32 million next year, maybe they start paying him, I don’t know, let’s say, $5 million a year from 2028-2050. Something like that. That frees up payroll from the next few years, then the Tigers can pay him out of the pile of money they’ll have from all the championships they win. 😏

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, I don’t know how Javy would take a move to second base. He has played second before and done decently at it. He played second just last year in Queens, albeit mediocrely, but he also went there respectfully because of his buddy Lindor, who was already the incumbent at short, as opposed to bumping him over for a relatively-unheralded rookie. It could go either way with him, so it would be a testament to Hinch if he could get him move over quietly, which really, they may not even try to, since they signed him specifically to be our shortstop.

The other problem is Jonathan Schoop - in all likelihood, he's accepting his player option and coming back next year. I doubt they are going to eat his salary under any circumstances.

30 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The other problem is Jonathan Schoop - in all likelihood, he's accepting his player option and coming back next year. I doubt they are going to eat his salary under any circumstances.

Good point.  That will likely be the middle infield next year.  I think Schoop will bounce back next year.  Some players drop off a cliff when they hit 30, but it seems like that is usually accompanied by injuries and declining defense which definitely hasn't been his problem.  Without doing any research, losing it offensively without losing anything defensively seems atypical.   

Edited by Tiger337