2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

They'll probably just put Cabrera on the 60 day DL next year and pay him that way. It would be similar to what the Wings did with Zetterberg at the end of his career. I'd guess the Tigers would then get some money relief through insurance this way?

Either way, I kind of doubt Illitch is going to open up the pocket book this offseason given what happened this past offseason with the Baez and Rodriguez deals. Any improvement will have to be internal or through trades or small FA signings.

I've talked myself into thinking the Tigers are going to "promote" Avila to some figure head position and then recruit Will Rhymes to be the new GM and overhaul player development throughout the organization and also better intertwine the scouting department with player development. That has been his main task with the Dodgers. He has a lot of connections with the Tigers, and he's kind of stuck with where he is with the Dodgers with no chance of advancement given the ages of the execs ahead of him. It's also a big leap to go from a director of player development to running an organization, but that's probably the best case scenario of someone the Tigers would be able to recruit here at this point.

Edited by Scottwood

33 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Oh I was on the bandwagon to part ways with him last year.

I'm ready to move on and try out new guys like Isaac Paredes (whoops, too late!), Kerry Carpenter, Austin Meadows, and/ or whoever else we can drop into that spot just to see if anything sticks. Starting last year...

I was going to say "what's the point of stringing out Miggy's time in MLB, he's done for..."

But like I said, I was ready last year and was outvoted so that he could hit his milestones. And I'm glad I switched trains and jumped on board with the milestones... And I probably was ready also, like you say, right after he got his 3,000 to move on... but I can wait for the offseason.

But it is time to move on. Before he embarrasses himself.

It was pretty hysterical though to read that "there's NO POSSIBLE REASON WHATSOEVER that he will retire before the 2023 season..." because, like I said...

I can think of a few.

There is absolutely no one here who ever WANTED him to play next year.  We were just saying that that was the most likely outcome and that there was nothing that anyone could do to force him out.  And that is still 100% correct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

If that means staying in the lineup until it hurts the team badly enough that they agree to put on the 60 day through 2023 (or DFA) that's probably what makes most sense for him to do.

I definitely think it will be an amiable parting. I don't think the organization wants conflict or drama over his retirement/leaving.  Cabrera isn't going to play after his contract is over and there isn't any other team that would pick him up.  He can't get around on fastballs anymore and doesn't hit the ball with any authority.  But with the Tigers not being a serious playoff contender next year, maybe the FO doesn't care about his performance.  At worst, I think they talk him into retiring at the All Star break if he is really struggling.  

Edited by gkelly

27 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

That hasn't been determined yet.

Until he's on the 26 next April 1st, it's all just...

talk.

By all sides.

I think the default assumption is that someone owed $30 million dollars will play and get payed.  Anything else would be an upset.  

11 minutes ago, casimir said:

Is it going to be weird seeing Cabrera on the 60 day IL all next season but still get a plate appearance in the all star game?

it'll be weird that a guy who has been on the IL most of the season will still be leading the tigers in most hitting categories...

20 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think the default assumption is that someone owed $30 million dollars will play and get payed.  Anything else would be an upset.  

Definitely.  The only way he does not play is if he and he alone decides not to.  Otherwise, there is nothing Ilitch or Avila can do about it except pay him the full amount and release him, regardless of how many essays are written about negotiating a settlement.

41 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Definitely.  The only way he does not play is if he and he alone decides not to.  Otherwise, there is nothing Ilitch or Avila can do about it except pay him the full amount and release him, regardless of how many essays are written about negotiating a settlement.

This is where I think you are missing something...

The FO is perfectly in their rights to send him home and tell him he's not playing for the Tigers in 2023. They pay him $40 Mill regardless of whether he plays or not. But you're making the assumption that Miggy can FORCE the team to put him on the opening 26? Can FORCE the team to play him?

That's just not true.

I do wonder how Cabrera would fair if he was on a contender, the type of team where he would essentially be a bench bat or start maybe a game or two a week? His empty BA wouldn't look so bad on a team that has a lot of guys on base so all those singles don't go to waste. Unfortunately for him he provides no value on defense or on the basepaths so I don't know if a team would be willing to waste a roster spot on just somebody that does that.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Obviously he feels better today than a couple of days ago. I'll go back to what I said previously - his mood and intentions are going to be variable with his health so I would not be surprised by a lot of confusing signals from Cabrera's camp going forward.

However, two things are true regardless: 1)It is not the Tigers' choice to pay the money, they are on the hook. The only way out for the Tigers would for be Cabrera to officially file his retirement early, and you know that isn't happening. 2) It is the Tigers' choice whether he plays for them. If he is too much of a liability for what they think they are doing next season, they can IL him (with his agreement) or DFA him (without his agreement).

Edited by gehringer_2

43 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

This is where I think you are missing something...

The FO is perfectly in their rights to send him home and tell him he's not playing for the Tigers in 2023. They pay him $40 Mill regardless of whether he plays or not. But you're making the assumption that Miggy can FORCE the team to put him on the opening 26? Can FORCE the team to play him?

That's just not true.

Why would they pay him $40 million?